2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree with the masten statement aswell, his best or most usefull season was 2012 where he played as a high half forward, masto kicked 20 goals 9 behinds and averaged 22 disposals and 4.5 inside 50's. since then his disposal has become cleaner and he could once again thrive in that position.
That was 2012 though! That's like us expecting Jetta to kick 45 next season because he did so that same year. Sorry but when you have kicked a total of 16 goals in the past three years and your most recent goal accuracy is 13% you surely aren't in line to push forward as a goal scorer.

Could Duggsy play HBF?

Seems like the 7th defender spot is really up for grabs, and there is also difficulty in squeezing all our mids in.

Could be the solution.
I might be alone here...but I want Dugg kicking the i50's

I reckon we have heaps of options down back. Schoey can play smaller this year, wellers, shep, butler, nelson, hurn. Duggs is about as good a kick as we have and I'd prefer to see him hitting forwards on the tit.:thumbsu:

I reckon we have heaps of options down back. Schoey can play smaller this year, wellers, shep, butler, nelson, hurn. Duggs is about as good a kick as we have and I'd prefer to see him hitting forwards on the tit.:thumbsu:

Yeah I don't disagree.

It's just that one or two of Duggan, Masten or Hill miss the team if someone like Ellis/Butler/Nelson is our 7th defender.

Im torn as i like to see duggan be a weapon in the attacking half and use his great foot skills and decsion making to hurt the oppo but i would also like him to be a hodge like player that can be that reliable half back player with elite foot skills from defence. However, i would like duggan to develop into an elite inside/outside midthat can possibley play through half back like pendlebury has done in recent years.

Im torn as i like to see duggan be a weapon in the attacking half and use his great foot skills and decsion making to hurt the oppo but i would also like him to be a hodge like player that can be that reliable half back player with elite foot skills from defence. However, i would like duggan to develop into an elite inside/outside midthat can possibley play through half back like pendlebury has done in recent years.
I don't really get this whole '7th defender' thing. It's just another utility/mid who can rotate between midfield and the back flank - I think you need 4 true defenders and then the rest are just utilities who can chop out down back if required.

Don't need 7 purely negating players. The only difference between Butler the mid and Butler the defender is his lack of foot speed.

Does this make sense?

You need 7 players who are going to play in defence. Quite often we play a spare man, so have 7 at a time. Also need some time on the bench so there will be a need for an 8th player from the midfield to chop out. The 7th defender can't just be a chop out, because then we don't have enough defenders.

In 2015 our standard 7 defenders were McGovern, Schofield, Hurn, Sheppard, Wellingham, Ellis and Butler. None of them were part-time defenders, none of them spent too much time in the midfield.

I don't really get this whole '7th defender' thing. It's just another utility/mid who can rotate between midfield and the back flank - I think you need 4 true defenders and then the rest are just utilities who can chop out down back if required.

Don't need 7 purely negating players. The only difference between Butler the mid and Butler the defender is his lack of foot speed.

Does this make sense?
Doesn't to me . I feel that a solid back 6 + one or two that can rotate through if needed is vital . If your backline is settled and knows their role you can not just stop the other team from scoring but can launch attacks with precision allowing your mids to run forward of the play with confidence .

Edit - now see you say ' negating ' defenders .
Makes more sense but I still think if you are in defence you defend first and attack second . No point having a really attacking player who can't defend . You end up with a yarran who for all the rebound he gives your team you lose it on the scoreboard from his loose checking

Last edited:
Wellingham Mackenzie McGovern
Hurn Schofield Sheppard
Jetta Priddis Gaff
LeCras Darling Yeo
Cripps Kennedy Lycett

Naitanui Redden Shuey

Nelson Sheed Masten Duggan

Butler Brown Brophy
Bennell Barrass Ellis
Cavka Waterman Lucas
McGinnity Lamb Karpany
Hill McInnes Allen

Giles Hutchings Partington

Mutimer Cole Colledge Adamson
Rookie Rookie
I think I've come to realise that Darling doesn't make a good second key position player. He would be the perfect third key as he can play big and small.

I'd like to see Kennedy team up with someone else. McGovern we have to try it, anyway it's not like we can't cover him down back with EMac and Brown back in the side.

It's great finally having quality depth.

Lot of competition for spots.

Partington is one I think could play R1 if needed too.

Very exciting year ahead.
I don't think I can ever recall a time even in 05,06 where we had depth as much as we do now. Some serious talent will be unfortunately out playing WAFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I've come to realise that Darling doesn't make a good second key position player. He would be the perfect third key as he can play big and small.

I'd like to see Kennedy team up with someone else. McGovern we have to try it, anyway it's not like we can't cover him down back with EMac and Brown back in the side.

There is Lycett who will be down there. Not sure if he counts. But most teams count their ruck/fwd as one of their talls.

ins :Jetta, Redden, Lycett, Duggan
outs: Rosa, Hutchings, Sheed, Sinclair

Butler McKenzie Hurn
Wellingham Schofield Sheppard
Jetta Priddis Gaff
Darling Gov Hill
Lecras Kennedy Cripps

Naitanui Yeo Shuey

ICB Lycett ,Redden, Duggan, Masten

This my 22 , changes to fwd line and backline very minimal and I compared replacements for the outs below.* I`ve probably missed someone somewhere .
Sheed v Redden
Hutchings v Duggan
Rosa v Jetta
Sinclair v Lycett
* Ellis v Emac

Last edited:

Butler McKenzie Hurn
Jetta Priddis Gaff
Darling Gov Hill
Lecras Kennedy Cripps

Naitanui Yeo Shuey

This my 22 , changes to fwd line and backline very minimal and I compared replacements for the outs below. I`ve probably missed someone somewhere .
Sheed v Redden
Hutchings v Duggan
Rosa v Jetta
Sinclair v Lycett

agree about everything except sheed.

Butler McKenzie Hurn
Jetta Priddis Gaff
Darling Gov Hill
Lecras Kennedy Cripps

Naitanui Yeo Shuey

This my 22 , changes to fwd line and backline very minimal and I compared replacements for the outs below. I`ve probably missed someone somewhere .
Sheed v Redden
Hutchings v Duggan
Rosa v Jetta
Sinclair v Lycett
Assuming this is changes from GF team? If so, you missed EMac instead of Ellis. This as a line-up for round 1 seems very reasonable to me.

I re-watched the first final and then the first quarter of the GF early this morning. Must admit Sheed was pretty ordinary in both from what I saw. But he's only young, he'll bounce back. Will watch the other 3 qtrs of the GF when I can build up enough strength :)

Assuming this is changes from GF team? If so, you missed EMac instead of Ellis. This as a line-up for round 1 seems very reasonable to me.

I re-watched the first final and then the first quarter of the GF early this morning. Must admit Sheed was pretty ordinary in both from what I saw. But he's only young, he'll bounce back. Will watch the other 3 qtrs of the GF when I can build up enough strength :)

The missed opportunities are really glaring in the 1st half of the 3rd quarter some good goals by Gov at the end and the goal by Hill was very classy .

I struggled to leave Sheed out but in the end right or wrong call I chose Duggan and Masten ahead of him .
Hill, Cripps and Lecras form a good variety as fwds and have combined with Kennedy to really kick winning scores so no changes there .
For me hill is expendable as he lacks consistency and at some point his form will just drop(always has and always will) and only start performing when the heats on. With Yeo spending more time forward and jetta and shuey rotating through the forward line, we cover hill pretty easily. Not to mention a fully fit darling will provide us 55-45 goals and lycett provide us 20- 15 goals. Sheed is a young kid and like all kids, he did have some off games including the GF but there were plenty of senior players that had the same impact as him.

B: Wellingham McKenzie Hurn
HB: Nelson Schofield Sheppard
C: Jetta Priddis Gaff
HF: Darling Gov Hill
F: Lecras Kennedy Cripps

FOLL: Naitanui Redden Shuey

BENCH: Lycett ,Yeo, Sheed, Duggan

On last years form I would probably have put Masten on the wing instead of Jetta but in terms of having a higher ceiling I have gone with Jetta. Hopefully he rediscovers some of his earlier form. I have included Duggan instead of Masten because I believe his ceiling is higher also. Yeo and Gov to be swing men and move around as needed, though i would like to see Yeo primarily through the middle unless holes need to be plugged. I chose Nelson over Ellis and Butler because at his best he is pretty good and on the up-swing unlike the other two who are in the decline. Saw Jacko kick two goals for EP from the midfield and thought he could play, would trust him to rotate through the middle more than Ellis or Butler as well.

Join Spaceclef and I on that train

For me hill is expendable as he lacks consistency and at some point his form will just drop(always has and always will) and only start performing when the heats on. With Yeo spending more time forward and jetta and shuey rotating through the forward line, we cover hill pretty easily. Not to mention a fully fit darling will provide us 55-45 goals and lycett provide us 20- 15 goals. Sheed is a young kid and like all kids, he did have some off games including the GF but there were plenty of senior players that had the same impact as him.
The old hill tirades.

How many goals did Hill kick again in 2015?

Every player that does not perform is expendable.

Hill was absolutely more valuable to WC in 2015 than Darling and Lycett, 2016 has cause to be different again but let's not understate Darlings underwhelming season.

Hill played his position better than Darling played his in 2015. Undeniable

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back