List Mgmt. 2016 Trade/FA Thread 2.0: Ahern (pg168); Hrovat (pg252); Williams (pg270)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we should try and land both Pickett and Ahern which would give us five picks inside 37 in the 2014 draft! Add in total games played and looks a bit like this....

Pick 4 Pickett 0 games

Pick 7 Ahern 0 games

Pick 16 Durdin 0 games

Pick 25 Nielson 0 games

Pick 36 EVW 0 games.

:drunk:

You could have drafted that and just held onto it for another week, when - if nothing you liked had happened - it would have made some sense. It's just silly when trade period isnt even half over and everyone in the know has said a) hardly anything that's happening gets to the media (exhibit A - Mitchell to WCE) and b) North is quietly working on a few things. Not to mention that North is keen to draft a few players this year so is not going to put those cards on the table without a huge payoff.

There is an opportunity cost when it comes to trading. We aren't going to get a young quality player who is ready to go cheaply and we don't have high value picks. If someone thinks our club isn't doing good enough then what trades do people think we could realistically make that would get accepted that our club isn't doing?

What trades would people want to make? A lot of people would have gladly traded pick 31 last year for a fringe player and we picked up Clarke with that pick who I think is going to be a very good player for us. We don't have a top 5 pick, it is going to be very difficult to get an A grade player like a Kelly from GWS. We have nothing that GWS want from us that we would realistically want to give away without going backwards.

I'm excited to get Ahern. That's a pick 7 with all the talent in the world who hasn't pulled on an AFL jumper. We're effectively drafting him (I think scoob said this yesterday?).

High risk, high reward. Could be another Morrabito who doesn't get on the park, but if he comes good physically he is going to a much better player than the pick we will use to get him.

High risk, high reward. Could be another Morrabito who doesn't get on the park, but if he comes good physically he is going to a much better player than the pick we will use to get him.
those Morrabito type stories are very sad for the player. There must be a week that doesn't go by that they dont rue what could have should have been.

those Morrabito type stories are very sad for the player. There must be a week that doesn't go by that they dont rue what could have should have been.

Yeah, an extended family member was drafted by Collingwood with a decent pick a few years back and he was just hit by one injury after another and couldn't get on the park, was eventually cut. It is devastating as it is all the kids ever wanted and had invested so much time and effort to prepare to play footy at the highest level. It is why it irks me when players have the talent and have the durability but put in a half-arsed effort. That is just a waste.

Talking of Morrabito, couldn't we rookie him? Give him a medical and if he looks ok take him. Low risk high reward. On Ahern, seeing his highlights makes me think we will have an A grader if fit.

Wasn't last years Draft meant to be really weak? It might turn out the best since Buddy's year.

You can't believe the hype or lack of it.

Gaff is elite

dot.gif
Ranked 8th in Total Kicks
dot.gif
Ranked 11th in Total Disposals
dot.gif
Ranked 2nd in Total Uncontested Possessions
dot.gif
Ranked 13th in Total Effective Disposals
dot.gif
Ranked 7th in Kicks Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 8th in Disposals Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Uncontested Possessions Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 8th in Effective Disposals Per Game

Him + a high pick would be overpaying for Todd

The game is moving past uncontested spuds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That ruins our chances of getting Taranto. Wouldn't be stoked with that.

Didn't Taranto ruin his chances of getting to us with late season form?

Shocking trade this guy could be morabito/Menzel nothing below the 3rd round to much of a risk if they won't take we don't do simple

I kind of agree but just guessing going off what people are saying and that is we will use 11.

It could even be a swap of one of their first rounds this year for our first round next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, an extended family member was drafted by Collingwood with a decent pick a few years back and he was just hit by one injury after another and couldn't get on the park, was eventually cut. It is devastating as it is all the kids ever wanted and had invested so much time and effort to prepare to play footy at the highest level. It is why it irks me when players have the talent and have the durability but put in a half-arsed effort. That is just a waste.

just shows you can have ability, desire, talent and intent, but circumstances outside of your control can smash your dreams.
Mick Malthouse once said he respects players more that dont have natural abilities but train and perform to 100% of their abilities all the time, then those blessed with natural talent.

Talking of Morrabito, couldn't we rookie him? Give him a medical and if he looks ok take him. Low risk high reward. On Ahern, seeing his highlights makes me think we will have an A grader if fit.

I wouldn't think so, he is 24 now and his 3rd knee reco was a LARS from memory. Unlike a traditional graft, the artificial graft doesn't repair itself, so it eventually fails, they typically only do LARS for people towards the end of their career but he had his in 2013, I wouldn't be optimistic of it lasting very long.

If he had a traditional knee reco in 2013 I would be more inclined to give him a go for a couple of years as a rookie but in his case I think he is heavily loaded on the risk department. We should keep an eye out of other hard luck stories though.

Didn't Taranto ruin his chances of getting to us with late season form?

I kind of agree but just guessing going off what people are saying and that is we will use 11.

It could even be a swap of one of their first rounds this year for our first round next year.
Using pick 11 on a guy who has done his knee twice hasn't played a game and won't play till 2018 would be very very dumb. this year is a strong draft also the player we get at 11 will probably be better and play sooner. If this happens we have lost the plot and I will cry

Using pick 11 on a guy who has done his knee twice hasn't played a game and won't play till 2018 would be very very dumb. this year is a strong draft also the player we get at 11 will probably be better and play sooner. If this happens we have lost the plot and I will cry
Who the **** is using pick 11 for Ahern?

just shows you can have ability, desire, talent and intent, but circumstances outside of your control can smash your dreams.

That happened to David Calthorpe's older brother, Chris, who was a better footballer and a much less arrogant tosser. And a kid I once coached who was looking like a top 10 pick till he came off his dad's motorbike with his best mate on the back of the bike. That kind of was within his control tho. I'll bet he'd never have done that if he'd known what would happen. No career anymore.

I wouldn't think so, he is 24 now and his 3rd knee reco was a LARS from memory. Unlike a traditional graft, the artificial graft doesn't repair itself, so it eventually fails, they typically only do LARS for people towards the end of their career but he had his in 2013, I wouldn't be optimistic of it lasting very long.

If he had a traditional knee reco in 2013 I would be more inclined to give him a go for a couple of years as a rookie but in his case I think he is heavily loaded on the risk department. We should keep an eye out of other hard luck stories though.

I guess so, but didn't Malceski have lars 3 years ago? He seems to be able to cope and I would have thought Morrabito being younger would be worth the risk. I remember Scott was a big fan.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-13/lars-premium-for-morabito

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 Trade/FA Thread 2.0: Ahern (pg168); Hrovat (pg252); Williams (pg270)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back