Game Day 2017 Collingwood Intra Club

Remove this Banner Ad

They didn't do it with any regularity and mostly Moore was having to jump over a pack unsuccessfully, think Moore took 1 mark from a lead and mark type set play, Jesse was similar.

That was the extent of their involvement overall due to the nature of the game. There was enough of it for me last night to not see it as an area to go too deeply into because we saw it from each of our forward options. Like the game itself a taste is all that was needed and a taste is what we got, IMO.

I also think you're fighting a losing battle re Blair. He's a player that draws extreme views due to his role. Individuals that rate hard work over game breaking ability will naturally rate him higher and vice versa. Nothing amusing about it just that some get blinded by the opinions going against their view.

Blair played a good solid game but there is one thing i dislike about that comment that is oft thrown around.

Blair's bar for what many consider adequate -solid performance for "holding his spot" is often very much lower then some performances from other (what some see as more) talented players. The ones pushing through often have a similar stat line (sometimes greater) to Blair but often offer a higher ceiling.

Blair was not even in the bests when he had a small stint in the VFL he had similar teens output as he does at AFL level.

Is it fair to have one players bar set at point "a" but have a younger (which usually leads to more inconsistency) players bar set to point "b" which often asks for above and beyond that of player "a"?
I would disagree with your idea and suggest the role Blair is asked to play entails more than just looking at stat numbers. Although he will struggle to hold a spot in 2017 if we have a full list and I dont have him in my round 1 side i cant agree he has been gifted games in the way you are suggesting. Blair is the type I think you would need to hear the match committees game plans and roles to really understand where they rank him. I just dont see any MC using the criteria you suggest to keep young talented players out of the side.

I would disagree with your idea and suggest the role Blair is asked to play entails more than just looking at stat numbers. Although he will struggle to hold a spot in 2017 if we have a full list and I dont have him in my round 1 side i cant agree he has been gifted games in the way you are suggesting. Blair is the type I think you would need to hear the match committees game plans and roles to really understand where they rank him. I just dont see any MC using the criteria you suggest to keep young talented players out of the side.

A lot of young players chase and tackle, ie provide pressure.

It is taught to all players some are just lazy, obviously they would be told you need to providing x amount of pressure and meeting x KPI. I just don't see his role as one "hard to fill", in fact chasing and tackling when not in possession is one of the most easier things to do all it requires is a bit of tenacity and work rate...

I think the "pure defensive forward" is stupid concept that limits the creativeness that a forward line should possess allows defender to become more assertive (as they do not fear the player as an offensive threat).
ALL players should play defensively when the ball is turned over all players should be expected to chase and harass. It is not a special role ANY mug can do it.
For all Blairs fans insistence on his defensive efforts his opponents often get a fair wack of footy and are often involved in getting in the space or at the feet of our bigs.

Anyone see the Edmeiester ?
Yes Eddie strutted out of the glasshouse just prior to the match starting and walked past the crowd about 5 meters in from the fence. He casually asked how we were all going and if we were trying to keep cool. The last I saw of him he was shaking hands with someone over the fence.

I also think you're fighting a losing battle re Blair. He's a player that draws extreme views due to his role. Individuals that rate hard work over game breaking ability will naturally rate him higher and vice versa. Nothing amusing about it just that some get blinded by the opinions going against their view.

Must say I found it amusing Sco and I had you leading the pack of the "Blinded dislikers". The below post made me laugh. He barely got a sniff apart from at least 7 possessions, involvements in about 4 scoring chains, some of which lead to goals and a few pressure acts. I took a bit of a double take when i read the below post last night because I thought Blair got plenty of the ball in the 3rd Q. When I watched the replay this morning I took note of what his 3rd Q involved.

Then the theory that changing a few senior players form one side to another would be enough to make Blair impotent is just fanciful. This was a intraclub match, full of kids and VFL players. He is a 140+ game AFL player, his performance is meaningless here because its meaningless to how he will be assessed in 2017, same as all the senior guys. They will be judged on more serious games. This for them is a doddle. So to bring up an incorrect observation and then tie it with an explanation that doesn't make sense is just typical of the blinded view a lot have when it comes to Blair.

Notice how he barely got a sniff in that third quarter. Its because he was no longer up against VFL opposition with teammates dominating around him once the teams balanced out.

What he's produced tonight is exactly what he puts up at VFL level. With WHE (very impressive) and Mayne coming in, Elliott and Fasolo returning from injury and Phillips and Daicos showing great signs he needs to step up.

I make no secret that I admire players like Blair who squeeze every drop of talent they have and can never be questioned on effort. I have I reckon a pretty fair balance when it comes to judging his worth. I dont think he will be best 22 in 2017 and if he is not that will be a good thing because others have gone past him.

Still in the thread last night and in other threads today i have read posts that have an incorrect and immediate dip at him and are immediately liked by a number of other posters. He was good last night , but that doesn't mean anything as it was intraclub. Still I can't quite fathom why you and a few others were so single minded in your desire to knock him.

Yes Eddie strutted out of the glasshouse just prior to the match starting and walked past the crowd about 5 meters in from the fence. He casually asked how we were all going and if we were trying to keep cool. The last I saw of him he was shaking hands with someone over the fence.
Who had more body fat out there.. Dunn or Mcguire?

Must say I found it amusing Sco and I had you leading the pack of the "Blinded dislikers". The below post made me laugh. He barely got a sniff apart from at least 7 possessions, involvements in about 4 scoring chains, some of which lead to goals and a few pressure acts. I took a bit of a double take when i read the below post last night because I thought Blair got plenty of the ball in the 3rd Q. When I watched the replay this morning I took note of what his 3rd Q involved.

Then the theory that changing a few senior players form one side to another would be enough to make Blair impotent is just fanciful. This was a intraclub match, full of kids and VFL players. He is a 140+ game AFL player, his performance is meaningless here because its meaningless to how he will be assessed in 2017, same as all the senior guys. They will be judged on more serious games. This for them is a doddle. So to bring up an incorrect observation and then tie it with an explanation that doesn't make sense is just typical of the blinded view a lot have when it comes to Blair.

I make no secret that I admire players like Blair who squeeze every drop of talent they have and can never be questioned on effort. I have I reckon a pretty fair balance when it comes to judging his worth. I dont think he will be best 22 in 2017 and if he is not that will be a good thing because others have gone past him.

Still in the thread last night and in other threads today i have read posts that have an incorrect and immediate dip at him and are immediately liked by a number of other posters. He was good last night , but that doesn't mean anything as it was intraclub. Still I can't quite fathom why you and a few others were so single minded in your desire to knock him.

Why do we always refer to 'the best 22' when in fact it would be 'the best 26-30' taking into consideration every club has 4+ injured players at any given time.

The best 22 is really outdated and illogical.

A lot of young players chase and tackle, ie provide pressure.

It is taught to all players some are just lazy, obviously they would be told you need to providing x amount of pressure and meeting x KPI. I just don't see his role as one "hard to fill", in fact chasing and tackling when not in possession is one of the most easier things to do all it requires is a bit of tenacity and work rate...

I think the "pure defensive forward" is stupid concept that limits the creativeness that a forward line should possess allows defender to become more assertive (as they do not fear the player as an offensive threat).
ALL players should play defensively when the ball is turned over all players should be expected to chase and harass. It is not a special role ANY mug can do it.
For all Blairs fans insistence on his defensive efforts his opponents often get a fair wack of footy and are often involved in getting in the space or at the feet of our bigs.
We probably dont see Blair that differently. He just hangs in there as far a selection in the team. Maybe you have him out of it and I have him just in previously and out now.

Still that "role" probably takes a little more mental strength than you give it credit for. A lot of players would struggle with the sacrifice and the chase.

One thing I have often put up on these threads is I believe Blair would be more highly rated by Bucks, Pendles and the playing group than he would by BF in general. Do you disagree with that idea? If you don't does it give any substance to the thought that he plays a more valued role in the team than many on here would believe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do we always refer to 'the best 22' when in fact it would be 'the best 26-30' taking into consideration every club has 4+ injured players at any given time.

The best 22 is really outdated and illogical.
I think of best 22 at this time of the year as the best if all available. Discussing it during the season becomes a week to week of who is available. If we do a best 26-30 then Blair is in that for mine.

As you can see this is why its a losing battle. You have an investment in trying to prove the opposing views wrong, given you've already watched a replay of a scratch match, whereas I'm just not overly fussed about analysing the performance of a 20-30 ranked player.

In my viewing he had one impactful play in the 3rd quarter via the give to Cox for his goal from the boundary throw in. The rest were stop play accumulation possessions that came about through the way the ball was being shuffled around. They had him involved in scoring chains, but not commencing them as a WHE or Elliott or Fasolo will do. He unfortunately lacks the ability to make things happen in the forward half which is what the team now needs.

I'll bring it back to my initial comment which was "Blair and Greenwood picked up where they left off in 2016". Which is to say that Blair was "busy" in his own way yet lacking impact and would do a couple of nice things then throw it away (in this match it was the set shot into the man on the mark). It wasn't a congested style of game so his usual tackling defficincies didn't come to the fore. That aside we saw Jarryd Blair as he has been since 2011.

There is no "blinding dislike" and the us against them mentatlity of the discussion is frustrating because it was a scratch match so we're over analysing it, but a battler is a battler and I can't be bothered tip toeing around it.

I don't know what else you're after given you didn't actually find mirth in the opposing POV? An acknowledgement that others saw it differently is all that is really needed.

Edit: I should add that I have no issue talking ways he can improve which will in turn help the team improve because I'm all about our club being better, but that isn't happening here, IMO.

Last edited:
I now feel vindicated given you have no idea what my original post was so thank you!

I've read the entire thread and you've consistently stated that Aish underwhelmed, went so far as to label his performance as poor... what was I supposed to have missed.

Re-watch the 1st quarter. The performances of Treloar and Aish were the reason the undermanned grey team was even in the contest.

His old man did say he thought he was more advanced than him at the same stage of their careers.
Gary Abblet Jr. didn't look anything special when he started.
Josh could be a huge surprise packet.
The younger one is even better apparently.

Peter Daicos was a star from a very young age. Gavin Brown by comparison progressed on a more normal learning curve.

So if Daic jnr is better than his old man at the same age (but behind Brown jnr at the draft) ....then thats additional fuel to my theory he tanked last year!!

My take on last night is it is mostly meaningless in trying to interpret anything into the season proper but is fun to watch and gives a few indirect pointers.

What I took away was

1. Biggest thing by far was seeing Elliott, Shaz, Ramsay and Wells playing, the 1st 3 the whole game. Baring setbacks we can assume all 4 are good to go for round 1 and by the match interview Reid will be also. That is the news of the night.

2. The small medium back positions going to be intensely fought and these guys will be going hammer and tongs to get a position during pre season matches. Considering 2016 and last night I would lock in Howe and Maynard. Smith, Ramsay, Goldsack and Sinclair are going to be hard to toss out. Shaz and Oxley were solid last night but will probably have to wait a little while for now. Sharenbergs aerial work last night was great and he will build greatly during 2017 and hopefully become a part of the 22. Langdon has picked a bad time to have such a long injury. All this may change over the pre season because they all look well placed at this stag of the season.

3. Cox was good last night and his ruckwork continues to evolve. If he can improve the timing of his leap he becomes unbeatable in a ruck contest where he gets a run at it. As a 2nd string ruck coming up against other 2nd stringers he could become dangerous.

4. I saw Daics for the 1st time at training 2 weeks ago and he stood out. Again last night he just seemed comfortable out there. Early days but interesting

5. Max Lynch moves really well for a big man and is a strong 18yo. As a late rookie pick he has made a good start.

6 The blinded dislike of Blairy in this thread has been amusing to read. It is not in my DNA to be so anti a Collingwood flag player who only ever does his best but still it has been funny to read some of the opinions so clearly formed before the match had started. Just dont understand posters need to pot the guy.

I'd add Sinclair to your 1st point.

As you can see this is why its a losing battle. You have an investment in trying to prove the opposing views wrong, given you've already watched a replay of a scratch match, whereas I'm just not overly fussed about analysing the performance of a 20-30 ranked player.

In my viewing he had one impactful play in the 3rd quarter via the give to Cox for his goal from the boundary throw in. The rest were stop play accumulation possessions that came about through the way the ball was being shuffled around. They had him involved in scoring chains, but not commencing them as a WHE or Elliott or Fasolo will do. He unfortunately lacks the ability to make things happen in the forward half which is what the team now needs.

I'll bring it back to my initial comment which was "Blair and Greenwood picked up where they left off in 2016". Which is to say that Blair was "busy" in his own way yet lacking impact and would do a couple of nice things then throw it away (in this match it was the set shot into the man on the mark). It wasn't a congested style of game so his usual tackling defficincies didn't come to the fore. That aside we saw Jarryd Blair as he has been since 2011.

There is no "blinding dislike" and the us against them mentatlity of the discussion is frustrating because it was a scratch match so we're over analysing it, but a battler is a battler and I can't be bothered tip toeing around it.

I don't know what else you're after given you didn't actually find mirth in the opposing POV? An acknowledgement that others saw it differently is all that is really needed.

Edit: I should add that I have no issue talking ways he can improve which will in turn help the team improve because I'm all about our club being better, but that isn't happening here, IMO.

Then again I have only reacted to the thread as it evolved. There were many negative posts about Blair before I was involved. Just put it down to me not understanding the need to knock Blair at every opportunity.

I agree with you Blair is in trouble holding a spot for 2017.

We are no doubt overanalysing it yet you were the one who incorrectly said Blair didn't get a sniff in the 3rd Q and then thought enough about it to devise a theory why that occurred.

Even this morning you were thinking enough about Blairs game last night that you chipped a little dip at Blair again when CFC asked you how Mayne went last night.

He did what Chris Mayne does minus the pressure. On the other hand Jarryd Blair' one to watch ;)

As I said I just don't understand the dislike for a battler.

I'd add Sinclair to your 1st point.
I would be pretty close to that but Ramsay may have something to say about it. Both can play. Maynard looked so strong last night I think he is the one who could really step up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2017 Collingwood Intra Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back