Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest impact on our scoring next year will come from the midfield performance including rebound from defense.
There is plenty of truth in your comment, but the way we enter the forward 50 and our almost complete lack of tactics inside 50 also contributes a lot to our scoring woes.

Wilson is far better than Crozier.

Doubt that we can offer Crozier to GWS and expect any type of deal to work. Crozier would want to go back to Vic
That wasn't what I was intending, on our list perspective one out, one in with other things leaving results in Crozier + X = Wilson.

Similar to Mayne out, Hill in last year.

Thoughts on the prospect of turning Crozier into Wilson?
How much do we need to tip in to make that happen?
What improvement could we expect from Wilson over Crozier at half back and would Crozier + (something) = Wilson represent value?

Find the value of X in:
Crozier + X = Wilson

I think GWS will want higher picks unless they have academy pick which I don't think they do this year.

So Pick 40 for Crozier plus Pick 45 may equal pick 23 but I don't think GWS would take that deal (40 + 45 for Wilson).

I think with Crozier you just try to get back into the 2nd half of the 2nd round and take that pick.

That wasn't what I was intending, on our list perspective one out, one in with other things leaving results in Crozier + X = Wilson.

Similar to Mayne out, Hill in last year.
I can't see any team in the second round this year that would want Crozier + our 3rd rounder or the (likely) third rounder we get for Croz + our third rounder for a second. Unfortunately it looks like 2018 second for Wilson and we'll have to trade back into 2018 second round next year.

I can't see any team in the second round this year that would want Crozier + our 3rd rounder or the (likely) third rounder we get for Croz + our third rounder for a second. Unfortunately it looks like 2018 second for Wilson and we'll have to trade back into 2018 second round next year.
That's our specialty.

Bet you the next time we don't trade our future 2nd we will rise up the ladder.

Fyfe, Neale, Blakely can all play as an inside mid. Weller and Tucker are not bad at winning there own ball. It is not something we badly need.

We are absolutely crying out for a good small forward.
I think that's why we are linked to Matera.
An upgrade on Ballantyne for sure

Matera is a medium forward who provides average defensive pressure. I think we need 1 or 2 more classy players in there who can provide excellent defensive pressure.

I really want us to look for the next Daniel Rioli.
How is Matera a medium forward... he is only 1cm taller than Balla's.

Balla:
174cm
77kg

Matera:
175cm
77kg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs into Crozier...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-06/dogs-confirm-interest-in-outofcontract-docker-hayden-crozier

Dogs flag interest in out-of-contract Docker
"I've had some chats with Brad Lloyd about (recruiting Crozier)," McCartney said.

"We do have some interest in Hayden, he's been in the system six years but he's a young player, turns 24 at the end of the year and he's a player that was rated highly by our recruiting team back in the 2011 draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-06/dogs-confirm-interest-in-outofcontract-docker-hayden-crozier

I don't think I'd want to lose Crozier or Sheridan to be honest. But needs must I suppose if we're to get Wilson and Matera....and Hogan....(the last ones for you Deathly )

- cue the "we're NOT getting Hogan" rants

Matera is a medium forward who provides average defensive pressure. I think we need 1 or 2 more classy players in there who can provide excellent defensive pressure.

I really want us to look for the next Daniel Rioli.
You could play Lachie Weller forward, or Ethan Hughes - both have high burst speed.

Fyfe, Neale, Blakely can all play as an inside mid. Weller and Tucker are not bad at winning there own ball. It is not something we badly need.

tbh i was pretty surprised when i saw the poll. We have Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Blakely who can all play inside. We even have Suban who isn't a bad inside mid (shame he is dogshit at everything else). I also feel like Ross knows how to build good inside midfielders.

What absolutely killed us last year was 1) conversion rate on i50 and 2) rebounding from D50. Inside mids don't fix that.

Brady Grey into that small (ish) forward role. Tackling beast, big leap, can mark, can kick a good goal. You know it makes sense.
He will only be like castagna or butler, what Freo need is to draft somebody like Walters or Rioli .

You could play Lachie Weller forward, or Ethan Hughes - both have high burst speed.

I just can't see Hughes as a forward tbh. Besides Wilson is coming in to basically play the role Weller plays. If Wilson wasn't a long way above average I doubt we'd be bringing a HBF to the club tbh. Hughes is good in between size that can mark well above his head and is also mobile enough to keep up with most players. Can't see Hughes moving elsewhere next year - Weller on the other hand could play anywhere but a key position next year tbh.

Neither are natural forwards, but they would improve the mix and the pressure. I think we need to go to the draft and target a small forward who is highly skillful and can apply excellent forward pressure.
To be fair to Ethan Hughes I'm not convinced he has had enough exposure to playing forward of half back to be judged on his ability there. He is a power athlete that can mark well above his head, I would like to see how he plays as our full forward like Dangerfield does. Hughes is faster than him too and if he marks inside 30m then his kick at goal shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Matera does not apply great pressure. That is something I feel we are missing. Even if we get him, we need someone else.
Applying pressure is completely different to small or medium forward.

2015 Stats

Balla (per game)
K: 7.1
HB: 3.3
Goal: 1.1 (11 total)
Behinds 0.7 (7 total)
I50: 2.8

Matera
K: 11.6
HB: 5.3
Goal: 2.2 (22 total)
Behinds 1.2 (12 total)
I50: 2.5

Matera kicks slightly more goals, Ballantyne tackles slightly more
In the end, both are similar but Matera is 5 years younger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

Back