Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They still keep their next year pick from Rd 1 to Rd 3 , worse come to worse delist trengove, Thomas, canon next year and replace them with new draftee . Three out three in.

Port Adelaide 2018 draft

1 first rd pick
2 second rd pick
2 third rd pick

* If DFA work they can sell their pick to club like Freo , if not delist them and draft 5 draftee .
True,
But what message is this sending to the fringe best 22 guys?
You’re not up to it. These guys are better.
I just feel such drastic changes could create disharmony & we all know how important a positive team spirit is.

True,
I just feel such drastic changes could create disharmony & we all know how important a positive team spirit is.
Spot on. No development of the next breed. I believe they are picking up some spuds who will be delisted in 1 year and what have they gained squat. There is some potential worth exploring with McKenzie but Trengove and Thomas are spent for mine. Suban leaves them both for dead.

I did too, but Trengrove and Thomas?

I thought Motlop, Watts and Rockliff were great pick ups, but now it feels like they've gone over the top.

Obviously if they win a premiership all good.

And they have to get them to all gel into their PA game. Every side a little different and a few new ins is okay but how many is okay?

True,
Who Thomas going to displace ? Wingard or motlop
Trengove ? Will be more likely temporary replacement for Gray due to his illness , Brandon ah Chee
McKenzie ? Just a reserve replacement for Jackson .
These DFA knew that if they don't perform they will be gone next year anywhere.

Who Thomas going to displace ? Wingard or motlop
Trengove ? Will be more likely temporary replacement for Gray due to his illness , Brandon ah Chee
McKenzie ? Just a reserve replacement for Jackson .
These DFA knew that if they don't perform they will be gone next year anywhere.
So how do you feel if you are the young kid already there & set to step up?
I also hope Gray’s health is good

And they have to get them to all gel into their PA game. Every side a little different and a few new ins is okay but how many is okay?

Richmond had 4 in their premiership team but played some games with 6 during the season. It worked for them but I doubt there would've been a higher amount that've been successful in the last 20 years.

You'd feel like you have to work your arse off to get a game I'd say. Just as it should be.
Of course there is that aspect, if a couple of “current” “soldiers” arrive,
But the mass influx for mine sends a message that the current crop aren’t good enough.
Of course we know they aren’t good enough, but this seems like a move that could create disharmony

So how do you feel if you are the young kid already there & set to step up?
I also hope Gray’s health is good
Who is their kids last year ? Sps and Marshall ,
Both will be manage , Sps drop off after having a good start , Marshall a developing tall that will take time just look at Tab and Apeness . All this kids need to be manage , Port are going after Top 4 and not rebuild . Their 3rd and 4th rd pick this year are not going to complain playing Snafl with Trengove, McKenzie .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have those coming in got more than 1 year contracts? Maybe there just tying over and exit most next year in readiness for the SUPER draft:cool:
DFA can sign one year contract if I am not mistaken , but looking at their retirement ,delisting and trade they got nothing to worry about .

I look port out and in ,I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing as they are not rebuilding like Freo .

Brendon Ah Chee (trd) -( Jack trengove)
Logan Austin (trd)
Brett Eddy (del)
Jarman Impey (trd) - ( Motlop )
Nathan Krakouer (ret) - ( maybe Thomas)
Matthew Lobbe (trd) - ( Watts)
Angus Monfries (ret)
Jesse Palmer (del)
Jackson Trengove (FA)- ( McKenzie)
Matthew White (del)
Aaron Young (trd) - ( Rockliff )

They are committed to a flag. They will have a big rebuild once they hit the other side.

Colin BASKET CASE Sylvia was the straw that broke the Camels back. Midway through 2015 when we came to a settlement agreement that he be gone ASAP there was a presser with Lyon about this and he said that they had made too many mistakes and there had been an internal review and change in recruitment strategy. I think for BASKET CASE the writing was on the wall in the pre-season in the lead up to the 2014 AFL draft. They had just come off a trade period of no activity continually repeating that they would only go for quality with trades.

I think since 2014 things have changed and improved. Although you could have challenged this with the recruitment of Shane Yarran. It was a very late pick but somehow we missed the glassing incident which he managed to keep under wraps.

Since 2014 there has been decent ND picks:
2014: Weller, Blakely, Langdon, Hughes
2015: Tucker, Balic, Collins, Nhyhuis
2016: Logue, Darcy, Cox, Ryan, Duman

Only of the above was Collins delisted but I suspect that was give him opportunities elsewhere and not part of our long term plans due to depth in his position.
Speaking of Collins. Saw he posted an Insta of a Geelong beach. Just saying

I look at port out and in ,I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing as they are not rebuilding like Freo .

Logan Austin (trd)
Brett Eddy (del)
Angus Monfries (ret)
Jesse Palmer (del)
Matthew White (del)

Exactly right. They've got spots to fill and they're filling them. They'd be mad to fill them all with 18yos in the draft.

I look at port out and in ,I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing as they are not rebuilding like Freo .

Logan Austin (trd)
Brett Eddy (del)
Angus Monfries (ret)
Jesse Palmer (del)
Matthew White (del)
Could Brett Eddy be a rookie option for us? Maybe a bit old but he deserved more chances

Only 193cm but his SANFL output is far greater than Tabs

Way too old, couldn't perform at afl level, firm no from me
Kicked 4 against Hawthorn in pre season then had two against us and 1 on Adelaide, not a huge sample, 68 and 53 state goals last two years, I don't think we have anyone capable of similar totals

Kicked 4 against Hawthorn in pre season then had two against us and 1 on Adelaide, not a huge sample, 68 and 53 state goals last two years, I don't think we have anyone capable of similar totals
If he isn't going to win a premiership with port then he definitely won't win one with us. Turning 29 next year puts him older than the very upper limit of our next challenging group (Stephen Hill).

The short term potential benefit of playing him would worsen later draft positions and slow the development our young players. He's a SANFL dominator but his ability just didn't translate.

Cam kicked 6 in a preseason game. They are largely irrelevant. I could have kicked a couple playing for Port in that game against us.

If he was 21 I would agree but at 29 he has peaked and could easily start declining within the next year or two. Even if his SANFL numbers were AFL numbers you would still think twice just because of his age.

Also he is 193cm and we have blokes that size coming out of our ears.

Cam kicked 6 in a preseason game. They are largely irrelevant. I could have kicked a couple playing for Port in that game against us.

If he was 21 I would agree but at 29 he has peaked and could easily start declining within the next year or two. Even if his SANFL numbers were AFL numbers you would still think twice just because of his age.

Also he is 193cm and we have blokes that size coming out of our ears.
Yeah, the age thing sucks, but he'd be cheaper than Kersten (who I don't see improving @25 either) and I don't think Kersten is capable of the same output

Both should ideally be depth players, it's a pity Eddy isn't 3 or so years younger - probably wouldn't have been delisted in that case however

Yeah, the age thing sucks, but he'd be cheaper than Kersten (who I don't see improving @25 either) and I don't think Kersten is capable of the same output

Both should ideally be depth players, it's a pity Eddy isn't 3 or so years younger - probably wouldn't have been delisted in that case however
At the end of the day, if he couldn't even get onto Port's main list then he is just not up to it. They couldn't have been more obvious in their assessment of their list and if they don't think he is worth holding onto for a year or two then I can't see how it would matter if he was younger TBH. Some blokes are just too good for the level below but not good enough for AFL. I think he is one of those.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

Back