2016 AFL Fixture Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon wait ten years, bring in the Perth Jets and Tassie Devils and have a 19 round season where everyone plays each other once, rotating home v away each year.

Makes each game a little more special, keeps the blockbusters, gives players their second bye (even with keeping the pre-finals weekend off) and total H&A games only drop from 198 under the current system to 190.

Perfect.

I reckon wait ten years, bring in the Perth Jets and Tassie Devils and have a 19 round season where everyone plays each other once, rotating home v away each year.

Makes each game a little more special, keeps the blockbusters, gives players their second bye (even with keeping the pre-finals weekend off) and total H&A games only drop from 198 under the current system to 190.

Perfect.
Too many sides diluting the talent at the moment.

I would prefer we reduce back to 16 teams, who all play each other home & away.

30 minor round season & increase squads.

Every team have 10% + increased squads as they must rest each player for at least 3 games per season.

Kill off pre-season & the byes as players get a rest & eat into cricket season.

Ps. I agree there should be a Tassie team.

funniest thing I've heard about the draw so far is a bombers supporter at work saying the AFL hate them and their draw is harder than ours because they go to Perth and Adelaide twice :rolleyes:

Complaining about traveling interstate four times in a season?

what-you-talkin-bout-willis-370x229.jpg

Complaining about traveling interstate four times in a season?

what-you-talkin-bout-willis-370x229.jpg
Woosha only took on the role on the understanding he wouldn't need to travel at all! ;)

Perfect.

Doubt any team will be called 'Perth' as the WAFL side own Perth Football Club intellectual property - that's why West Coast aren't simply called Perth

Doubt any team will be called 'Perth' as the WAFL side own Perth Football Club intellectual property - that's why West Coast aren't simply called Perth
I doubt the AFL will expand in our lifetime!
Relocation is the only reasonable approach, couple of Melbourne teams to piss off

20 is likely too many teams but I want a team in Tassie - they bloody deserve it - and I like the idea of a 'clean' draw/fixture without any double-ups.

A 30 week season is a little too long IMHO, and I don't like the idea of forcing players to miss games. I want the best players out there every week.

Perfect.

Problem is I think other teams will drop out or be relocated to tassie before then.

Anyone thinking of going to Perth to watch the crows next year, Virgin have a sale on at the moment.

$318 return, leaving morning of Friday June 10th coming back Sunday night (Crows play Saturday night).

We're doing this as our golf/footy trip next year (went to Geelong this year), Joondalup & Kennedy Bay here we come!!

I still think the easiest solution to the draw is to just even things out.

Every team has 1 rivarily double up per year, the remaining 4 double up games are played against the other 16 teams over the course of four seasons. The other games where you only play teams once works on an alternating basis where you play them one year at home and the next away. This eliminates the rubbish where sides play one team for three years straight at the same venue (like what has happened with Carlton).

So basically over a period of 4 seasons you play your rival side 8 times and play every other team in the AFL five times. I think something along those lines is fair and at least each year the draw would actually make some sense.

Sadly it will never happen because the AFL panders too much to the Vic clubs and would mean that the Victorian clubs would have to travel roughly 5 times a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's more than just who you play - it's:
  • injuries to us and them
  • sickness of us and them
  • form of us and them
  • suspensions for us and them
  • previous games of us and them
  • travel of us and them
  • etc ...
Oils ain't oils.
While you're correct in noting that there are other factors, the fixture is undeniably one of the two biggest factors which determines a team's success. Injuries is the other factor.

For what it's worth, I've bolded two of the factors you included on your list. They are directly 100% fixture related, which is self-defeating when you're trying to argue that the fixture isn't a major factor.

It's not just who you play. It's where and when you play them, and the context of the game - travel, recovery time since the last game, ... All of this is directly related to the fixture.

While you're correct in noting that there are other factors, the fixture is undeniably one of the two biggest factors which determines a team's success. Injuries is the other factor.

For what it's worth, I've bolded two of the factors you included on your list. They are directly 100% fixture related, which is self-defeating when you're trying to argue that the fixture isn't a major factor.

It's not just who you play. It's where and when you play them, and the context of the game - travel, recovery time since the last game, ... All of this is directly related to the fixture.
Again - very shallow rebuttal there Vader.

So you think that the fixture is the major factor, genius. Talk about trying to change the argument.

Right above what you quoted, in the exact post, I said:

If you are saying that the teams we play will have an influence on our chance of success or failure - yep, of course. But you can only dissect that in hindsight.

Lets look at the two things you think defeat my point.

1) Previous games - if you don't know how good each team is - which we don't - then how can you say which previous games are tough or easy?
2) Travel - same thing, maybe we travel before we play a weak team? Maybe we don't hit any tough teams after a trip to WA?

Ordinary effort big fella. If you can't see that the fixture is impossible to read this far out from any games - you are lost.

The two biggest factors that influence success are injuries and fixture? So if Carlton get no injuries next year what will they achieve?

I still think the easiest solution to the draw is to just even things out.

Every team has 1 rivarily double up per year, the remaining 4 double up games are played against the other 16 teams over the course of four seasons. The other games where you only play teams once works on an alternating basis where you play them one year at home and the next away. This eliminates the rubbish where sides play one team for three years straight at the same venue (like what has happened with Carlton).

So basically over a period of 4 seasons you play your rival side 8 times and play every other team in the AFL five times. I think something along those lines is fair and at least each year the draw would actually make some sense.

Sadly it will never happen because the AFL panders too much to the Vic clubs and would mean that the Victorian clubs would have to travel roughly 5 times a year.

It is simple isn't it. Though as you say it wont happen. But not necessarily for that reason, I believe all Vic teams travel five times this year??

The reason it wont happen is because the Vic clubs need to play each other as often as possible to make money. The fixture is calculated to maximise Vic clubs playing each other.

Is also the reason we play in Victoria so much. We are the best travelling supporter base in the league.

The two biggest factors that influence success are injuries and fixture? So if Carlton get no injuries next year what will they achieve?
Talent is obviously a requirement as well. If you have two teams of roughly similar ability (e.g. Adelaide, Richmond & Footscray) then injuries & fixture are the biggest factors.

Kangas A 1-0
Port H 2-0
Tigers A 3-0
Swans H 3-1
Hawks A 3-2
Freo H 4-3
Dogs A 5-3
Cats H 6-3
Suns A 7-3
Giants H 8-3
Saints H 9-3
Eagles A 9-4
Bye
any chance we can be 9-4 at the bye? with top 4 in sight?

Kangas A 1-0
Port H 2-0
Tigers A 3-0
Swans H 3-1
Hawks A 3-2
Freo H 4-3
Dogs A 5-3
Cats H 6-3
Suns A 7-3
Giants H 8-3
Saints H 9-3
Eagles A 9-4
Bye
No.

Kangas A 1-0
Port H 2-0
Tigers A 3-0
Swans H 3-1
Hawks A 3-2
Freo H 4-3
Dogs A 5-3
Cats H 6-3
Suns A 7-3
Giants H 8-3
Saints H 9-3
Eagles A 9-4
Bye

Our chances of being 9-4 by the bye aren't good unless we can figure out how to fit thirteen games into twelve rounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 AFL Fixture Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back