List Mgmt. 2016 NAB AFL Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Being the 2nd year of our rebuild i was hoping for 3-4 picks inside 30.

Overall the trade period for us was ok.

Fair to say its a big draft for sos coming up. Needs to nail some nuggets with our late picks.
Dont we basically get that with the age and potential upside of both Marchbank & Pickett ??

If both get a good run at it with injuries, they were picks 4 & 6 only 2 years ago and are what 19/20 years old.

Being the 2nd year of our rebuild i was hoping for 3-4 picks inside 30.

Overall the trade period for us was ok.

Fair to say its a big draft for sos coming up. Needs to nail some nuggets with our late picks.

Maybe we got that anyway by taking on a 19 y.o. Marchbank and a 20 y.o. Pickett along with #5 & #25.

I know that isn't quite right but it's all relative. 18 year olds aren't always better than 20 year olds. :)

EDIT: ....and I get gazumped again tonight... Thanks JK!

When I heard we helped Hawthorn get O'Meara.
d543be5b5593136222c29244e5b269d5.png

Last report of trade week

Overnight we cut the deal with GWS as I reported this morning - Marchbank, Pickett, 2nd for Geelong 1st

This morning, after the Tuohy deal went through, GWS started playing games

They presumed that we would do the Gibbs deal, and decided they'd prefer 13 to next year's Geelong first

SOS reminded them that there was no certainty the Gibbs deal would be done and in any case, we had a deal. Nevertheless, GWS maintained their stance till well after 130pm. Player managers for Deledio, Marchbank, O'Meara all going nuts. It held up many deals.

It was only as 2pm approached that GWS finally accepted that we would not do the Gibbs deal first, if at all. The original agreement was then honoured

As for Adelaide, the best they offered was 13 and a future second

The deal with Hawthorn is in their favour. 2 reasons. One, SOS wants more picks in this draft which he views as deep. Two, an honour among recruiting managers thing. We have done the Hawks a favour to land O'Meara. They know it. We are confident they will remember it when we need one next year

Bye gang

Hmm.

13 and a future 2nd would have been about par.

I'm a little surprised SOS didn't take that deal, if true.

Ok, just up to speed after spending the day surfing (show day in hobart) and I can tell you it was a lot better for my stress levels than hitting the refresh button every few minutes for eight very looooong days waiting for something to happen, and nothing happening at all...

Very happy to have got marchbank and Pickett and although a lot of people seem to think they unfairly cost more than the other GWS refugees that the Giants gave away like lollies to the other clubs I think it actually means SOS targeted two special talents, worked very hard to get them to nominate us, and that the Giants rated them highly and wanted a fair return. So big plus.

Thought cats bent us over on the Tuohy trade, we should have swapped the dogs third for one of their thirds to even it up a bit, but they had us over a barrell because of the Gibbs stand off so in the big picture, it was had to be done. So a tick.

Not sure why we had to take palmer when we didn't want him according to Ep, didn't seem to me that GWS did us any favours at all. Maybe it was for good will for the future, as was the Hawks deal, and I think that is a good thing. What goes around, comes around, as the crows found out.

Stoked we kept Bryce. We need him.

And in the end, we still have pick 5, against a stack of adversity, which is the great achievement of the period.

Only disappointment is that we let Hrovat slip through our fingers. Only cost the Roos a pick in the 50s. Could have and should have been done in the eight full days they had to do it in.

All in all, an excellent job by SOS and co. Hats off.

Exciting times ahead folks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be happy to rate this years trade "week" as good as 2015. SOS did not have the bargaining chips as he did last year and still maintained our first round picks for the next two drafts. On top of this bringing in some top line talent "maybe unproven but so is pick 5".
The cherry is that every other club now completely understands that Carlton are going to be methodical but fair during trade week. No panic deals and certainly won't entertain Rookie attempts to unsettle our contracted players.
Bolded Justin case you can't Reid.

It's so weird having rival supporters say nice things to us

Got so many high fives and hugs from Power supporters after we beat them by a point at Footy Park. They were so happy that we knocked the Crows out of the finals.
It was so odd but I liked it.

Last report of trade week

Overnight we cut the deal with GWS as I reported this morning - Marchbank, Pickett, 2nd for Geelong 1st

This morning, after the Tuohy deal went through, GWS started playing games

They presumed that we would do the Gibbs deal, and decided they'd prefer 13 to next year's Geelong first

SOS reminded them that there was no certainty the Gibbs deal would be done and in any case, we had a deal. Nevertheless, GWS maintained their stance till well after 130pm. Player managers for Deledio, Marchbank, O'Meara all going nuts. It held up many deals.

It was only as 2pm approached that GWS finally accepted that we would not do the Gibbs deal first, if at all. The original agreement was then honoured

As for Adelaide, the best they offered was 13 and a future second

The deal with Hawthorn is in their favour. 2 reasons. One, SOS wants more picks in this draft which he views as deep. Two, an honour among recruiting managers thing. We have done the Hawks a favour to land O'Meara. They know it. We are confident they will remember it when we need one next year

Bye gang

Thanks so much for all the inside info. Much appreciated.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 NAB AFL Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back