Game Day 2017 Collingwood Intra Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Daicos was a star from a very young age. Gavin Brown by comparison progressed on a more normal learning curve.

So if Daic jnr is better than his old man at the same age (but behind Brown jnr at the draft) ....then thats additional fuel to my theory he tanked last year!!

I watched the first game Daicos played and went to most of his games in the 1980's.
Know exactly how good he was.
I was surprised he would come out and say the kid was more advanced than him at same period.
Lucky the other clubs did not pay attention to the tyre pumping.
Although one of the so called draft experts had Josh around the 30 mark.
Could have been Buckenara.
That one knew what he was talking about.
Think the kid will be great value.

Yes Eddie strutted out of the glasshouse just prior to the match starting and walked past the crowd about 5 meters in from the fence. He casually asked how we were all going and if we were trying to keep cool. The last I saw of him he was shaking hands with someone over the fence.

Thank God for that!

Then again I have only reacted to the thread as it evolved. There were many negative posts about Blair before I was involved. Just put it down to me not understanding the need to knock Blair at every opportunity.

I agree with you Blair is in trouble holding a spot for 2017.

We are no doubt overanalysing it yet you were the one who incorrectly said Blair didn't get a sniff in the 3rd Q and then thought enough about it to devise a theory why that occurred.

Even this morning you were thinking enough about Blairs game last night that you chipped a little dip at Blair again when CFC asked you how Mayne went last night.

As I said I just don't understand the dislike for a battler.

Agree. You need to be a bloody good footballer to make it to the AFL so I have a distain for players being labelled duds etc when only about 10% ever make it to elite status.

At AFL level, Blair is an honest toiler. I have always said I won't have any issues with him being surpassed by a player who offers more. Thought it would likely happen in 2016 but injuries didn't allow that to occur. I think he's really up against it in 2017 given our (current) depth.

His old man did say he thought he was more advanced than him at the same stage of their careers.
Gary Abblet Jr. didn't look anything special when he started.
Josh could be a huge surprise packet.
The younger one is even better apparently.

Yeah and Michael Jordan failed to make the high school basketball team.. advancement my..

I've read the entire thread and you've consistently stated that Aish underwhelmed, went so far as to label his performance as poor... what was I supposed to have missed.

Re-watch the 1st quarter. The performances of Treloar and Aish were the reason the undermanned grey team was even in the contest.
Thought the grey team did ok. They actually led at 1/4 time 5.0 to 4.1 by my scoring. Lost track after that

I haven't watched the game yet but will watch a replay tonight.

I wouldn't have thought though that it would matter terribly how Blair or Greenwood performed.

These matched are typically always quite open and free flowing. Clearly players like Blair and Greenwood aren't going to thrive in this style of match as they are more contested footy types. In a hard contested game though, I'd like to have Greenwood in particular in there, either roughing up the Joel Selwood types or just crashing in.

Admittingly, Blair's spot in the team is very vulnerable, and I think for us to be successful someone like Hoskin-Elliott or Broomhead comes in to take his spot. Or we just go an extra mid like Aish and use someone like De Goey as a half forward. With Elliott, Fasolo and Mayne...we have plenty of forward pressure there so I don't think Blair long term has a spot.

Handy squad player though.

Greenwood I think will have a good year.

Then again I have only reacted to the thread as it evolved. There were many negative posts about Blair before I was involved. Just put it down to me not understanding the need to knock Blair at every opportunity.

I agree with you Blair is in trouble holding a spot for 2017.

We are no doubt overanalysing it yet you were the one who incorrectly said Blair didn't get a sniff in the 3rd Q and then thought enough about it to devise a theory why that occurred.

Even this morning you were thinking enough about Blairs game last night that you chipped a little dip at Blair again when CFC asked you how Mayne went last night.

As I said I just don't understand the dislike for a battler.

Oh contraire no dip at Blair only to those leaping to his defence with comments like "Blair hating fanboi's" and "blinding dislike". It's provocative language so I couldn't help indulging.

It seems we're at an impasse because like yourself I don't see the need to stand up for a player who's spot is in jeopardy. My guess is the Aussie spirit of routing for the underdog?

Oh contraire no dip at Blair only to those leaping to his defence with comments like "Blair hating fanboi's" and "blinding dislike". It's provocative language so I couldn't help indulging.

It seems we're at an impasse because like yourself I don't see the need to stand up for a player who's spot is in jeopardy. My guess is the Aussie spirit of routing for the underdog?
I didnt mind my term "blinded dislike". Blair played well last night but as I said that means nothing for 2017. Lots of positive comments about many players in this thread but then all the usual "Blair is the only negative for me" "Blair butchering the ball" "Is there an automatic praise switch for Blair" "Blair didnt get a sniff in the 3rd". Mine was a fair description of your and others inaccurate posts. Not provocative just responsive.

As you say its an impasse. Probably wasted too much space already, a common fault of mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said! From the limited game time that I watched I was impressed with Aish's efforts!

I thought he was solid. B+ for me, which is good enough at this stage. We'll certainly have enough midfielders and small forwards/defenders competing for spots. My biggest worry is the key positions. Though we are noticeably more mobile. Taking Cloke out makes the forward like, with Mayne, look positively zippy and with no Brown in defence, we look quicker there too. This seems to be the way the game has moved -- for the time being. I can imagine Howe playing on key forwards this year, for example.

The backlines instantly looked neater with the ball in hand.

Team defending though didn't fill me with confidence but I won't worry about that just yet (even though last years laughable defending in the intra carried on into the reg season)

I didnt mind my term "blinded dislike". Blair played well last night but as I said that means nothing for 2017. Lots of positive comments about many players in this thread but then all the usual "Blair is the only negative for me" "Blair butchering the ball" "Is there an automatic praise switch for Blair" "Blair didnt get a sniff in the 3rd". Mine was a fair description of your and others inaccurate posts. Not provocative just responsive.

As you say its an impasse. Probably wasted too much space already, a common fault of mine.

Given I'm the appointed leader of the pack with my assessment of his weaker 3rd period and these seem to be subjective views it seems we're in furious agreement so I'll stick with provocative.

Wasting valuable internet space is certainly an area I need to improve on so all's well that ends well :thumbsu:

Total respect for Blair, not blessed with speed or height and an average disposer. Even so he has managed to extract every single ounce out of himself, is a GF hero and a constant best 22 player over a long period of time. He plays for the jumper and always throws his slight frame into the fray with no thought of injury or the lack of stats for blocks, scrags and scrambling football.

However . . .

Whilst he is an iron clad selection in the 22 we will be a middle of the road side - at best 5th-8th.

One of the youngsters needs to take his spot from him.

Total respect for Blair, not blessed with speed or height and an average disposer. Even so he has managed to extract every single ounce out of himself, is a GF hero and a constant best 22 player over a long period of time. He plays for the jumper and always throws his slight frame into the fray with no thought of injury or the lack of stats for blocks, scrags and scrambling football.

However . . .

Whilst he is an iron clad selection in the 22 we will be a middle of the road side - at best 5th-8th.

One of the youngsters needs to take his spot from him.

This will be the year hes pushed aside. Agree all credit to him and he will be good depth for a while yet but we need more class in that forward line and that will come from Elliot WHE and Fasolo. The bulk and defensive pressure wiill come from Mayne Greenwood Sinclair or a couple of other mids who are squeezed out of the centre square. Will be an uphill battle for Blair this year.

Given I'm the appointed leader of the pack with my assessment of his weaker 3rd period and these seem to be subjective views it seems we're in furious agreement so I'll stick with provocative.

Wasting valuable internet space is certainly an area I need to improve on so all's well that ends well :thumbsu:
I am about to watch the 3rd qtr replay and will be keenly noting every touch by Blair both for quantity and quality! :) I thought his first qtr was alright, though perhaps a little quieter in the 2nd.

I haven't watched the game yet but will watch a replay tonight.

I wouldn't have thought though that it would matter terribly how Blair or Greenwood performed.

These matched are typically always quite open and free flowing. Clearly players like Blair and Greenwood aren't going to thrive in this style of match as they are more contested footy types. In a hard contested game though, I'd like to have Greenwood in particular in there, either roughing up the Joel Selwood types or just crashing in.

Admittingly, Blair's spot in the team is very vulnerable, and I think for us to be successful someone like Hoskin-Elliott or Broomhead comes in to take his spot. Or we just go an extra mid like Aish and use someone like De Goey as a half forward. With Elliott, Fasolo and Mayne...we have plenty of forward pressure there so I don't think Blair long term has a spot.

Handy squad player though.

Greenwood I think will have a good year.

But he did.... Some people just watch the game with their eyes glued shut unfortunately.

How did Schade go? I'm hoping he becomes a surprise gem for us.
I saw him run onto the ground then saw him no more. I have since watched the first 2 qtrs of the replay and have failed to spot him at all. Physically he reminds me too much of a Gault type, a bit skinny and unlikely to be first choice against the bulkier tall forwards.

I saw him run onto the ground then saw him no more. I have since watched the first 2 qtrs of the replay and have failed to spot him at all. Physically he reminds me too much of a Gault type, a bit skinny and unlikely to be first choice against the bulkier tall forwards.

Yet Robert Harvey praised his game...... I didn't see him either!

“There was a bit to like with some of the new guys like Henry Schade, who did well...."

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2017 Collingwood Intra Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back