List Mgmt. 2016 Trade/FA Thread 2.0: Ahern (pg168); Hrovat (pg252); Williams (pg270)

Remove this Banner Ad

That happened to David Calthorpe's older brother, Chris, who was a better footballer and a much less arrogant tosser. And a kid I once coached who was looking like a top 10 pick till he came off his dad's motorbike with his best mate on the back of the bike. That kind of was within his control tho. I'll bet he'd never have done that if he'd known what would happen. No career anymore.
yea its a bit like getting too drunk in bali and doing stupid shit. self inflicted. But i guess you cant spend your life walking around glass as a footballer.
The worst injuries are the freak ones, like running onto the an empty wing in open space, jumping to mark the ball and tearing your tendons and ligaments in your foot....out for the season. happened to me... i just recently had my bicep tendon torn off the bone in a Supers practice game, the offender just punched back shrugging off my tackle, bang my bicep was detached. I probably shouldnt play at my age.

But these kids have one dream, must be very hard to cop especially when they see players they were better than, having successful afl careers.

11 for Ahern and 15
That wouldn't be a bad trade. Come pick 11 the real cream will have been skimmed off and guys like Logue and English are in the equation if not gone earlier, meaning plenty of mids available. Doing that would likely mean getting one of say Florent, Venables or Simpkin and Ahern for free basically. The only downside is eliminating ourselves from the possibility of a slider like Petrevski-Seton.

Plus we wouldn't need to use a pick a the back of the draft on a total speculative

Speculation. FWIW, GWS posters are fine a future third just for him and are happy with a future second for him and Pickett.
Drawup the paperwork K4e

The future 2nd for Ahern and Pickett is stunning work if we could pull it off.
That would be amazing, however highly unlikely id say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be excellent. Slight downgrade but a player and an extra pick for a slider. I want taranto but i think his final game will see him taken in the top 10.

But then we will have forever paid pick 11 for Ahern, Jedi will be thanking the footy gods as then his pick 15 trade will be long forgotten....

So GC could end up with these picks

Suns' picks: 4, 6, 8, 10, 22, 24, 30, 44

happy to take their fourth pick in the draft for Black:p

The two highlighted picks are what we should be after, GC want players and 22 and 24 would be great for us. Surely we've got some guys we could move on?

One of the biggest things in our favour right now is the perception we will be shit next year.
I think only Brisbane, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon and Freo will be worse than us next year.

Thus a bottom 6 finish, giving us a second round pick of 25ish. Happily do that for Ahern and Pickett. But would like Hansen to have a Vickery/Mayne-like year and leave as a free agent netting us pick 26 in return.

Yeah, an extended family member was drafted by Collingwood with a decent pick a few years back and he was just hit by one injury after another and couldn't get on the park, was eventually cut. It is devastating as it is all the kids ever wanted and had invested so much time and effort to prepare to play footy at the highest level. It is why it irks me when players have the talent and have the durability but put in a half-arsed effort. That is just a waste.
As someone who copped a season-ending knee injury early in my top age year of TAC Cup I couldn't agree more, tried my luck through the VFL before basically destroying my knee. I had to then go find something else to do with my life. It sends you to some dark places when it is all you have ever dreamed of doing. This is why I hate wasted talent stories and also why I can remove myself from the emotion of players being retired or shown the door. I understand the hard work required but their is also an element of luck to having a prolonged career at the top.

I think only Brisbane, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon and Freo will be worse than us next year.

Thus a bottom 6 finish, giving us a second round pick of 25ish. Happily do that for Ahern and Pickett. But would like Hansen to have a Vickery/Mayne-like year and leave as a free agent netting us pick 26 in return.
If Freo get Johnston, Bennell, Fyfe and Sandi back on the park they will go alright. * could be anything, who knows.

So GC could end up with these picks

Suns' picks: 4, 6, 8, 10, 22, 24, 30, 44

happy to take their fourth pick in the draft for Black:p

The two highlighted picks are what we should be after, GC want players and 22 and 24 would be great for us. Surely we've got some guys we could move on?
North: 6, 8, 10, 22, 24, and hall

Suns: goldstein, swallow, 11, 32, 33

Bandits.

That wouldn't be a bad trade. Come pick 11 the real cream will have been skimmed off and guys like Logue and English are in the equation if not gone earlier, meaning plenty of mids available. Doing that would likely mean getting one of say Florent, Venables or Simpkin and Ahern for free basically. The only downside is eliminating ourselves from the possibility of a slider like Petrevski-Seton.

Plus we wouldn't need to use a pick a the back of the draft on a total speculative

Plus we'd get the pick we lost for Jed Anderson back so people might finally shut up about it...

Precisely, we get what is our best 22 on the Park for the majority of the year I'd be pretty confident of a top ten or better finish.
At some point we'll have injuries, most teams do. I think * have better depth than us having given a lot of kids a run this year. We're going to rely on guys with 0-10 games playing key roles next year.

North: 6, 8, 10, 22, 24, and hall

Suns: goldstein, swallow, 11, 32, 33

Bandits.
yeah looks great, can't wait! Just don't tell Swallow and Goldie they'll be team mates at GC. Just tell both separately they've been traded. I can't see Goldie going interstate tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 Trade/FA Thread 2.0: Ahern (pg168); Hrovat (pg252); Williams (pg270)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back