2024 Fixture

Did the AFL actually compensate us in the fixture for last year's finals debacle?

• Sort of - Better difficulty, but commercial fixture as expected or worse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Notice how they only ever have double headers where one of the games is a non Vic Vs non Vic?
They find it so hard to have non Vic teams play in primetime that they just have to have Melbourne teams on at the same time.
It's a ****ing joke really. There was no clearer indicator of how they feel about non Vic sides when they felt the need to "double header" the ****ing Showdown.

Finally got a Friday night Showdown and they booted it behind the paywall. It's fine though because the game ended up being a fizzer.

e65e4b4d63ef056eb125b3e3221b6993.jpg

Agree.
It seems unfair from our perspective but I wonder if the commercial reality for ch7 is so strong, the AFL must be understanding (appeasing) to their most significant income stream of the entire AFL.

Does anyone have data on the size of the AFL TV market in Victoria vs the rest of Australia? In absolute population it's easy to work out but the AFL TV viewers might well be quite different.
It's been fascinating for me to sit back and watch how the AFL has manipulated what people think is most important.
Think about how often we hear about the 'huge' crowds at MCG games in the commentary. Or how we all clap when crowd numbers are announced at games. Or how the AFL constantly promote their record attendance rounds etc...
Why? Why has attendance numbers become so important and something we have to celebrate?

Sure it's important to the AFL. Sure it's important to their marketing team. But why the f@#$ should I care?
Could we not forgo 10% on attendance for a more even and fair competition? That's what we should be focussed on. That's what we should be clapping and celebrating.

We are all being gaslit by the VFL.

Back