Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts exactly, doesn't take into account the 15,000 down at punt road or 4,000 at the adelaide oval watching on the big screen
Because even without any evidence, you can guarantee more than 25% of Melbournians watched the match.

Shame though, looking back at that tv ratings graph over the years, do we really rely on the Swans to make the grand final that much to boost ratings?

My thoughts exactly, doesn't take into account the 15,000 down at punt road or 4,000 at the adelaide oval watching on the big screen

The only relevant thing is whether or not any of those people have a ratings box. Ratings are patently flawed.

Are tv ratings even accurate when it comes to the Grand Final? Everyone I know watching the game were watching it in groups of excess of 6+.

Thats always been my argument that around the nation there could be another 500,000 at pubs clubs and BBQs esp on a Saturday afternoon.

Apparently the only accurate figures are from foxtel as they have the ability to check how many are watching at anytime.

Best study done on supporter numbers by Roy Morgan...

Richmond are just good supporter-to-member converters and nothing more. Essendon currently hold the top spot (thanks Buckley):

https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7345-roy-morgan-afl-supporter-ladder-2017-201709210118

Lolll roy morgan polls are useless, they researched what 8,000?
Swans 1.2 million but cant sell out every week 40K, lions almost 500K but lucky to pack out 20K
Cats more than richmond bahahaha!

Morgan poll in sydney who do u follow Sydney ohh ok, lets say in Melbourne we would be asked who we follow in rugby what do u reckon most if not all would say, storm, i dont go to any games but id say Melbourne storm.

To think u actually posted this crap :eek: roy morgan polls always taken with a grain of salt...

Say whatever you want about the Roy Morgan poll (I'm under no illusion we're the most popular club in the league), but I wouldn't pull out the whole "they only polled 8,000 people lol" cause it just makes you a dummy to people who know even the most basic statistics.

I'm just saying but if the second half doesn't improve for the league match and we thought the ratings yesterday were disappointing, league could get a surprise for their ratings

Most popular? Who cares, it's like saying how good it is that your favourite song is #1 on the charts - #1 doesn't make it the best or even any good.

I'm just saying but if the second half doesn't improve for the league match and we thought the ratings yesterday were disappointing, league could get a surprise for their ratings

League could well beat the afl either way....7 30 to 9 30 on a Sunday night compared to 3 hours on a Saturday arvo is a massive advantage

League could well beat the afl either way....7 30 to 9 30 on a Sunday night compared to 3 hours on a Saturday arvo is a massive advantage
Fair enough, actually looking forward to the twilight grand final when they introduce it

No Sydney teams so i expect a drop off there
Nth QLD are being badly beaten at the moment, which will impact regional viewing.
Melbourne figures will be good.
Nothing major on tv competing with it on other networks so thats a plus

could be close indeed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lolll roy morgan polls are useless, they researched what 8,000?
Swans 1.2 million but cant sell out every week 40K, lions almost 500K but lucky to pack out 20K
Cats more than richmond bahahaha!

Morgan poll in sydney who do u follow Sydney ohh ok, lets say in Melbourne we would be asked who we follow in rugby what do u reckon most if not all would say, storm, i dont go to any games but id say Melbourne storm.

To think u actually posted this crap :eek: roy morgan polls always taken with a grain of salt...

Swans sell out most weeks whilst 20k is a good figure when you've been at the bottom of the ladder since 2010. Doubt richmond would do much better in the same circumstances

Just as a pure anecdote, I watch the AFL and NRL grand final every second or so year at a beachside bowling club just south of Coffs Harbour - it's hardcore Newcastle knights territory, almost no Victorians holiday here. Most years there are about 50 or so watching the AFL, and the old blokes coming through to the bar usually say things about gayfl etc. the nrl games have never been packed, but there'd probably be 200 or so there. This weekend I reckon there were 100 watching the AFL, I'd estimate about 50 watching the nrl. Just an anecdote

Just as a pure anecdote, I watch the AFL and NRL grand final every second or so year at a beachside bowling club just south of Coffs Harbour - it's hardcore Newcastle knights territory, almost no Victorians holiday here. Most years there are about 50 or so watching the AFL, and the old blokes coming through to the bar usually say things about gayfl etc. the nrl games have never been packed, but there'd probably be 200 or so there. This weekend I reckon there were 100 watching the AFL, I'd estimate about 50 watching the nrl. Just an anecdote
Been hearing cases like this constantly, few friends i know around the Killingworth/Newcastle area saying over the past 10 years AFL has rapidly shot out of nowhere. Many clubs being set up and participation numbers beginning to go through the roof

No Sydney teams so i expect a drop off there
Nth QLD are being badly beaten at the moment, which will impact regional viewing.
Melbourne figures will be good.
Nothing major on tv competing with it on other networks so thats a plus

could be close indeed

Sydneysiders were feeling quite disconnected to this GF to begin with if the comments in the DT were anything to go by in the lead up. I think most would have only continued to tune in if the result were close. Given the result was beyond doubt with 15 mins to go, I reckon Syd metro figures will be quite soft.

I don't even think Melb metro will be as high as last year given the one sided contest this year even though Storm were dominating. Last year was a thriller and it came to the last play.

Been hearing cases like this constantly, few friends i know around the Killingworth/Newcastle area saying over the past 10 years AFL has rapidly shot out of nowhere. Many clubs being set up and participation numbers beginning to go through the roof
Pop over to another certain forum and lost that & the joint will crash the server!

What type of average increase do clubs usually see in attendance following a flag?

Fellow tiger supporters, please let me never here the no success excuse again. Next year is a real opportunity to show we can match it with the big boys.

No matter the case in crowds, revenue is going to be through the roof with
3121, Premiership circle and Maurice Rioli club all having wait lists after members have realised they have no chance in the GF ballot.

I really really hope they don’t choose to expand reserved seasons to level 4 and push the GA members further back.

Apologies, realise some things aren’t exactly on topic, got a little carried away

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Swans sell out most weeks whilst 20k is a good figure when you've been at the bottom of the ladder since 2010. Doubt richmond would do much better in the same circumstances

U taking the piss! Do u actually understand the meaning of my post.
If Swans really had 1.2 mill they would b selling every single seat week in week like Man U, Real Madrid etc etc but we know they dont have 1.2 mill in support.
Look at their final didn't sell it out but their figure was helped by a big Ess contingent...

Again if lions have 500K they wouldn't have a spare seat!
If u r only drawing 15-20k and a survey states u have 500K in support pretty much shows wat a load of crock the survey really is....

Lol Richmond even down the bottom will be top 4 or5 in attendances!

Last edited:
Say whatever you want about the Roy Morgan poll (I'm under no illusion we're the most popular club in the league), but I wouldn't pull out the whole "they only polled 8,000 people lol" cause it just makes you a dummy to people who know even the most basic statistics.

No need to insult over something u didnt like which is actual fact...Roy Morgan poll is as useless a stat as trying to determine who watched wat on tv without even having a ratings box!
Obviously got ur feathers ruffled by calling someone a dummy when their was no reason too, fact is it actually makes u come across like one!

The only real stat is paid up members and attendances because it's fact not fiction by simply asking on the street who u follow!

Best study done on supporter numbers by Roy Morgan...

Richmond are just good supporter-to-member converters and nothing more. Essendon currently hold the top spot (thanks Buckley):

https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7345-roy-morgan-afl-supporter-ladder-2017-201709210118

If Richmond are "just good supporter-to-member converters" and if they are "nothing more" than that then the question arises why other clubs can't do likewise if its so easy and straightforward?

Occams razor is a philosophical concept telling us that the most obvious answer to a conundrum is the most likely to be true.

If Richmond are better "supporter to member converters" Occam's Razor would suggest that a greater proportion of Richmond self defining fans are actually more emotionally connected and are thus "real fans" whereas a greater proportion of people name checking other clubs with a poorer "supporter to member conversion" are in fact..........not.so engaged and thus could be said to be not "real fans".

Remember fans is short for fanatic and fanatic implies real interest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back