Game Day 2017 Collingwood Intra Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Alot of good medium/small defenders/forwards coming through.

Maynard, Howe in defence are locked in
Fasolo, Elliot in the forward line are locked in
Probably a group of 6-10 players contesting for the remaining 4 roles on a flank.

Really don't see the need to play Pendles as a backman or as a forward for any duration of the game.

If he needs a break, let him rest on the bench.

If he's up and ready, play him mid.
You play your best player in the best spot so Scott can dominate in the middle.

Gee he's good, cuts you up 1,000 ways

Anyone popped over to the Dons site to see the 10 min highlights vid of their intra match? Thought I'd have a look for a comparison to where we are at since we play them in a week.

Obviously it is only highlights of an intra so can't take too much from either team, but I must say they seem to have been well drilled by woosha and have genuine smooth set plays.
Look a lot less haphazard with their transition and forward entries and Daniher looks primed.

Will be an interesting game.

Won't work with Buckley and is happy with his role at Hawks is what I'm led to believe.

Doesn't mean we should give up trying! I'm a romantic at heart and if there are quality ex premiership players working at other clubs then we should stick tight with them and hope to bring them back.

Wright is welcome to bring Monky with him too

Anyone popped over to the Dons site to see the 10 min highlights vid of their intra match? Thought I'd have a look for a comparison to where we are at since we play them in a week.

Obviously it is only highlights of an intra so can't take too much from either team, but I must say they seem to have been well drilled by woosha and have genuine smooth set plays.
Look a lot less haphazard with their transition and forward entries and Daniher looks primed.

TO be honest, when I heard we would be playing Essendon first up in the JLT I thought it was the worst case scenario for us.

Even though its a practice match, it's still going to be a big occasion for the Bombers given it is the return of their suspended players. They'll be primed.

However, they'll be missing a few of their bigger names as well, and I'm not sure they will risk Danniher considering he is still working back from a knee injury and only played a small portion of the intra-club game. Hooker is also out I think and I'm not sure if Hurley is still injured.

TO be honest, when I heard we would be playing Essendon first up in the JLT I thought it was the worst case scenario for us.

Even though its a practice match, it's still going to be a big occasion for the Bombers given it is the return of their suspended players. They'll be primed.

However, they'll be missing a few of their bigger names as well, and I'm not sure they will risk Danniher considering he is still working back from a knee injury and only played a small portion of the intra-club game. Hooker is also out I think and I'm not sure if Hurley is still injured.

Winning or losing is meaningless. I'm hoping that the Dons do go hard as it will better prepare us for Round 1.

Yeah they need a good PR story, not much better then fielding a decent 22 and beating the pies to get the footy world talking positively about them. Not too mention get their supporters up and about.

Anyway the point I was making is if I was bomber fan (vomit) I would be very happy to see the way they are moving the footy in a game environment, they clearly have good leading patterns from teh big forwards, their ball use to leads was often advantage side into space aand when they ran it out of defence it was done with smooth wave like handballs and long kicks to a leading fwd and then again a nice kick from HF/wing into the f50.
They had numerous goals from smalls roving packs like the daicos goal.

Seem well drilled and well balanced in player type and game plan.

Again only an intra game and highlights of it but yeah if you compared it to ours well lets put it this way, I was more hopeful on 2017 before I watched the 3qtr intra match then after I watched it.

They'll smash us, this will be like a GF to them, I'd play all the kids and give them a taste of some real football.

Not sure why you'd regard it as worst case given the game means nothing. I'm just looking forward to seeing what our kids can do in a genuine competitive game next week.

I thought we played a good brand of footy on Wednesday personally, but each to their own!

I saw a lot of what I have seen the last few years.

Ball movement for large parts was sideways, stymied and not conducive of giving our forwards a chance.

We had some nice individual break form center/HB moments thanks to Treloar and Adams.

We had the odd good transition from defence to forward line into elliott, but nothing with any regularity or through our kPP that made me think we looked well drilled as a forward unit or our mids in delivery into said fwd line.

But I also realise we had our best 22 split over 2 teams (and some missing) and it is only an intra match we will get a better view vs the bombers.

Just I guess I was hoping to see a change or better systems in play, if you want to know what I'm talking about watch the Bombers highlights and you can see the way they are
a) moving the footy from defence to the forwardline
b) delivering the ball to advantage side of the target
c) fwds making leads to space and being honored
d) having multiple smalls at the feet of packs creating goals.

Don't get me wrong I definitely saw some good signs in some areas for us, but I was hoping to see improvement in areas we have had issues with for a few years under Bucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've watched the full replay now.

Surprised to see criticisms of Blair and Aish in this thread. I thought both were actually really good. I don't read too much into intra-club matches, but I think both played good games.

I think every player floated in and out, and that is largely due to player management and also the fact players were switching sides etc.

In the first period, it was clear that the Black side had the much stronger side, yet Aish and Treloar single handedly kept them in it. Both were instrumental early. Then sides switched around. Treloar was probably the most consistent player throughout.

You are not the only who Can't Believe the Crack on Aish. He was very good in the Grey alongside Treloar and WHE.

Treloar does not know how to take it easy and same with Adams

Agree. Just about every Player where In and Out of the Game.

Our key defenders ultimately did ok, but really we didn't have any key forwards to challenge them. The best forward on the ground was Ash Close in the end. Schade looks solid, and Dunne gets involved. Both will be decent stop-gaps this year, but the fact is that we need McLarty to come on quickly. Goldsack was also useful, and I think he will be important this year. I thought he had a decent game.

But How hard did the KPF Try? Moore who is a Gun had next to no Impact

Was obviously pleasing to see Daicos do well. He definitely looked like he belonged. That sort of game is going to suit him though, and it will be interesting to see how he goes against a full strength AFL side. He did enough to earn himself a JLT spot though, which is realistically all he has to do at this stage.

Daicos looks like he Just Keeps getting Better

At this stage with Shaz, I'd just be working on his fitness and instructing him to beat his man defensively. As he develops, he'll become an offensive weapon too. He looks his best though body to body where he can force his man under it and take an intercept mark.

I saw him do that on Lynch Once

I thought we played a good brand of footy on Wednesday personally, but each to their own!

Likewise considering it was almost completely different to how home and away games will play out.

I find it difficult to comment yet from a brand perspective because I have nothing to compare it too (not keen to compare with other teams in the slightest) and the teams were unevenly distributed, IMO.

I'll simply stick to how we moved the ball when players were fresh which was positive with plenty of play on.

Likewise considering it was almost completely different to how home and away games will play out.

I find it difficult to comment yet from a brand perspective because I have nothing to compare it too (not keen to compare with other teams in the slightest) and the teams were unevenly distributed, IMO.

I'll simply stick to how we moved the ball when players were fresh which was positive with plenty of play on.

First quarter black team had a heap of sidewards and stifled movement, they dominated all but the last 10 minutes which thrrough Aish and treloar saw grey team pile on quick succession of goals.
We had almost zero from our bigs in terms of quality leads both from a presentation point and from when they did quick movement and kicks to advantage to them throughout an entire 3 quarters of play.

For mine I saw a LOT of what we have seen previously.

Not saying it will pan out that way in the season proper but I was HOPING to see improvements in this area across the board sadly i didn't.

First quarter black team had a heap of sidewards and stifled movement, they dominated all but the last 10 minutes which thrrough Aish and treloar saw grey team pile on quick succession of goals.
We had almost zero from our bigs in terms of quality leads both from a presentation point and from when they did quick movement and kicks to advantage to them throughout an entire 3 quarters of play.

For mine I saw a LOT of what we have seen previously.

Not saying it will pan out that way in the season proper but I was HOPING to see improvements in this area across the board sadly i didn't.

We saw it differently that's cool.

I took note of how often we played on from stop plays which was very different from 2016. The speed of ball movement slowed once players tired which was to be expected given the lack of match conditioning and heat.

Until we have a core group of 16 at least together you can't take much from it, IMO. For mine we play a congested style of game that relies on pressuring the ball carrier and winning at the contest. Until we start to see congested football I'll sit back and take note of individuals more than anything else.

Not sure he tanked but he was carefully managed stayed out of the elite systems (which impacted on his fitness) until his draft year, he often displayed elite talent but would go missing (which i put down to being behind on endurance compared to many other tac and champ players).

I only got to watch 5-6 games of his last year but it was enough for me to see his potential, he is elite disposer great vision, great clean hands, smart with ball in hand and gets to good spots often.

Brown jnr will also likely prove to be a good player but in a different way.

How would you rate his contested ball skills, Loki?

You are not the only who Can't Believe the Crack on Aish. He was very good in the Grey alongside Treloar and WHE.

Treloar does not know how to take it easy and same with Adams

Agree. Just about every Player where In and Out of the Game.

But How hard did the KPF Try? Moore who is a Gun had next to no Impact

Daicos looks like he Just Keeps getting Better

I saw him do that on Lynch Once
I thought Aish was OK and certainly would not be singling him out for special attention. There again I do have a bit of a bias in his favour.

Our lack of key forwards certainly gave little indication of how good or ordinary our key backs are. Goldsack surprised me with his bulk - is it just me or has he been hitting the weights heavily over summer? Still he is never going to be a great KPD. That time has past and he is in the twilight of his career. Schade is too skinny for the role, and I have already remarked upon the lack of height of Dunn, who I swear did not look over 183 cm up close. Certainly we will have more mobility down back as well as better and quicker disposal by foot. The first side we play that boasts good KPF's is going to really test out the quality of our key backs.

I'm actually on the other side of the coin. I think we will smash Essendon in the NAB Cup (refuse to call it JLT Stupid name) then every fellow is going to get all ramped up, then be let down when the season begins.

But to be real. Even with their squad back. I seriously doubt the dons can beat us even in a preseason. They will need more time to find their stride imo

Not sure why you'd regard it as worst case given the game means nothing. I'm just looking forward to seeing what our kids can do in a genuine competitive game next week.

I just don't think you need to have your hard hit-out in the first JLT series before bodies are match-conditioned.

I would've just preferred a lighter run against a side playing an equally undermanned side. Who knows, Essendon may also name an undermanned side as well and my concern is for nothing, but I just think they'll name a strong one given their situation. A big start is quite important to them.

Perhaps I'm reading too far into it, and I'm definitely not against a few tough hitouts to condition the players. It's just not the team I was hoping to draw in the first practice match.

How would you rate his contested ball skills, Loki?

IMO in the limited games i have watched : He is capable in a contest but not his forte or weapon (in the way of say T.Adams or Luke Ball kamikaze style), but have seen him extract from time to time more in the Pendles style if you get my drift.
Is also good at making space for himself or others with good vision in traffic and decent first few steps, like in the goal he kicked in the intra.

*(Before anyone jumps down my throat I am comparing only the style of which he keeps his feet in congestion when winning the contested footy. Ie: rarely do you see pendles dive into the bottom of a pack, or go in kamakaze like Luke Ball used too and Adams currently does, nor does he need too.)

Daicos main things will be working on an AFL tank, an AFL body, getting his numbers up across the board as he has tendency's to drift in and out of matches at jnr level.

I thought Aish was OK and certainly would not be singling him out for special attention. There again I do have a bit of a bias in his favour..

He Kicked a Goal and Set Up a Few.

Outside of Treloar and Adams. No one really deserved to be Singled out then

It's early, it's intra and it's hot, but early signs of change in QT 1?
More use of handball as an attacking tool?
Emphasis on switching faster by foot?

To be honest, it looked a lot like last year's intra. Unfortunately a lot of easy goals over the top. If anything, I reckon the heat made the intensity even lower than last year. The players did seem to play on a lot and try to keep the ball moving.

I don't think we can read too much into it. In the end it is less about structure and more about conditioning. We'll know more from the JLT series

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2017 Collingwood Intra Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back