List Mgmt. 2016 Draft, Trading and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's weird I was down there before and saw Chris Bond & Ross Lyon.

cc; @CrumpetFace
I can confirm he was with his manager Jason Dover. His car had some Southwest Beer festival marketing decals on it and quick google search revealed Jason runs the marketing company for that festival.

0 to 100 is still 100 isn't it? How else do you say that?

If you add one to something, and by doing so increase the amount you have of it by 100%, you had one to start with. If you had zero to start with, the % increase is infinite

Here endeth the lesson, don't forget to revise pages 46-59 for the geometry test next week

You all realize that these players didn't actually meet the criteria for nomination in the first place, right?

Bit of a stretch to say the AFL has it out for us when we aren't even willing to select these players in the draft or as a regular rookie selection.
Technically of course you are correct but its just a bit rich that we can't get even a tiny leg-up from 3rd last when GWS will have another 5 picks inside the top 20 and get 3 cheap academy players with a bunch of collected 2nd and 3rd round picks to make up points. It just feels like we have so much ground to make up and the playing field is not going to be level for a long time as the repercussions of the expansion clubs will be rippling through the system for a few years yet.

Technically of course you are correct but its just a bit rich that we can't get even a tiny leg-up from 3rd last when GWS will have another 5 picks inside the top 20 and get 3 cheap academy players with a bunch of collected 2nd and 3rd round picks to make up points. It just feels like we have so much ground to make up and the playing field is not going to be level for a long time as the repercussions of the expansion clubs will be rippling through the system for a few years yet.
Fremantle. AFL. Help.
All 3 together don't make sense to me

So at this point, in terms of trading would it be fair to say that what we think we are staring at at this stage is:

Mayne -> (2nd rnd pick/Player) -> McCarthy
2017 2nd rnd pick -> Hill
Ballantyne -> Eagles 2nd rnd pick
Clarke -> (...) -> Stanley
Langdon -> Collingwood 3rd rnd pick

Leaving in terms of draft picks:
1st round (High - probably 3-4)
2nd round (Low - probably late 20s early 30s)
3rd round (High - probably early 30s)
3rd round (High - probably early to mid 30s)
4th round (High - probably late 40s)

I assume DeBoer, C Pearce and Ibbotson stay another year, unless someone comes knocking. We probably would entertain trades on players such as Crozier, A Pearce but only for reasonable returns.

Would we consider trading our 2017 1st round pick for a low 1st round 2016 pick, given if we are on a three year program we are going to need talls and it will take 3 years to develop (noting that next year's draft is hyped up to all proportions and we would be effectively trading out of it?).

We probably would entertain trades on players such as Crozier, A Pearce but only for reasonable returns.
The rest of your post isn't too far off with some trades favouring us and some going against us but to even suggest A.Pearce being traded is ludicrous, he is the best Tall defender under 21 in the competition barring possibly Lever (Third tall tho IMO) and has taken some huge scalps this year when our team didn't win a game. Why the fk would we trade one of our 2 up and coming KPDs especially when he looks like he will be a gun for the next 12 years

Again the rest of your post is pretty reasonable and evens each other out but trading Alex Pearce is such a silly idea that it needed to be addressed.

So at this point, in terms of trading would it be fair to say that what we think we are staring at at this stage is:

I assume DeBoer, C Pearce and Ibbotson stay another year, unless someone comes knocking. We probably would entertain trades on players such as Crozier, A Pearce but only for reasonable returns.

Would we consider trading our 2017 1st round pick for a low 1st round 2016 pick, given if we are on a three year program we are going to need talls and it will take 3 years to develop (noting that next year's draft is hyped up to all proportions and we would be effectively trading out of it?)
No we wouldn't............not even at all.

Also, we'd trade the Mayne compo for Hill, no one would give up a high 20's pick for McCarthy. Doubt we'll get the eagles second for Ballas. We need to sexy up the Langdon and Barlow trades by adding picks to go up in the draft. Fair to say I disagree with most of what you said there.

No we wouldn't............not even at all.

Also, we'd trade the Mayne compo for Hill, no one would give up a high 20's pick for McCarthy. Doubt we'll get the eagles second for Ballas. We need to sexy up the Langdon and Barlow trades by adding picks to go up in the draft. Fair to say I disagree with most of what you said there.

Agree. Free won't need as high as a second rounder to get McCarthy. He can be had for a song, as the expression goes.

Delist at least 10 to 15% of the current player list.
Trade ruthlessly.
Their 'choc a block' with midfielders and don't need any more. Particularly with Fyfe to return and Bennell yet to debut.
Gain 1 or 2 key forwards, and 1 or 2 key backs over the next 1 to 2 years/seasons, plus gain another key follower/ruck when Sandy retires. For those keen on McCarthy, don't put all your eggs in one basket.
He hasn't played any competitive football for at least one season. He could be a dud.
Inquire if Glen Jakovich would like to be an Assistant Coach.

Last edited:
Trade ruthlessly.
Their 'choc a block' with midfielders and don't need any more. Particularly with Fyfe to return and Bennell yet to debut.
Gain 1 or 2 key forwards, and 1 or 2 key backs over the next 1 to 2 years/seasons, plus gain another key follower/ruck when Sandy retires. For those keen on McCarthy, don't put all your eggs in one basket.
He hasn't played any competitive football for at least one season. He could be a dud.

We had 39 main list players and 6 rookie list players in the 2016 season.
Delisting 10 to 15% of the list means that 4 to 6 should go. That's probably the lowest suggestion I've seen.

From this season, it's pretty apparent that we need the right type of midfielder. With most of our foot soldiers being on the outer, we need the younger players to step up, and an injection of an elite-skilled midfielder or an elite-running outside midfielder would help.
Agreed, McCarthy's stocks have fallen, but he is still potentially a big positive next year.

And lastly, Jakovich? Really? Have you heard him mangle the English language? A key part of a coach's job is to communicate. Glen doesn't have that ability.

Trade ruthlessly.
10% is 4 or 5 players. We will have a turn over above 20% I would think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would we consider trading our 2017 1st round pick for a low 1st round 2016 pick, given if we are on a three year program we are going to need talls and it will take 3 years to develop (noting that next year's draft is hyped up to all proportions and we would be effectively trading out of it?).

This is harder than it seems, trying to be realistic.

Likely
Mayne -> 2nd round compo
Ballas -> Geelong 2nd round pick
Clarke -> A 3rd round compo

In the players and freo best interest that they are traded
Barlow -> Late 2nd round pick
Ibbotson -> Early 3rd round pick.

Hopefully
de Boer\C Pearce - 3rd round picks

In
B Hill - 2nd round compo
McCarthy -> 2017 2nd round pick
Kersten -> cats 2nd round pick

I would happily trade pick 3 to GC for Pick 6 and Pick 20. I don't care if we get English or SPS and I think one will be available at Pick 6, and Rotham could be there at pick 20.

This is harder than it seems, trying to be realistic.

Likely
Mayne -> 2nd round compo
Ballas -> Geelong 2nd round pick
Clarke -> A 3rd round compo

In the players and freo best interest that they are traded
Barlow -> Late 2nd round pick
Ibbotson -> Early 3rd round pick.

Hopefully
de Boer\C Pearce - 3rd round picks

In
B Hill - 2nd round compo
McCarthy -> 2017 2nd round pick
Kersten -> cats 2nd round pick

I would happily trade pick 3 to GC for Pick 6 and Pick 20. I don't care if we get English or SPS and I think one will be available at Pick 6, and Rotham could be there at pick 20.

The fun part is if you can wrangle the trades as future picks instead of this season, we can trade them all for bulk first round picks this year. We can't do it with picks for this season, but can with future picks.

If you guys get second round compo for Mayne, each member should kiss him on his way out, that will be a great return.

Has there been any word on Barlow?

Shows how flawed the compo system can be doesn't it, Barlow compared to Mayne there is no question (to me any way) who should be worth more, how ever it seems it may not pan out that way.

If you guys get second round compo for Mayne, each member should kiss him on his way out, that will be a great return.

Has there been any word on Barlow?

Shows how flawed the compo system can be doesn't it, Barlow compared to Mayne there is no question (to me any way) who should be worth more, how ever it seems it may not pan out that way.
The financial commitment a club will make to a player is as good a measure of their value as any.

If someone will commit $2,000,000 into Mayne but only $600,000 into Barlow - there is a strong measure of value.

In my opinion of course.

The financial commitment a club will make to a player is as good a measure of their value as any.

If someone will commit $2,000,000 into Mayne but only $600,000 into Barlow - there is a strong measure of value.

In my opinion of course.

I understand how it works, it is just feels odd. I would have thought that most would place more value on Barlow than Mayne considering the calls for him to be dropped etc. Great for Freo! hopefully it pans out that way.

Where did you draft Mayne?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back