2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

i Love the eagles and our fans but so many people have short term memory. it only takes 1 bad season for everyone to jumper on a players back. Happened to Nic nat, shuey and gaff in 13/14, selwood in 14,15 and JD now. I wont be surprised if Duggan gets the same treatement in a few years time. i really cant stand it when people do it and they should take their blinkers off.

i Love the eagles and our fans but so many people have short term memory. it only takes 1 bad season for everyone to jumper on a players back. Happened to Nic nat, shuey and gaff in 13/14, selwood in 14,15 and JD now. I wont be surprised if Duggan gets the same treatement in a few years time. i really cant stand it when people do it and they should take their blinkers off.

I know:

Nic Nat 14 (no pre season) - Sux delist.

Nic Nat 15 (full pre-season) - So awesome best in da leeg

JD 15 (no pre-season) - Darling sux and isn't clutch

JD 16 (full pre-season) - Do I actually need to instruct you losers to connect the dots? Way too many ******s (I'm looking at you SpaceClef ) have been writing off a man who started training half way through the season.

Do any Footy critics actually use their brains or is it all left to me again?

Using common sense is exhausting some times

Last edited:

Duggan wont ever have a bad season.

Early days of pre-season but thought I'd get my first predictions in early (no doubt I'll change them a million times between now and the start of the season). Who I think they are likely to line up Round 1, 2016:

B Hurn MacKenzie Schofield
HB Wellingham McGovern Sheppard
C Gaff Priddis Jetta
HF LeCras Darling Yeo
F Hill Kennedy Cripps
FOL Natanui Redden Shuey
I/C Lycett Masten Duggan/Sheed Butler

And here are my predictions for movement in our B22 in 2016:
  • Lamb will eventually replace Hill - he will also be used as a swingman
  • McGovern will start back but may swing forward at times - having Lamb in the team means they can effectively swap sides of the field mid game if we want
  • Lycett will possibly have the most pressure to perform and he will step up
  • Duggan/Sheed will eventually replace Masten
  • Nelson or Ellis may eventually replace Butler but they are a fair way behind based on 2015 form
  • Darling will have a cracker after a full pre-season
  • Yeo will stamp himself as one of our best mids - Lamb in the team would hopefully help resist Simmo swinging Yeo back instead using him only through the centre, wing and half forward
  • Redden and Jetta will be re-invigorated in a new team and get back to their best
  • Duggan will further develop as an inside mid
  • We won't have the same injury problems we experienced in 2015
  • The fringe will still get games as we will rotate our B26-30 through like Hawthorn does so we are still fresh come the finals

Last edited:
Long way between trading someone and that someone being a genuine top gun of the competition. Darling sits comfortably in between those two.

Very good at what he does, but there are limits to what he can do and some people on this board don't see those limits. Just look at his arms and get a big chub.

Long way between trading someone and that someone being a genuine top gun of the competition. Darling sits comfortably in between those two.

Very good at what he does, but there are limits to what he can do and some people on this board don't see those limits. Just look at his arms and get a big chub.
But his first two seasons were better than Carey

Our midfield depth is still a bit shallow this year I think.

Inside mids: Hutchings, Waterman

Outside mids: Cavka, Lucas, Colledge

I'm still not 100% about what sort of players our draftees are. Also haven't seen enough of Hotline to know if he is inside or outside.

Karpany and Nelson other midfield candidates.

So if we had one midfield injury I'd have Hill into the team. A second midfield injury and Hutch would come in. Beyond that it's wide open.

Our midfield depth is still a bit shallow this year I think.

Inside mids: Hutchings, Waterman

Outside mids: Cavka, Lucas, Colledge

I'm still not 100% about what sort of players our draftees are. Also haven't seen enough of Hotline to know if he is inside or outside.

Karpany and Nelson other midfield candidates.

So if we had one midfield injury I'd have Hill into the team. A second midfield injury and Hutch would come in. Beyond that it's wide open.
Not really as simple as that.

If one of priddis or shuey gets an injury, Yeo becomes a full time mid and Lamb comes in for the rotation. If Gaff gets injured, Jetta moves from HF to the wing and Hill comes in to HF.

If a mid gets injured it's not usually a straight swap for someone outside of the team. Usually a HF or HB replaces the mid with someone from outside the team taking up a HB or HF role

Not really as simple as that.

If one of priddis or shuey gets an injury, Yeo becomes a full time mid and Lamb comes in for the rotation. If Gaff gets injured, Jetta moves from HF to the wing and Hill comes in to HF.

If a mid gets injured it's not usually a straight swap for someone outside of the team. Usually a HF or HB replaces the mid with someone from outside the team taking up a HB or HF role

I said that Hill into the team if a mid is injured. So I think we are in agreement there.

Correct however I'd also have Lecras, Jetta, Nelson, Butler etc as midfield depth. These players would be ahead of those you listed as depth if we were to sustain injuries to our premier mids

Fair enough - I have LeCras as midfield depth too (comes in if Hill comes into team). I have Jetta already in the midfield. I wouldn't play Butler through the midfield, but Nelson definitely could spend more time there as I said. Ellis could maybe rotate through a little bit depending on how the sticky tape is holding up.

Last edited:
JD 15 (no pre-season) - Darling sux and isn't clutch

JD 16 (full pre-season) - Do I actually need to instruct you losers to connect the dots? Way too many ******s (I'm looking at you SpaceClef ) have been writing off a man who started training half way through the season.
STFU - where have I written him off other than the obvious sponsorship remark where I said Lamb would overtake him?

No one at all is writing Darling off, they're just realising that he's not the next Wayne Carey and he does have a few faults like most players do.

He like everyone else in the side needs to perform to keep their place long term, and, like Scott Selwood, injuries can only excuse you so far.

Darling is comfortably best 18, but when you overlook a good midfield prospect like Connor Blakely to (justifiably) take a punt on Tom Lamb, you want to hope that he has every chance to push Darling out of the side if form and fitness permits. No different to Selwood.

People here get so uppity whenever anyone criticises one of the untouchables.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backs: Shannon Hurn Eric Mackenzie Will Schofield

Halfbacks: Sharrod Wellingham Mitch Brown Brad Sheppard

Midfielders: Lewis Jetta Matt Priddis Andrew Gaff

Half forwards: Chris Masten Josh Kennedy Mark Lecras

Forwards: Jamie Cripps Jeremy McGovern Jack Darling

Rucks: Nic Naitanui Luke Shuey Jack Redden

Bench: Scott Lycett, Dom Sheed, Elliot Yeo, Liam Duggan

Here's my crack at our best 22 for next year. The team looks pretty solid, with basically every position filled with a class player. It's been many years since our team had this much depth, which is reflected both by the quality of the players on the bench, and those who missed out on the starting team. The one area of weakness I can see is that our foot skills coming out of defence will be significantly worse in 2016 than they were in 2015 with the return of our 2 key backs. For this reason I would probably prefer to keep the Gov in the defence, where I think his skills and reading of the play are too valuable to give up, but all the early indications are that the Gov will play predominately as a forward. Either way, the team looks darn good, and I can't wait to see where Simmo takes it next.

Backs: Shannon Hurn Eric Mackenzie Will Schofield

Halfbacks: Sharrod Wellingham Mitch Brown Brad Sheppard

Midfielders: Lewis Jetta Matt Priddis Andrew Gaff

Half forwards: Chris Masten Josh Kennedy Mark Lecras

Forwards: Jamie Cripps Jeremy McGovern Jack Darling

Rucks: Nic Naitanui Luke Shuey Jack Redden

Bench: Scott Lycett, Dom Sheed, Elliot Yeo, Liam Duggan

Here's my crack at our best 22 for next year. The team looks pretty solid, with basically every position filled with a class player. It's been many years since our team had this much depth, which is reflected both by the quality of the players on the bench, and those who missed out on the starting team. The one area of weakness I can see is that our foot skills coming out of defence will be significantly worse in 2016 than they were in 2015 with the return of our 2 key backs. For this reason I would probably prefer to keep the Gov in the defence, where I think his skills and reading of the play are too valuable to give up, but all the early indications are that the Gov will play predominately as a forward. Either way, the team looks darn good, and I can't wait to see where Simmo takes it next.

Can't see Yeo starting on the bench in our best 22.

Would be ahead of Masten and Redden at the moment IMO

Can't see Yeo starting on the bench in our best 22.

Would be ahead of Masten and Redden at the moment IMO

Fair enough. He could probably slot in at half forward in Masto's place, he's proven to be pretty deadly up there, and i'm looking forward to seeing what he can do now that he won't be needed down back so frequently.

Fair enough. He could probably slot in at half forward in Masto's place, he's proven to be pretty deadly up there, and i'm looking forward to seeing what he can do now that he won't be needed down back so frequently.
I think Yeo and Redden should rotate through the centre (with Priddis and Shuey) and I'd start Yeo as RR in the centre over Redden personally as I think he is ahead. Both can go forward though and know where the sticks are. Not sure why Redden kicked so few goals the past two years because he was a great kick for goal? Don't know whether he can swing back like Yeo either but if he can that would be really useful for us. Redden has the potential to be a superstar but he needs to clearly prove he is B22 first regardless of us using a first rounder to get him.

Really don't like Masten playing half forward or deeper as he doesn't know where the goals are. Am in two minds about Jetta playing as a winger or half forward as he seems to prosper when he has wide expanses to work in (ie Subi's wings) but if he is given lots of space as a forward (eg Masten plays as a link-up/defensive winger) then he might be better placed at half forward instead.

Of most interest to me is where they develop and play Duggan and Sheed in 2016. Duggan tended to be played off half back last season but he might be ready to play in the centre soon - given our defensive stocks will be full again. And if Sheed has further improved his endurance and can prove his worth up forward then Masten would surely be feeling a bit uncomfortable at keeping his spot. Like your B22 but think it has one too many mids in it.

I think Yeo and Redden should rotate through the centre (with Priddis and Shuey) and I'd start Yeo as RR in the centre over Redden personally as I think he is ahead. Both can go forward though and know where the sticks are. Not sure why Redden kicked so few goals the past two years because he was a great kick for goal? Don't know whether he can swing back like Yeo either but if he can that would be really useful for us. Redden has the potential to be a superstar but he needs to clearly prove he is B22 first regardless of us using a first rounder to get him.

Really don't like Masten playing half forward or deeper as he doesn't know where the goals are. Am in two minds about Jetta playing as a winger or half forward as he seems to prosper when he has wide expanses to work in (ie Subi's wings) but if he is given lots of space as a forward (eg Masten plays as a link-up/defensive winger) then he might be better placed at half forward instead.

Of most interest to me is where they develop and play Duggan and Sheed in 2016. Duggan tended to be played off half back last season but he might be ready to play in the centre soon - given our defensive stocks will be full again. And if Sheed has further improved his endurance and can prove his worth up forward then Masten would surely be feeling a bit uncomfortable at keeping his spot. Like your B22 but think it has one too many mids in it.

Never been a big goal kicker really, only kicked 52 in 6 years and most in a season was 14.

Yea I agree with the one too many mids, as I think generally we like to play 7 defenders. The good thing for us though is that we do have the Gov, Yeo, and Duggo who are all capable of taking turns back there if needed. I tend to agree with Masto and Jetta too, and could definitely see them swapping places.

Never been a big goal kicker really, only kicked 52 in 6 years and most in a season was 14.
In terms of quantity I completely agree. I was referring more to his technique when kicking for goal. Haven't watched enough Brisbane games to know but I don't get why they weren't getting more out of him. He certainly looks a lot better than 52 over 6 year player but obviously that wasn't his role at the Lions. Jetta only kicked 14 last season also, hoping we'll get a lot more than that out of him as well. Confident they will both be better for the change of environment. And if not, we have depth to cover them.

In terms of quantity I completely agree. I was referring more to his technique when kicking for goal. Haven't watched enough Brisbane games to know but I don't get why they weren't getting more out of him. He certainly looks a lot better than 52 over 6 year player but obviously that wasn't his role at the Lions. Jetta only kicked 14 last season also, hoping we'll get a lot more than that out of him as well. Confident they will both be better for the change of environment. And if not, we have depth to cover them.

Had injuries past two years (only played 17 and 14 games compared to all 22 the previous 4 years.

Not too mention the adjustment that had to be made for the recruiting of Beams, Christenson, Robinson as well as having Rocky and Zorko means it's a crowded midfield.

His last 5 weeks of the season were excellent, and had 35 clearances which is more than he had for the first 9 games of his season..

Really looking forward to help he gives us on the inside, don't expect too many goals out of him though

Redden's never kicked 15 goals or more in year and isnt a goal kicking mid. Shuey is better suited to rotating with yeo as the guy is an amazing goal sneak and has the abillity to play like a small forward. He kicked 25 goals this season and barely played in the forward line. I disagree with the masten statement aswell, his best or most usefull season was 2012 where he played as a high half forward, masto kicked 20 goals 9 behinds and averaged 22 disposals and 4.5 inside 50's. since then his disposal has become cleaner and he could once again thrive in that position.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back