List Mgmt. 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand all the Masto hate. Seriously, some of you should ease up on it.

What part of the most penalised player in the AFL for holding the ball in season 2016, don't you get.
Every time he is tackled he gets pinged for HTB as he has zero strength.
Easy to coach against as he runs away from physical contact for rear of being tackled and coughing up another free kick.
When he is in vicinity of the ball opposition let him get the ball and then pounce and tackle him causing a turnover.

The game is more and more about contested possession and clearances at stoppage's and thats an area where if you can neither break a tackle or lay a tackle then you become a serious liability to the team.

Thats the place where Masten now finds himself .

Hopefully we draft well enough on Friday night that he becomes no more that a depth player.

Good servant of the Club in the past, but his deficiencies are now proving counter productive and causing anguish to many Eagles fans ..... hence the displeasure with # 7.

As for easing up! No chance , in fact I believe the criticism will only grow in veracity and volume.

Is that a genuine stat?

Yes, unfortunately it is.

He was roasted for the stat in an Eagle Eye segment by Kennedy and the Badger in a little fluff piece on the Eagles website after his 150 the game.

I disagree. It's just the way it's worded and the past tense that makes it confusing:

"Although we've got some elite talent through the middle of the ground, we probably felt like we could do with an extra couple of players through there that are good ball-winning players who are strong on the inside but also can use the ball well.

We feel like we've added to that department [the midfield] and in the off-season with the injury to Nic and with Scotty Lycett coming back from a PCL we targeted Nathan Vardy as a forward-ruck option and were able to secure that deal as well.

In terms of list need, you're always looking for two, three or four years ahead and we feel like any young tall player that could be added to the list would be beneficial (to replace) a couple of players down the track once they retire."

My reading of it is that they feel they have addressed the midfield shortcomings that they identified in the past, and are now looking to shore up their tall stocks.
I agree, I think that they think our midfield is good enough

Umm are we talking about the Cunnington from the Roos? If so when the **** did we become so mediocre. At pick 12 I want someone better than a B grader
Since and including Ben's draft year, the following have been picked up at 12:

Charlie Curnow
Corey Ellis
Ben Lennon
Kristian Jaksch
Sam Docherty
Lucas Cook
Kane Lucas

Docherty looks able to surpass Cunnington's contributions. Lennon is a chance to earn a career on a HFF. Corey Ellis has a great leg, some run and little else. Too early to call on Curnow, I can understand why some would be hopeful.

Acknowledging that folk picked after these positions were eligible for selection loco, I don't think there's a precedent for expecting a far grander result than Cunnington, who is a strong contested presence and tackler, not an abominable user and is one of the most physically balanced players in the comp. You're welcome to want someone better and I'm not spruiking complacency, but I think circumspection is something to be wielded when considering the nature of selecting seventeen-year-olds in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won't be pick 12 anyway. More like 14 or 15

The footy prophet has done their phantom:

WEST COAST EAGLESNicholas Coggins

13: Shai Bolton | South Fremantle | 175cm | 69kg | MID
40: Jack Graham | North Adelaide | 180cm | 81kg | MID
55: Jake Waterman | Claremont | 190cm | 94kg | FWD

When looking at West Coast’s list, I think there aren’t many weaknesses. Starting off with pick 14, I was very keen on seeing what quality I could get through the door. I really wanted to get a tall prospect, although personally, I’m very keen on Shai Bolton. West Coast fans should be excited if you get him through the door, he has untapped potential for coaches to work with. Jack Graham at pick 40, to me, was a bit too hard to pass on, I really wanted a forward half player, although I knew getting Jake Waterman later was possible.

http://footyprophet.com/fp-2016-phantom-draft-the-review/

Since and including Ben's draft year, the following have been picked up at 12:

Charlie Curnow
Corey Ellis
Ben Lennon
Kristian Jaksch
Sam Docherty
Lucas Cook
Kane Lucas

Docherty looks able to surpass Cunnington's contributions. Lennon is a chance to earn a career on a HFF. Corey Ellis has a great leg, some run and little else. Too early to call on Curnow, I can understand why some would be hopeful.

Acknowledging that folk picked after these positions were eligible for selection loco, I don't think there's a precedent for expecting a far grander result than Cunnington, who is a strong contested presence and tackler, not an abominable user and is one of the most physically balanced players in the comp. You're welcome to want someone better and I'm not spruiking complacency, but I think circumspection is something to be wielded when considering the nature of selecting seventeen-year-olds in the draft.
Out of interest, players picked at 13, 14 or 15 since 2000:

Pick 13
Ashley McGrath Brisbane Lions South Fremantle 2000
Nick Dal Santo St Kilda Bendigo U18 2001
Byron Schammer Fremantle West Adelaide 2002
Brent Stanton Essendon Northern U18 2003
Matthew Bate Melbourne Eastern U18 2004
Shannon Hurn West Coast Central District 2005
Jack Riewoldt Richmond Tasmania U18 2006
Brad Ebert West Coast Port Adelaide (SANFL) 2007
Tom T. Lynch St Kilda Sandringham U18 2008
Daniel Talia Adelaide Calder U18 2009
Seb Tape Gold Coast Glenelg 2010
Taylor Adams Greater Western Sydney Geelong U18 2011
Jesse Lonergan Gold Coast Launceston 2012
Patrick Cripps Carlton East Fremantle 2013
Lachlan Weller Fremantle Southport/Broadbeach 2014
Matthew Kennedy Greater Western Sydney Collingullie Ashmont Kapooka 2015

Pick 14
Daniel Harris North Melbourne Bendigo U18 2000
Ashley Watson North Melbourne Bendigo U18 2001
Daniel Bell Melbourne Glenelg 2002
Fergus Watts Adelaide Sandringham U18 2003
Angus Monfries Essendon Sturt 2004
Grant Birchall Hawthorn Devonport 2005
James Sellar Adelaide Glenelg 2006
Jack Grimes Melbourne Northern U18 2007
Ayce Cordy Western Bulldogs Geelong U18 2008
Lewis Jetta Sydney Swans Swan Districts 2009
Brodie Smith Adelaide Woodville-West Torrens 2010
Devon Smith Greater Western Sydney Geelong U18 2011
Aidan Corr Greater Western Sydney Northern U18 2012
Cam McCarthy Greater Western Sydney South Fremantle 2013
Jake Lever Adelaide Calder U18 2014
Eric Hipwood Brisbane Lions Aspley 2015

Pick 15
Simon Wiggins Carlton Tasmania U18 2000
Barry Brooks Port Adelaide Tasmania U18 2001
Nicholas Smith Melbourne Norwood 2002
Troy Chaplin Port Adelaide North Ballarat U18 2003
Lynden Dunn Melbourne Calder U18 2004
Travis Varcoe Geelong Central District 2005
Daniel O'Keefe Sydney Swans Geelong U18 2006
Robbie Tarrant North Melbourne Bendigo U18 2007
Mitchell W. Brown Geelong Sandringham U18 2008
Christian Howard Western Bulldogs Glenelg 2009
Billie Smedts Geelong Geelong U18 2010
Brandon Ellis Richmond Calder U18 2011
Taylor Garner North Melbourne Dandenong U18 2012
Zak Jones Sydney Swans Dandenong U18 2013
Jarrod Garlett Gold Coast South Fremantle 2014
Daniel Rioli Richmond North Ballarat U18 2015

Great hit rate for pick 13.

Galluci looks ok, I've only got highlight vids to go on but neat looking player, ball drop is a bit unorthodox especially on his left but seems to work ok.
Brodie has good ordinary player written all over him, looks for the handball a bit too much, has the little throw handball down pat though which could come in handy.

When looking at West Coast’s list, I think there aren’t many weaknesses. Starting off with pick 14, I was very keen on seeing what quality I could get through the door. I really wanted to get a tall prospect, although personally, I’m very keen on Shai Bolton. West Coast fans should be excited if you get him through the door, he has untapped potential for coaches to work with. Jack Graham at pick 40, to me, was a bit too hard to pass on, I really wanted a forward half player, although I knew getting Jake Waterman later was possible.

No thanks on Graham, the bloke cannot kick! Shame, but I find it hard to believe that can be easily rectified.

That's a pretty shit draft for us.

He passes over Dylan Clarke and Tom Williamson at our second.

Comments that he wanted to get us a tall prospect but then passes on Brennan Cox and picks Jack Graham who cant hit the side of a barn.

And to top it off he doesn't use our fourth pick.

3/10 for that crappy effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back