2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Some absolute rubbish on this board tonight, and you all know it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

No, will start the season in the 22, but as the season progresses and injuries permitting, there are too many better, more versatile players on the list.

I refer you to his "big game" record, case in point his GF.

cripps is one of the best small pressure forwards a game. His pressure and goal a game makes him an asset to the squad.

Cripps of last year is easily best 22. Easily.

Cripps is best 22, no question. What is this?

Cripps is easily best 22, don't know how anyone who watched last year could argue.

Who's replacing Cripps spot in the 22 then? Easily best 22, with last year's form anyway.

Cripps not best 22? LOLZ.

giphy.gif

Karpany put his hand up yesterday, right?

winking-george.jpg

Cripps in 2015:
  • Played every game
  • Kicked 34 goals (4th best at the club)
  • Laid 139 tackles (7th and most of any forward in the comp and most tackles inside 50 in the comp)
  • Had 22 goal assists (4th best at club, top 10 in the comp)
  • Had 88 Inside 50s (3rd best at the club)
  • Averaged 13.8 touches a game
  • Posted career highs in ever single stat category except contested marks (1 vs a career best 3)
  • Finished 7th in the B&F
He'd be the 4th forward picked in our selection meetings behind Kennedy, Darling and LeCras. In terms of our 22 he'd be in the 10th-15th players picked.

If it was 2014 then he'd be a bottom 6-er, but coming off his 2015 performances he is easily best 22. His 'big game' record is indeed ordinary, and he had 15 touches and kicked 0.1 in the GF. Josh Kennedy had 9 touches and didn't trouble the scorers, Mark LeCras had 16 and kicked 1.2, Jack Darling 10 and 1.1 and Josh Hill 10 and 1.1. Let's not pretend Cripps was an odd one out.

Happy to eat humble pie if he plays consistently well in BIG games - expect you to follow suit if he doesn't
The question remains Mighty Eagles.

Who replaces him?

A reminder of your bold statement below.

No, will start the season in the 22, but as the season progresses and injuries permitting, there are too many better, more versatile players on the list.

I refer you to his "big game" record, case in point his GF.

FWIW - I'm not arguing the point of performances in big games. We've got a few like that unfortunately. I'm backing the lads to correct that.

Happy to eat humble pie if he plays consistently well in BIG games - expect you to follow suit if he doesn't
What's the justification for saying he doesn't play well in BIG games? Just the GF? Did you have a look at his performance in the other two finals last year? Did you also look at his performance in close wins/losses or against top 8 teams during the regular season?

His stats overall (from 2015) are extraordinary but had a quick skim of his output from some other "big" games last year given your specific qualification and I honestly couldn't find much where his output was that far below par (except the second derby where he got injured). If you analyse the GF, he was also far from our worst player on the field. But maybe I am missing something that you are seeing.

I think he is one of those players who generally isn't going to blow your mind when you look at the basic stats on afl.com but if you delve a bit deeper you quickly realise how much value he brings. None of our small forwards are the "entertaining" Betts, Rioli, Walters types (I assume this is why people are so excited about Bennell because he has a bit of x-factor) but they are very good solid footballers who pretty consistently bring holistic effort across all aspects of the game we need them to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the justification for saying he doesn't play well in BIG games? Just the GF? Did you have a look at his performance in the other two finals last year? Did you also look at his performance in close wins/losses or against top 8 teams during the regular season?

His stats overall (from 2015) are extraordinary but had a quick skim of his output from some other "big" games last year given your specific qualification and I honestly couldn't find much where his output was that far below par (except the second derby where he got injured). If you analyse the GF, he was also far from our worst player on the field. But maybe I am missing something that you are seeing.

I think he is one of those players who generally isn't going to blow your mind when you look at the basic stats on afl.com but if you delve a bit deeper you quickly realise how much value he brings. None of our small forwards are the "entertaining" Betts, Rioli, Walters types (I assume this is why people are so excited about Bennell because he has a bit of x-factor) but they are very good solid footballers who pretty consistently bring holistic effort across all aspects of the game we need them to.

I've seen him play in the big games over many years AND at times when we've needed someone to stand up and win a game or lead - he can't and doesn't do either when it matters.

I've seen him play in the big games over many years AND at times when we've needed someone to stand up and win a game or lead - he can't and doesn't do either when it matters.
Possibly I agree, if you are looking back to when he first started (can't say I know) but there would be very few players that wouldn't be the case with. He is still only 23 so plenty of time for further improvement - hasn't hit his prime yet. I think he only found his feet once Simmo came over and gave him a real purpose as a high pressure defensive forward - which everything points towards him excelling at (he is #1 in the AFL so hard to be too critical ;)). He's not really in a role or in a time in his career where he should be expected to step up and lead the team - he's probably the least experienced of our forwards so that just feels like an irrelevant indicator to assess him on atm. He wasn't spectacular in the last finals series, but it was his first finals series at AFL level.

I agree with Biggie, who do you suggest he is replaced by that would provide more value? Can you also link to your B22 please?

Shepard Schofield Ellis
Turn Mackenzie Butler
Wellingham Shuey Gaff
Sheed Kennedy Jetta
Le Cras Darling McGovern
Naitanui Priddis Yeo
Redden Hutchings Duggan Lycett

Eme: Partington, Lamb, Barrass and Hill.

Cripps has to slide in the HF in there ol' bean.

Wellingham has to stay in the backline. Jetta takes his place, Cripps into Jetta's place. Not to mention Hill. Ellis will be hard pressed to get back in 22. Jetta and Ham replaced Butler and Ellis and suddenly defence becomes offence.

Your argument was there is plenty of talent to replace Cripps.

I can't see it.

Cripps has to slide in the HF in there ol' bean.

Wellingham has to stay in the backline. Jetta takes his place, Cripps into Jetta's place. Not to mention Hill. Ellis will be hard pressed to get back in 22. Jetta and Ham replaced Butler and Ellis and suddenly defence becomes offence.

Your argument was there is plenty of talent to replace Cripps.

I can't see it.
Jetta lacks accountability and could be catastrophic. All other small defenders can attack but can also defend.

Let's not get too precious about someone querying one of our players tho eh?

Jetta lacks accountability and could be catastrophic. All other small defenders can attack but can also defend.

He isn't to be accountable.

Let's not get too precious about someone querying one of our players tho eh?

Who is this aimed at?

I'm certainly not attacking nor being precious, just merely asking the question. Cripp is best 22 imo, he isn't in Mighty Eagles team. In fact he ha shown a sound team bar Wellers back on wing.

This actually highlights to me, that when fit (BIG WHEN) we have a excellent squad with talent spread throughout.

All (except JJK, lets be honest*) are fighting to stay in that best 22

Great position to be in. :)

*obligatory comment from sponsor

He isn't to be accountable.

Who is this aimed at?

I'm certainly not attacking nor being precious, just merely asking the question. Cripp is best 22 imo, he isn't in Mighty Eagles team. In fact he ha shown a sound team bar Wellers back on wing.

This actually highlights to me, that when fit (BIG WHEN) we have a excellent squad with talent spread throughout.

All (except JJK, lets be honest*) are fighting to stay in that best 22

Great position to be in. :)

*obligatory comment from sponsor
If he plays in defence for a conciderable time, he should be accountable for his man. Only way he should't be accountable is if is an extra in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back