Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Sydney teams so i expect a drop off there
Nth QLD are being badly beaten at the moment, which will impact regional viewing.
Melbourne figures will be good.
Nothing major on tv competing with it on other networks so thats a plus

could be close indeed

Looks like a moderate win to the AFL...poor league ratings for Sydney for a Sunday night surely?

Sun TV: #NRLGF #WWOS 3.399m Metro 2.325m (Syd 813k Mel 644k Bri 671k Ade 86k Per 112k) Regional 1.074m

SatTV #AFLGF Seven 3.524m: Met 2.680m (Syd 376k Mel 1.277m Bri 349k Ade 372k Per 307k) Reg 844k (Q 135k NSW 126/123k V 257k Tas 134k WA 69k)

Hmmm, OK....do you have the a chart (s), similar to the one(s) provided a couple of pages back for the AFL with either aggregate 5 city metro or breakdown by city?

Relevant to understanding of potential impact of moving to a twilight GF

Next year should see some huge Richmond crowds. I think they may push Collingwood's 2010-2011 crowds if they have a good year.

Their memberships could be 90K+. Maybe even 100K

Collingwood fans never consider this. They forgot they made top 4 several times from 2003-12. I’d be disappointed if we didn’t have strong successive years. First time in 40 years if we do. Next year is our chance to finally get crowds up. If we don’t make top 8 it won’t happen

Looks like a moderate win to the AFL...
SatTV #AFLGF Seven 3.524m: Met 2.680m (Syd 376k Mel 1.277m Bri 349k Ade 372k Per 307k) Reg 844k (Q 135k NSW 126/123k V 257k Tas 134k WA 69k)
For a different way of looking at the same stats, I've ranked them by state order (though I note SA regionals and NT weren't included). Thus we have Vic 1.534m, NSW 625k, Qld 484k, WA 376k, SA (Adelaide only) 372k, Tas 134k.

No wonder the AFL placed second teams into NSW and Qld ahead of Tassie.

134,000 for Tassie isn't too bad, that's around a third of the population watching the Granny. I would like to see a team down there, though.

For a different way of looking at the same stats, I've ranked them by state order (though I note SA regionals and NT weren't included). Thus we have Vic 1.534m, NSW 625k, Qld 484k, WA 376k, SA (Adelaide only) 372k, Tas 134k.

Don't think they do SA and NT regionals

Interesting little graph I have come up with showing, at face value rather than statistically verified, the possible relationship between start time at GF ratings....this century, the NRL GF has had 7pm (or so) kick off from 2002 apart from 2008 to 2012 when it moved to a 5 pm (or so) kick off....
upload_2017-10-2_13-50-38.png

So since moving back to 7pmish in 2013, the NRL has had ratings 8.3% higher on average than the 5pm period

Obviously a shift from saturday arvo to twilight is not the same as sunday twilight to night...it is certainly likely though, given recent twilight prelim ratings, that such as shift would see a step change in AFL GF ratings ( not that this should be the only consideration)

SA regionals and NT arent covered by Oztam or RegionalTam

134,000 for Tassie isn't too bad, that's around a third of the population watching the Granny. I would like to see a team down there, though.
Yes - it's about as good as it could get ... and that's the problem with tiny Tassie. That's why the AFL have chosen to prioritise the far bigger markets of NSW and Qld. Even with a relatively modest slice of the NSW/Qld total viewing market, the 1,109m viewers was still well over 8 times the number from Tasmania.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a way to get those figures?

Presumably they are not measured at all.

I'm sure someone here at least has access to the populations covered by the Adelaide metro.....my understanding is that Melbourne metro area is the biggest ratings area because it includes the geelong region.

Apparently South Australia's population is about 1.68 million of which Adelaide is about 1.2 million.....so you would suspect that up to (but probably less than) 480K regional peoples in SA are not included and 250K NT peoples are not included

Yes - it's about as good as it could get ... and that's the problem with tiny Tassie. That's why the AFL have chosen to prioritise the far bigger markets of NSW and Qld. Even with a relatively modest slice of the NSW/Qld total viewing market, the 1,109m viewers was still well over 8 times the number from Tasmania.

Sydney v hawthorn, 2014 Grand Final, rated 204,000 in Tasmania

Presumably they are not measured at all.

I'm sure someone here at least has access to the populations covered by the Adelaide metro.....my understanding is that Melbourne metro area is the biggest ratings area because it includes the geelong region.

Apparently South Australia's population is about 1.68 million of which Adelaide is about 1.2 million.....so you would suspect that up to (but probably less than) 480K regional peoples in SA are not included and 250K NT peoples are not included

Adelaide metro covers much more than the metro area, incorporating the hills out past murray bridge, down to Victori, across Yorke penisula

adelaideoztam.png

Adelaide metro covers much more than the metro area, incorporating the hills out past murray bridge, down to Victori, across Yorke penisula

View attachment 423484

Well, that checks out

The next question, that someone here may or may not be able to answer, are other parts of South Australia that are not captured in "Adelaide", I'm thinking places like Mount Gambier and the riverland, captured in Victorian regional data?

If so, then it is probable that the "un-captured" parts of regional SA are perhaps barely north of 100k.....so in combination with the NT (and factoring that league is more popular in the NT than other Australian heartland areas) it is unlikely that the absence of these ratings has an impact beyond the low 10s of thousands on the relative GF figures

Well, that checks out

The next question, that someone here may or may not be able to answer, are other parts of South Australia that are not captured in "Adelaide", I'm thinking places like Mount Gambier and the riverland, captured in Victorian regional data?

If so, then it is probable that the "un-captured" parts of regional SA are perhaps barely north of 100k.....so in combination with the NT (and factoring that league is more popular in the NT than other Australian heartland areas) it is unlikely that the absence of these ratings has an impact beyond the low 10s of thousands on the relative GF figures

So it would seem that some of those riverland areas arent covered at all.

oztam_regionalvic.png

Already looking towards next season surprise surprise :(:(. Factoring the new stadium in Perth and if Collingwood got there act together. Richmond, West Coast and Collingwood, possibly Essendon could all average over 50,000 a per home game with Fremantle and Adelaide just under. 6 highest attended team could be averaging 47,000 for home games.

Despite losing the ratings apparently the NRL still won according to LU.
I still think the whole ratings system is very flawed and can only be a rough(very) estimate.
Two workmates were at BBQs that had around 50 people and even I had 8 people at my place watching so how do these hundreds of thousands at clubs,pubs,bars and BBQs get factored in or dont they?

Already looking towards next season surprise surprise :(:(. Factoring the new stadium in Perth and if Collingwood got there act together. Richmond, West Coast and Collingwood, possibly Essendon could all average over 50,000 a per home game with Fremantle and Adelaide just under. 6 highest attended team could be averaging 47,000 for home games.

If the clubs you mentioned get their acts together and we have another very close season the records will tumble.We just need one of the QLD clubs to start firing and that would be a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back