List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Contracted young players that a club wants to keep you have to pay overs. Freo don't care about the points value of our picks, they have no academy or father-son players to go for. Can't see it being done for a 2nd round pick no matter how many we offer up. And suns aren't going to trade the number 2 pick. Might have to get creative and trade up for a 1st round pick either this year or next year?!

Not necessarily,
Adam Saad. We got what his market value was.
You do deals in good faith its a win win.
They want Matera on the cheap. Seperately.
Well.. No.
Your player isnt interested in playing for your club anymore.
Do a reasonsble deal.

Pardon the intrusion. I guess the fact that we offered him a 4 year extension to his remaining 1 year contract indicates that he is very highly rated. Presuming that you'll get him next year (while acknowledging that that is what his manager said) is overlooking the fact that he doesn't want to be in Perth for the next 5 years. That doesn't mean we couldn't convince him, with perhaps a little more coin, to stay for a further 2 years rather than 4. With the promise that we'll trade him to GC (if he still wants to go) in 3 years.

Having said that, I believe the trade will get done and it will end up being slightly in Freo's favour.

Plenty of crazy hypotheticals over our way, but hey - that's what club boards are for...

I've just posted this on our board - wondering your thoughts on it ?

In: Weller, 41
Out: 2018 future first round, 21

Costing you one first rounder and a pick downgrade.

Any takers ??

Personally I'm not interested in pick 2 this year, IMO LDU is the only standout among the top 4/5 and he'll likely go at 1.

The freo thread is hammering a demand for pick 2. Saying we won't get anyone as good as weller in the draft it's too much of a gamble.

If that's the case I'd rather we drop the weller chase. LDU, Raynor, Cerra, or Dow, would be much better.

I just don't understand how other fans value thier players so highly. It isn't hard to look at logic when assessing a players value.

My opinion weller is worth a mid 1st round pick between 8-12. So points is 1550-1250.
Matera is worth mid 3Rd. Equivalent of say 350. So picks to the value of 1200-900. Which is between 13-21.

If we get geelongs 19 as Part of ablett deal. 19 + Matera is equal to pick 11.
If not 21 + Matera = pick 13.
Or picks 24,37 plus Matera is equal to pick 8.

Anymore than that is ridiculously overs and we should focus on other's.

Agree with you on most things, but I'd point you in the direction of Shane Kersten who came home for 60 odd...that's about where Matera sits

Plenty of crazy hypotheticals over our way, but hey - that's what club boards are for...

Any takers ??

Personally I'm not interested in pick 2 this year, IMO LDU is the only standout among the top 4/5 and he'll likely go at 1.

I highly doubt we will be offering a future first rounder for anyone, considering it is still feasible to believe it will be top 4 in a great draft.

But I will say, thanks to the Dockers supporters who have been a lot more courteous and conversation worthy then the Geelong supporters, who then whinge when they get bans/infractions for being stains. You're always welcome my little purple friends :rainbow::rainbow:

Any takers ??

you only want freo to get its paws on our future first because it's likely going to be a top 3 IMO.

I don't think any clubs have traded future firsts this year?? We'd be very stupid to

you only want freo to get its paws on our future first because it's likely going to be a top 3 IMO.

I don't think any clubs have traded future firsts this year?? We'd be very stupid to

Damm, was it that obvious ;)
In part, it's due to the disparity between Wellers value (pick 6-12) and GC's first round this year mixed with FFC's reluctance to let go of pick 5.
As much as the points equivalent of your two early 20's picks stacks up in replacement of a round one pick I don't think freo, nor would I, take the two in the 20's.

It may well end up a swap of firsts this year or a future 2nd + 2nd rd pick downgrade this year (possibly with Matera knives)

Weller and 42

For

21 + 37 + Matera

Or if Ablett brings 19

Then 19 + matera is about right I reckon

Decent return for freo

Pick 2 and future first off limits. If above can't get it done then keep the dialogue open with Blucher and get it done in 12 months.

Re: swallow

personally I'd be going after Miles as a higher priority, offer him 2 years @ 350k ( average AFL salary) and Richmond pick 39 slightly overs but that's what's needed to get it done

Young probably about similar so maybe 2 only.

Any takers ??

If we were in the position someone like Essendon was where our first round next year would likely be significantly worse than this year then I would agree, but I can't see us throwing in a first round pick for Weller, unless that was a pick we got from upgrading our second rounders in which case it would likely be around pick 15. Under your scenario we would essentially be trading a top 4 pick and 21 for Weller and 41.
He may not have dropped significantly in value since he was drafted, but by the same token he definitely hasn't raised himself to to point of demanding a top 10 pick either

I feel as though Geelong will get involved with the Ablett deal and potentially GWS as well with the Wilson deal.
Could go something like:
Geelong IN: Gary Ablett
GWS IN: Pick 20
GC IN: Lachie Weller
Fremantle IN: Brandon Matera + Nathan Wilson + pick 35

Geelong OUT: Pick 20
GWS OUT: Nathan Wilson
GC OUT: Gary Ablett + Brandon Matera + pick 35
Fremantle OUT: Lachie Weller

Weller and 42

For

21 + 37 + Matera

Or if Ablett brings 19

Decent return for freo

Pick 2 and future first off limits. If above can't get it done then keep the dialogue open with Blucher and get it done in 12 months.

personally I'd be going after Miles as a higher priority, offer him 2 years @ 350k ( average AFL salary) and Richmond pick 39 slightly overs but that's what's needed to get it done

The thing with this is matera is virtually worth nothing. I dont say that to aggravate anyone on this board but hes 25 and played 10 games this year and has reported behavioural issues. So in my eyes i see him as a 50-60. Then pick 19 is 6 spots lower than what he was drafted at and i think its abit tough to say wellers value has dropped or stagnated since being drafted. I personally see his value as top 10 but its going to be difficult to find the middle ground.

Damm, was it that obvious ;)
In part, it's due to the disparity between Wellers value (pick 6-12) and GC's first round this year mixed with FFC's reluctance to let go of pick 5.
As much as the points equivalent of your two early 20's picks stacks up in replacement of a round one pick I don't think freo, nor would I, take the two in the 20's.

It may well end up a swap of firsts this year or a future 2nd + 2nd rd pick downgrade this year (possibly with Matera knives)
Freo aren’t stupid they know it’s highly likely other WA boys will want to return home from the suns in the future. Playing hardball after the good relationship that has been built would be like shooting yourselves in the foot and I dare say a little hypocritical considering the contracted players you have acquired in the same circumstances.

We all want the best deal for our clubs and it’s good fun to listen to banter, I will be watching this one with great interest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing with this is matera is virtually worth nothing. I dont say that to aggravate anyone on this board but hes 25 and played 10 games this year and has reported behavioural issues. So in my eyes i see him as a 50-60. Then pick 19 is 6 spots lower than what he was drafted at and i think its abit tough to say wellers value has dropped or stagnated since being drafted. I personally see his value as top 10 but its going to be difficult to find the middle ground.
This post is big footy all over

YOUR player is worth nothing, but we want him but only for pick 107 and OUR player is worth 10 first round picks. We all do it and somehow think we will convince people is right, no offence Lachy96 i am only using your post as an example

Weller and 42

For

21 + 37 + Matera

Or if Ablett brings 19

Decent return for freo

LOL. Decent return is not what we are after here. If you want one of our best young players, who was a 1st round draft pick and has had 4 years of quality development. If you want to offer them $4mil over 5 years. If that player is coming into his prime and he is still contracted you need to pay overs. Pick 2 is about fair. 2 mid to late 1st round picks is fair. Perhaps 19 and one of Brodie/2M Peter would be fair. 2 2nd rounders are not going to cut it. Matera is steak knives at best. He can to us for free in the PSD. If we even want something.

This post is big footy all over

YOUR player is worth nothing, but we want him but only for pick 107 and OUR player is worth 10 first round picks. We all do it and somehow think we will convince people is right, no offence Lachy96 i am only using your post as an example
Yeh but then you have gone an labelled weller as a priority. Both clubs know his worth, theyll work it out. If jack martin wanted out and we offered pick 15 for example youd say thats not enough because u paid more than 15 for him. With weller hes almost 50 games played all 22 this year and has great potential to be a great player. Weve put time into him and he will start to play his best footy.

LOL. Decent return is not what we are after here. If you want one of our best young players, who was a 1st round draft pick and has had 4 years of quality development. If you want to offer them $4mil over 5 years. If that player is coming into his prime and he is still contracted you need to pay overs. Pick 2 is about fair. 2 mid to late 1st round picks is fair. Perhaps 19 and one of Brodie/2M Peter would be fair. 2 2nd rounders are not going to cut it. Matera is steak knives at best. He can to us for free in the PSD. If we even want something.

You’re either trolling or drunk my friend, the Suns board is always open for op supporters to have their 2 cents but The deal you state is Fyfe type prices not Weller. He hasn’t done anything to warrant the price your asking. If you are somehow serious you may want to get ready to burn down Freo HQ as you’re going to be sadly disappointed.

BTW The $ you mentioned are from 1 journo and what was his source “I believe” come on mate, that’s click bait

Last edited:
Freo aren’t stupid they know it’s highly likely other WA boys will want to return home from the suns in the future. Playing hardball after the good relationship that has been built would be like shooting yourselves in the foot and I dare say a little hypocritical considering the contracted players you have acquired in the same circumstances.

We all want the best deal for our clubs and it’s good fun to listen to banter, I will be watching this one with great interest
I do agree with this. Would be stupid of both clubs to ruin a good faith relationship we have had going for the past few years. I think in the past we have struck fair deals, hopefully that can continue.

I do agree with this. Would be stupid of both clubs to ruin a good faith relationship we have had going for the past few years. I think in the past we have struck fair deals, hopefully that can continue.
I am sure the clubs will work something out that we will all find a little hard to swallow which means it’s aboit right.

As an example Saad for Essendons future 2nd rounder is hard to take but not completely ridiculous so it’s probably about right

I highly doubt we will be offering a future first rounder for anyone, considering it is still feasible to believe it will be top 4 in a great draft.

But I will say, thanks to the Dockers supporters who have been a lot more courteous and conversation worthy then the Geelong supporters, who then whinge when they get bans/infractions for being stains. You're always welcome my little purple friends :rainbow::rainbow:

I'm working up to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeh but then you have gone an labelled weller as a priority. Both clubs know his worth, theyll work it out. If jack martin wanted out and we offered pick 15 for example youd say thats not enough because u paid more than 15 for him. With weller hes almost 50 games played all 22 this year and has great potential to be a great player. Weve put time into him and he will start to play his best footy.
I hear your pain, On the bright side at least you guy benefit from the go home factor, we are always the ones waving goodbye

Agree somewhat in that Lachie is a contracted player and Freo has the right to ask whatever they feel is fair. He certainly has talent and being a 1st round pick in 2014, and not playing AFL til Rd18 2015, with 3 yrs development under his belt, his talents certainly say that he's worth considering. However having played the full 22 games both last season and 2016, and not finishing in the top 10 at Freo both years, surely diminishes his value a little. So to my mind, pick #2 is no way fair but I fully understand Freo asking for it. The same way I see GC saying no way we'll pay that.
If there isn't any middle ground to be had, then I wish him all the best at Freo for 2018.

Lachy

There's no way Weller is a top 10. 11-15 is his value, virtually every non- freo person has it here. Top 10's are like gold and clubs view these as investing in stars (club b&fs, AA Eric) of the future. Weller will be a 200 gamer no problem but not an AA type IMO. I've been watching him since he was 15 as he had a couple of years at my local club here great young fellow and love to have him but not to sell the farm.

I agree Matera isn't worth much but got injured after showing good form early in the season. 25 years old. Worth a pick in the 40's.

So 19 (948 points) plus Matera value say pick 45 (347 points) total 1295 points values Weller at between picks 11 and 12.

Not that far off I reckon. Maybe some late pick swaps but that's about it.

Will be interesting to watch it play out in the next couple of days

Seems like the Suns are finally getting with the program and fighting fire with fire by utilising the 'go home factor'. Brisbane have been doing it for a few years now and finally the Suns seem to have scored big with Lachie Weller requesting a trade 'home'. I suppose Kurt Tippett may end up going home to the GC as well so it could be a double score in terms of locals wanting to go home. Both Tippett and Weller attended private school All Saints (probably the best school on the Gold Coast) so that would add a different flavour to the local contingent. Nick Riewoldt also attended All Saints FYI.

Unfortunately, this isn't really a strong recruitment policy going forward because there isn't much high end Queensland talent entering the AFL without being drafted to the Suns or Lions. But that's fine. I'm sure the Suns will be fine with getting Bailey Scott and Caleb Graham next year.

Could do something really risky (just a wild idea):

GC: 2018 1st round pick, Brandon Matera, pick 37

For

FRE: Lachie Weller, 2018 first round pick

Both teams bet against each others fortunes Bit ridiculous and unrealistic but you get the idea.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back