List Mgmt. 2016 Trade, Draft and free agency news (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We desperately need a tall who can take a contested grab (Lobb, Sam Reid and Vickery in that order) and an inside mid (O'Meara, Mitchell and Steele in that order). We effectively have 3 first rounders to trade with what we should get for Hill and next years 1st rounder. With some other movement of minor picks and maybe some fringe players with some currency thrown in (O'Brien and Litherland) I can see us getting one of each if not 3 with Vickery as a free agent.

Got to laugh at how posters on here are having a crack at Vickery because as yet he isn't wearing brown and gold , but fast forward a couple of months he comes to us as a free agent ( that's for nothing, nada , zilch.) and some will still question the merit of the move and the worth of the player, then fast forward another six months he kicks a bag and he will be saying he is the second coming of who ever.
Look at it this way, he isn't a sexy or exciting trade but does he play the role he would be groomed for better than the than who is doing it now? God knows that every player , playing tall forward, pinch hit ruck cops a pasting on these parts

Last edited:
I recall that almost every trade we have done has been opposed by some Bigfooty experts and in most cases they have been wrong. Check previous posts on Burgoyne, Gibson, Hale Lake and McEvoy. I can't remember whether Gunston fell into the same category but no doubt a few thought he was no good.
I am sure Clarko knows what type of players he wants and Wright will do his best to get them.
It is also interesting to remember that the TPP is estimated to increase by 10% this year providing circa a mill to offer to potential recruits.

Wonder if free agent Zac Clarke will now come in to calculations .

Clarke seems to play his best footy for Fremantle when Sandilands is out of the side and he plays as the number one ruckman. He has some talent but lacks consistency in his game at times.

Clarke seems to play his best footy for Fremantle when Sandilands is out of the side and he plays as the number one ruckman. He has some talent but lacks consistency in his game at times.
As a free agent and a Victorian he's worth looking at especially as Hawks could offer game time.
Vickery being restricted and at the tiggers could be harder to get, though we might need both next year.
If we could get one or both without having to give up much would help with still needing mids etc

Hale & Vickery may have similar stats but they are light years apart when comparing football intelligence. Hale was a very canny & selfless forward who was also capable of not only competing in the ruck but winning deft taps to advantage.
Vickery's highlight of 2016 was taking an uncontested 'mark' (sans football) in the vfl
Can we teach vickery? Remember significant coaching difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As free agents go I see a lot of potential in Vickery, Mayne and Clarke

In 2015 Vickery had the second best hitout to advantage of any player averaging more then 50 hitouts. Plays Forward and Ruck? would this be the worst thing to have in a player? Ranked 15th for goals per game last season (No silver service at Richmond) and had the 2nd best kick rating of any player in the AFL. If the price is right I would back the development staff to get the best out of him. A fresh start can do wonders.....

Last edited:
Vickery would be a smart addition imo.
Free agent so would cost nothing.

Coming into our side he would be just another cog in the forward line to take an occasional contested mark but more importantly compete and bring the ball to ground for our smalls. With Gunston, Sicily, Bruest, Poppy, Cyril he isn't the number 2 option he is at Richmond behind Riewoldt. He is a good set shot and will back up Big Boy in the Ruck. A fresh start could be just what he needs

To put things in perspective Vickery was drafted in the same year as Ryan Shoenmakers and Jack Watts both of which took time to develop. I would have no qualms about letting Richmond do all the waiting only for Hawthorn to recruit him when he clicks into high gear, actually that would be very amusing :D

Actually I think Zac Clarke was also in the same draft?

Whilst Vickery's stats look okay, I just dislike his mentality. The guy is NOT a big game player. I've seen him choke and miss more goals than I've seen him sink them.

To me, the only way he comes in is as a depth player. I would rather develop Pitto and blood him into the side, than resort to someone who just folds when the going gets tough.

Just my two cents.

As free agents go I see a lot of potential in Vickery, Mayne and Clarke

In 2015 Vickery had the second best hitout to advantage of any player averaging more then 50 hitouts. Plays Forward and Ruck? would this be the worst thing to have in a player? Ranked 15th for goals per game last season (No silver service at Richmond) and had the 2nd best kick rating of any player in the AFL. If the price is right I would back the development staff to get the best out of him. A fresh start can do wonders.....

Whered u get that kick rating? For 2015 zac clarke actually had the best rating for key fwds, (and ceglar one of he worst for rucks btw). Id be happy for both as they wont cost any and we only need 1 to work out
6ff9608dfcb91f70d6be99f31645b52f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We miss Roughy more than we ever realised I think because all the talk nowdays is about the big power forward being a thing of the past but we got no one who can cancel out the oppositions main power defender e.g McGovern on Fri night he dominated .Gunstone is never going to be that type of playerhe is too slight Vickery ,Vardy hell even look at T .Cloke at the right money either would be good gets in the trade period IMO .

What about J Riewoldt? He's contracted so wouldn't come cheap but proven goal scorer.
Would cost too much in trade and salary.

We do have 3 major problems - inside midfielders, marking forwards and ruck depth. Our biggest obstacles are salary cap and not having a lot to trade with.

We know we are targeting midfielders and hopefully we get one (or two). Vickery goes some way to helping with the other two problems and he is a free agent so we don't have to worry about satisfying Richmond.

I am sure our long term list planning always envisaged targeting inside mids this year and not talls. But the unexpected loss of Roughead and Ceglar has forced our hand is we want to remain a top 8 side

We miss Roughy more than we ever realised I think because all the talk nowdays is about the big power forward being a thing of the past but we got no one who can cancel out the oppositions main power defender e.g McGovern on Fri night he dominated .Gunstone is never going to be that type of playerhe is too slight Vickery ,Vardy hell even look at T .Cloke at the right money either would be good gets in the trade period IMO .

Yes, Roughie's big body and big presence is so important.

And his leadership on the forward line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back