Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep it wasnt a good look for the opening of the season Now lets see how they go tonight as they only have a small window before the Tests and BBL kick in.Also will be interesting to see if the woeful TV ratings on SBS improve on CH10
Changing to summer by the A League instead of playing in traditional winter for football codes around the world reminds me of the saying "you can run but you cannot hide!"
It's actually slightly up on last game between these 2, but given what should be a nice bump due to opening hype, disappointing.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

Yep it wasnt a good look for the opening of the season Now lets see how they go tonight as they only have a small window before the Tests and BBL kick in.Also will be interesting to see if the woeful TV ratings on SBS improve on CH10
Changing to summer by the A League instead of playing in traditional winter for football codes around the world reminds me of the saying "you can run but you cannot hide!"

best attended game between the two clubs in 4 years at Aami Park. and still over a 1,000 better than the last time these two teams met.

Ah, we're back. Didn't take long.

Was under the impression The Wookie shut the previous code war crowds so we didn't get trolling like this on a thread that specifically said 'AFL and AFLW crowds'.

Suspect we won't have a chat about the 25-30k crowd likely tonight, nor the 45k derby next week, nor the 40k derby the week after. One game in and we're already taking potshots in a thread that had been cleaned up from them.

Was under the impression The Wookie shut the previous code war crowds so we didn't get trolling like this on a thread that specifically said 'AFL and AFLW crowds'.

Suspect we won't have a chat about the 25-30k crowd likely tonight, nor the 45k derby next week, nor the 40k derby the week after. One game in and we're already taking potshots in a thread that had been cleaned up from them.

Stop being so precious I said it will be interesting to see how they the go tonight at Docklands

The facts speak for themselves to get only 9000 in Melbourne where there are most likely 1 to 2 million migrants brought up with soccer as their main sport to get such little support for a local club albeit owned by Manchester City is perplexing.BTW I hope they sellout tonight and next week as its more money in the AFLs coffers.

"The gap between Melbourne and Sydney is remarkable enough just on those figures, but this does not include finals and more significantly special events which only take place in one city. So while you would need to add State of Origin for Sydney, you would also need to add over 700k attendees at the Australian Open, 200-300k at the F1 Grand Prix and around 300k at the Spring Racing Carnival."

On those figures the NRLs biggest problem is the Sydney market during the H&A season maybe they should have a look again in relocating a couple of clubs to Adelaide and Perth to make it more of a true national comp.

Last edited:
Stop being so precious I said it will be interesting to see how they the go tonight at Docklands

The facts speak for themselves to get only 9000 in Melbourne where there are most likely 1 to 2 million migrants brought up with soccer as their main sport to get such little support for a local club albeit owned by Manchester City is perplexing.BTW I hope they sellout tonight and next week as its more money in the AFLs coffers.
Migrants? Because soccer is only an ethnic game?

That's racism, mate. It's as Aussie as any sport.

How is soccer as Aussie as Aussie Rules?

By accusing people of racism if you suggest otherwise!

Our Game made a pretty innocuous and hard-to-argue-against point. A good portion of melbourne's population are from countries (or their parents are) where soccer is the dominant football code.

To be frank, we're effectively in the AFL offseason and this thread is all but done. I banned codewars earlier because they were taking over a thread needed for then current AFL ratings and crowds. This is not the case again until November.

If you want to have a chat about the good crowds, feel free to bring them up, but always remember this is an AFL based board.

By accusing people of racism if you suggest otherwise!

Our Game made a pretty innocuous and hard-to-argue-against point. A good portion of melbourne's population are from countries (or their parents are) where soccer is the dominant football code.
And the one thing they have in common? Bunch of bloody racist soccer hating wogs.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Migrants? Because soccer is only an ethnic game?

That's racism, mate. It's as Aussie as any sport.

Thats NOT racism its a fact!BTW apart from the first peoples on we are all from migrant stock.
Its not an "Aussie" sport it was imported from England.
The only true Australian Football developed in Australia is Australian Football not RU,RL,American Football,Gaelic football and Soccer that are all imported games.

Some other sports that started in Australia are Calisthenics,Polocross,Trugo,Surf life Saving Carnivals and Two Up if you class that as a sport

Last edited:
Thats NOT racism its a fact!BTW apart from the first peoples on we are all from migrant stock.
The only true Australian Football developed in Australia is Australian Football not RU,RL,American Football,Gaelic football and Soccer that are all imported games.

Some other sports that started in Australia are Calisthenics,Polocross,Trugo,Surf life Saving Carnivals and Two Up if you class that as a sport

You could certainly make a case that RL is at least in part an Australian game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fear for Trugo's future.

MV vs SFC attendance tonight: 24, 804

Ok crowd, nothing fantastic for an opening round crowd, also the grand final replay.

Agree ... providing one accepts that Yorkshire and Lancashire are part of Australia.

Not really. Rugby league broke from union in northern england before it did in Australia. The game "evolved" (I.e through rule changes) over the next century with Australia having at least as much influence as the RFL.

I fear for Trugo's future.

MV vs SFC attendance tonight: 24, 804

Ok crowd, nothing fantastic for an opening round crowd, also the grand final replay.

It's a terrible crowd for an opening round GF replay between these teams. Last decade, when soccer peaked in this country, the average "big blue" crowd at Etihad was about 35k.

The ffa would be happy with the central coast v jets crowd but the two Melbourne crowds have been poor

Possibly a dumb question but with regards to your last sentence, does the AFL get a set fee for the ground or do they get more depending on the attendance?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's a terrible crowd for an opening round GF replay between these teams. Last decade, when soccer peaked in this country, the average "big blue" crowd at Etihad was about 35k.

The ffa would be happy with the central coast v jets crowd but the two Melbourne crowds have been poor

biggest crowds respectively for their fixtures in 4 years. The crowds are more than passable.

Possibly a dumb question but with regards to your last sentence, does the AFL get a set fee for the ground or do they get more depending on the attendance?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Victory' 5 games a year deal has never been publicised. The AFL even sued for it, although they probably have the details now.

biggest crowds respectively for their fixtures in 4 years. The crowds are more than passable.

I'm not sure about that...there have been three worst big blue crowds at the docklands....one was an elimination final, one was very marginally less and the other was in 2010...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Blue_(A-League)

Interestingly, the last time they opened the season in a docklands big blue after they played off in a gf they got 40k....

The 9k for the city season opener would have been disappointing for the FFA....they'd be very dissapointed with last nights crowd though

I'm not sure about that...there have been three worst big blue crowds at the docklands....one was an elimination final, one was very marginally less and the other was in 2010...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Blue_(A-League)

Interestingly, the last time they opened the season in a docklands big blue after they played off in a gf they got 40k....

The 9k for the city season opener would have been disappointing for the FFA....they'd be very dissapointed with last nights crowd though

Wasnt just talking about the victory game.

Despite being the opener, the City v Roar game was the highest drawing attendance city have had for a game agaainst the roar in at least 4 years. Same goes for the F3 derby at Central Coast. Throw in a socceroos games 2 days before season start, and an all conquering womens series, and you've got a very quiet buildup to this week.

F3 Derby on Central Coast was great. 12k, Largest crowd between the two in a long time and the spice was back. Stadium looked great and actually looked like more than 12k but it’s a hard stadium to judge.

Not a bad crowd but not a good crowd at Docklands. FFA asleep at the wheel again on promotion and fixturing. Blockbusters should not be wasted on Round 1. Weak Victory side due to Internationals was not going be apeeling. Victory v Sydney is normally played in January in Melb and draws 30k.

Victory v City - Docklands
Adelaide v Victory - Adelaide Oval
Wanderers v Sydney - ANZ Stadium
To come. Not all doom and gloom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back