2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

The writing is o the wall for Masten, if he doesn't perform he will get traded next year. I see a pivotal point in Jack Darlings career this year with McGovern set to take the 2nd tall spot if he doesn't perform also, Hills days are numbered too but its all good for those 3 having to step up or have their spots taken as it leads to competitiveness in the squad for spots.
Masten is a free agent. Geez really tough on Darling. He had no preseason and its expected he will be average. A fit darling should aid Jk and expect him to kick 45-55 goals next year. Gov Wont take the second forward spot as he will be played as a swingmen. I agree about hill, he seems to be a player that only performs when the heat is on.

Darling is deliver or play WAFL for my liking, I expected so much from this lad but he really has failed to deliver much. GF still burnt into my memory.

Darling is deliver or play WAFL for my liking, I expected so much from this lad but he really has failed to deliver much. GF still burnt into my memory.
Ridiculous post. Horror GF, not alone, but did pretty well in his 2015 games given his injury problems at the start of the year.

how? 56 goals, 42 and 39 goals leading up to the year. For a second key forward those numbers are pretty good. Those 42, 39 goals could have been better considering the delivery to the forward line was crap or non existent at time during 2013/14. He had 0 preseason last year and after a strong first few weeks, his formed weakened due to a lack of fitness. A strong preseason sets up a players year and hence why nic nat and many other good players have had bad seasons due to lack of preseason training. Also Darling is 23 and theoretically 1-2 years off hitting his prime and in fact kennedy kit his prime at 24. Jack Darling is one of the most valuable young key forwards in the game at the moment. expect him to have a break out year in 2016.

Yeah I agree scrap Darling and that Kennedy and the LeCras guy too - all list cloggers. We've got Allen and based on the couple of minutes of footage I have seen of him he is clearly better than those three combined and will kick 100+ in 2016.
Not Allen, but Lamb will soon take Darling's place - bookmark it! :rainbow:

Not Allen, but Lamb will soon take Darling's place - bookmark it! :rainbow:
If he has a solid pre-season I'd be playing Lamb as well but probably not at the expense of Darling as I reckon he's due for cracker in 2016 as well. JK + Lamb + Darling + LeCras would be a pretty dominant forward line I think - 4 solid leading and marking targets.

If he has a solid pre-season I'd be playing Lamb as well but probably not at the expense of Darling as I reckon he's due for cracker in 2016 as well. JK + Lamb + Darling + LeCras would be a pretty dominant forward line I think - 4 solid leading and marking targets.
only way i see this is if Gov plays as a defender or else we will be too tall with 4 talls and a resting ruckmen.I personally like gov as a defender so i dont mind seeing Gov, Lamb and jk with lycett and nic nat rotating through. Should have lamb play as the linkmen like tom lynch from adelaide.

AFL.com's attempt at our best 22. All in all not a bad effort, except for the lack of Duggan.

B: Sharrod Wellingham, Eric Mackenzie, Shannon Hurn
HB: Will Schofield, Jeremy McGovern, Brad Sheppard
C: Andrew Gaff, Matt Priddis, Elliot Yeo
HF: Chris Masten, Jack Darling, Lewis Jetta
F: Mark LeCras, Josh Kennedy, Jamie Cripps
Foll: Nic Naitanui, Jack Redden, Luke Shuey
I/C: Dom Sheed, Xavier Ellis, Scott Lycett, Mark Hutchings

DEPTH
Key-position defenders: Tom Barrass, Mitch Brown
General defenders: Corey Adamson*,Jamie Bennell,Sam Butler, Paddy Brophy*, Tom Cole, Jackson Nelson
Key-position forwards: Fraser McInnes
General forwards: Matthew Allen, Josh Hill, Malcolm Karpany, Tom Lamb, Patrick McGinnity, Simon Tunbridge*
Midfielders: Damien Cavka, Brant Colledge*, Liam Duggan, Kane Lucas*, Kurt Mutimer, Luke Partington, Jordan Snadden*, Alec Waterman*
Rucks: Jonathan Giles

Adam Simpson admitted for most of last season he did not know what his best 22 was, given the injury issues the Eagles had. Now he has incredible depth and flexibility at his disposal. Matt Rosa and Callum Sinclair come out of the Grand Final side after being traded. Scott Lycett would get another opportunity first up but he will need to perform consistently. Jack Redden would come into the midfield rotation for Rosa but he will be under pressure from Liam Duggan, who looks ready to claim a permanent spot in the line-up. Lewis Jetta comes in for Josh Hill as a forward who can push up in the midfield and it would allow Simpson the flexibility of swinging Jeremy McGovern forward. Eric Mackenzie comes back into the defence and someone would be desperately unlucky. In this case Sam Butler would miss but he could easily play at any stage depending on how the Eagles want to structure their defence. - Alex Malcolm

AFL.com's attempt at our best 22. All in all not a bad effort, except for the lack of Duggan.

B: Sharrod Wellingham, Eric Mackenzie, Shannon Hurn
HB: Will Schofield, Jeremy McGovern, Brad Sheppard
C: Andrew Gaff, Matt Priddis, Elliot Yeo
HF: Chris Masten, Jack Darling, Lewis Jetta
F: Mark LeCras, Josh Kennedy, Jamie Cripps
Foll: Nic Naitanui, Jack Redden, Luke Shuey
I/C: Dom Sheed, Xavier Ellis, Scott Lycett, Mark Hutchings

DEPTH
Key-position defenders: Tom Barrass, Mitch Brown
General defenders: Corey Adamson*,Jamie Bennell,Sam Butler, Paddy Brophy*, Tom Cole, Jackson Nelson
Key-position forwards: Fraser McInnes
General forwards: Matthew Allen, Josh Hill, Malcolm Karpany, Tom Lamb, Patrick McGinnity, Simon Tunbridge*
Midfielders: Damien Cavka, Brant Colledge*, Liam Duggan, Kane Lucas*, Kurt Mutimer, Luke Partington, Jordan Snadden*, Alec Waterman*
Rucks: Jonathan Giles

Adam Simpson admitted for most of last season he did not know what his best 22 was, given the injury issues the Eagles had. Now he has incredible depth and flexibility at his disposal. Matt Rosa and Callum Sinclair come out of the Grand Final side after being traded. Scott Lycett would get another opportunity first up but he will need to perform consistently. Jack Redden would come into the midfield rotation for Rosa but he will be under pressure from Liam Duggan, who looks ready to claim a permanent spot in the line-up. Lewis Jetta comes in for Josh Hill as a forward who can push up in the midfield and it would allow Simpson the flexibility of swinging Jeremy McGovern forward. Eric Mackenzie comes back into the defence and someone would be desperately unlucky. In this case Sam Butler would miss but he could easily play at any stage depending on how the Eagles want to structure their defence. - Alex Malcolm
Butler should be in the team instead of Ellis based on their respective seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The afl actually did a good job with their 22 this year. Looks pretty balanced with no big holes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
didn't they have Paddy in there not too long ago? :$

Pretty sure the AFL site's main strategy is to look at the b22 from the previous season, and add in any experienced players that get traded in. They rarely predict that first or second year players break into a team, but history shows there are usually quite a few players like this after preseason come round 1. (Thankfully, otherwise fantasy football would be way too hard.)

It's a good strategy to get a majority of the players right, but it's a conservative guess at what things will look like. E.g. last year's prediction for b22:

B: Will Schofield, Eric Mackenzie, Sam Butler
HB: Shannon Hurn, Mitch Brown, Xavier Ellis
C: Matt Rosa, Matt Priddis, Andrew Gaff
HF: Mark LeCras, Josh Kennedy, Sharrod Wellingham
F: Jack Darling, Jeremy McGovern, Jamie Cripps
R: Nic Naitanui, Scott Selwood, Luke Shuey
I/C: Scott Lycett, Elliot Yeo, Chris Masten
Sub: Patrick McGinnity
New: Nil
Unavailable: Nil
Comment: The Eagles never had a fully fit squad to choose from last season so Adam Simpson never got the chance to reveal his first-choice 22. The queries with this line-up surround Beau Waters' fitness and structural match-ups for their starting opponents, the Western Bulldogs. Waters will likely be declared fit but he has not played for 18 months and he is still yet to do full contact training - he could potentially slot into defence should he string some games together in the pre-season. Jamie Bennell and Brad Sheppard are also fighting for roles as small defenders but Sam Butler's finish to last season probably has him in the team. Mark Hutchings could mount a strong case for a role in the midfield rotation or as the sub. It would take an extraordinary performance in the pre-season for any of the first or second-year players to break into the Eagles' line-up. - Alex Malcolm

To be fair I 'spose Sheed, Nelson and Lamb did all have good preseasons, but still it's not extraordinary for a couple of young players each year to do so.

Like I said, bookmark it brah

119970.jpg

People tough on Darling again IMO, yes had some horror games last year mainly the GF but he had next to no pre season, he is only 23 with 103 games to his name and next year will most likely move well into our top 10 goal kickers of all time.

This guy will (hopefully) go to the next level and prove why he is not only best 22 but easily top 10.

Has few things to work on still but next year is going to be a big one for JD I reckon

All of the other teams in the competition would give their left nut to have Darling, and throw in their right nut too to beat out the other teams to his signature.

Unbelievable that we have a poster seriously suggesting he should be on the trade table.

People tough on Darling again IMO, yes had some horror games last year mainly the GF but he had next to no pre season, he is only 23 with 103 games to his name and next year will most likely move well into our top 10 goal kickers of all time.

This guy will (hopefully) go to the next level and prove why he is not only best 22 but easily top 10.

Has few things to work on still but next year is going to be a big one for JD I reckon

Finally someone else with perspective on Jack

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back