List Mgmt. 2016 Trade/FA Thread 2.0: Ahern (pg168); Hrovat (pg252); Williams (pg270)

Remove this Banner Ad

there is more chance ahern never plays an AFL game than goes on to be a star and people are throwing up pick 11 when this years draft is a good one .......what is going on

Brett Anderson praised the Saints trade as pick 10 is a bit of no man's land in this draft, where there is a clear top 7-8 and then a very even pool. We may be thinking the same way.

So you don't think he'll ever play a game?
He could but it's a massive risk and will he ever play to his potential??? id rather use our pick 11 on somebody that hasn't got injury concerns and is ready to play straight away. look at Anthony morabito he was a pick 4 and interesting fact morabito has only done his knee 3 times ahern already 2. Players that do the knee more than once find it very hard to come back from history shows this

He could but it's a massive risk and will he ever play to his potential??? id rather use our pick 11 on somebody that hasn't got injury concerns and is ready to play straight away. look at Anthony morabito he was a pick 4 and interesting fact morabito has only done his knee 3 times ahern already 2. Players that do the knee more than once find it very hard to come back from history shows this

So what do you think it will cost us going from 11 to 15?

Over the years the difference in players is minimal.

there is more chance ahern never plays an AFL game than goes on to be a star and people are throwing up pick 11 when this years draft is a good one .......what is going on
Get a grip dude, no one is saying pick 11 for Ahern. A pick swap of 11 to 15 is negligible and Ahern would be a risk reward prospect. There a probably 4 or 5 players North have in mind for pick 11 any of those could still be there at 15.

Wouldn't mind a bit of half glass full than half glass empty on Ahern. He was a standout junior played good footy in his only year in the reserves behind a Quilty 1st's midfield.
As we all saw this year they have an excess of midfield players, if we can pick up the kid for not much let our renowned medical and fitness team work with him we may just end up with a gun outside player we are craving for the next 10 years

So what do you think it will cost us going from 11 to 15?

Over the years the difference in players is minimal.
Some past examples Steele Sidebottom - Mitch brown( cats ). Tom lynch gc - billie smedts Toby Greene- Brandon Ellis but it might not make a difference, but my point is why take the risk especially when it's such a big one

Someone always falls down the draft order. There will be late mail etc and it will throw everything up in the air. I'm not saying we shouldn't trade pick 11 but I reckon we will be suprised by who is available at that pick. The only problem will be if everyone prior to us picks midfielders. I'm not sure exactly where they expect English, Battle etc to go but we are unlikely to take any KP players in the first two picks.

OK well that sounds good then.

If such a gun why don't GWS want to keep him? Surely can't just be because he is injured.

Because simply they don't need to. They have a glut of talent and a dedicated way of gaining more. Maybe Ahern gets back maybe he doesn't, but they can sell him now for a pick that they can route into an academy kid who doesn't have the same question mark.

Of course compounded by his desire to get back to Melbourne.

The 'go home' factor in AFL players is quite strange tbh.

Some past examples Steele Sidebottom - Mitch brown( cats ). Tom lynch gc - billie smedts Toby Greene- Brandon Ellis but it might not make a difference, but my point is why take the risk especially when it's such a big one

It all risk. You get a number 6 (?) draft pick for penuts. Low risk I would have thought.

If we can get Pickett and Ahern for next year's second rounder (or drop four spots down the order of first round in a very level draft year) they would be the equal first and fourth highest drafted players on our list, respectively. This is exactly the sort of highend talent that we have been sorely lacking over the last 5 years.

GWS are happy to move these guys on to open space on their list for new players and cap space. Remember that unlike other teams they have so many early round draft picks that they are paying a much larger portion of salary to rookies. The earlier the pick the higher the initial salary of a player.

While GC and GWS still have these larger numbers of picks we are in prime position to take advantage of fruit that falls from the tree. We just need to be in position to support these players medically, be able to provide them opportunities on field and financially re-imburse them as per their potential talent. Tick tick and tick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all risk. You get a number 6 (?) draft pick for penuts. Low risk I would have thought.

If we can get Pickett and Ahern for next year's second rounder (or drop four spots down the order of first round in a very level draft year) they would be the equal first and fourth highest drafted players on our list, respectively. This is exactly the sort of highend talent that we have been sorely lacking over the last 5 years.

GWS are happy to move these guys on to open space on their list for new players and cap space. Remember that unlike other teams they have so many early round draft picks that they are paying a much larger portion of salary to rookies. The earlier the pick the higher the initial salary of a player.

While GC and GWS still have these larger numbers of picks we are in prime position to take advantage of fruit that falls from the tree. We just need to be in position to support these players medically, be able to provide them opportunities on field and financially re-imburse them as per their potential talent. Tick tick and tick.
We'Ve banged on since the inception of the expansion teams about how their fringe players must be targeted and secured like some bizarre mesh of a football recruitment strategy and military snatch and grab op. Shiel this, Treloar that, Cameron that, Patton this. The bottom line is that Ahern is a pick 7 who arguably has as much talent as the above 4, and Pickett is a pick 4 who can do anything on a football field.

We don't pick in their ranges because we've never been bad enough to be in that area of the draft and so our only access to players of their ilk will be through scenarios like this. We can't say "we want to pick the eyes out of the Giants" and then when their players become available, whine and cry because they're not the ones we wanted.

These are two genuinely good players who haven't shown anything and as such don't fit the bill of the type of players bigger clubs would go after. This is what is available to us under the banner of "targeting GWS fringe players". We should be going as hard as possible.

Everyone keeps saying Pickett who:

a) doesn't want to play for us
b) is injured

Why not just go full fantasy and interchange Shiel every time. Much more exciting.

Everyone keeps saying Pickett who:

a) doesn't want to play for us
b) is injured

Why not just go full fantasy and interchange Shiel every time. Much more exciting.

Not the same thing. Bloke is willing to move to Carlton because he knows more players who have gone there. If we wanted to convince him, I would suspect there would be a number of ways - including dangling extra salary on what ever Carlton are giving.

I would be thinking the same of WHE. I think there has been some harsh critics on here regarding this guy.

Someone always falls down the draft order. There will be late mail etc and it will throw everything up in the air. I'm not saying we shouldn't trade pick 11 but I reckon we will be suprised by who is available at that pick. The only problem will be if everyone prior to us picks midfielders. I'm not sure exactly where they expect English, Battle etc to go but we are unlikely to take any KP players in the first two picks.
Exactly.

It's how we got durdin and ziebell when they was supposed to go sooner.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 Trade/FA Thread 2.0: Ahern (pg168); Hrovat (pg252); Williams (pg270)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back