List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Dockers clear on Weller price

Fremantle is holding firm on its demand for pick No.2 in any deal for Lachie Weller and will keep the 21-year-old to his contract if Gold Coast won't part with its prized selection.

Weller's request for a move to the Suns was the surprise of the Trade Period on Monday, catching Fremantle by surprise at a time when it was attempting to re-contract the half-back for four years beyond his 2018 deal.

The Suns have given Weller and his management a guarantee that a trade will be done, and there is confidence on that side of the fence that Weller will be a Gold Coast player in 2018.

For that to be achieved, pick No.2 will need to be put on the table with the Dockers unrelenting in their position less than two days out from Thursday's 2pm AEDT deadline.

It is understood the Dockers wouldn't contemplate a later first-round pick for Weller, and they assign no value to a swap of picks No.2 and No.5.

Why the Dockers' position is reasonable

• Weller is rated as Freo's best kick, and among the quickest and strongest players at the club. The Dockers had planned to unleash him in the midfield in 2018.
  • His three years of development into a reliable half-back in his third year should be factored into the deal.
  • The Dockers believe Weller would be a professional if held to the final year of his contract, and a trade would be done in 12 months.
Gold Coast finds itself in a rare position of having a quality young player requesting to join their club, and he would match-up well against any of the top five prospects in this year's draft.

It is up to the Suns to force Fremantle's hand, and the only way to do that is to trade pick No.2.

Nathan Schmook - is he the Freo media manager moonlighting on AFL.com

It's absolutely not he wants to come back to GC big time. No way will he resign with Fremantle.
don't mean this to be rude, but - show me one instance of him saying this somewhere?

player X's manager goes to the media during their players contract negotiations saying how badly the player wants to 'go home'.
I wonder what would make him stay?

don't mean this to be rude, but - show me one instance of him saying this somewhere?

player X's manager goes to the media during their players contract negotiations saying how badly the player wants to 'go home'.
His manager on trade radio said:
- Was offered a 4 year deal, made him realise he didn't want to commit to Perth for another 5 years
- GF's family is from GC. His parents are moving back
- He went to school on the GC, all of his friends are on the GC
- As soon as the season finished him and his GF were on the first flight back. Only time they returned was for the B&F

Doesn't sound at all like an i'mproving his contract' situation at all to me

You could be right about this, but I just don't think so. I know it's a managers job to tell everyone what they wanna hear to boost up the contracts etc, but he (bleucher?) really sounded genuine on trade radio the other day. Like really really genuine, especially with saying its this year or next!

In saying that, I Don't think I have heard of any players better then B grade quality wanting to come to the SUNS. Especially citing 'go home factor' as an excuse. So could be just my mind playing tricks on me.

Ablett to give up six-figure sum to help trade to Geelong

Gary Ablett has put his hand into his own pocket, forgoing a six-figure sum of money due to him from the Gold Coast in order to accommodate the Suns and his own wish to end his playing career with Geelong.

In a bid to push through a complex deal with the Cats, Ablett and his manager Liam Pickering told Gold Coast bosses several weeks ago that the champion player would ensure the Suns be repaid the estimated $300,000 from his front-ended contract.

The Ablett camp indicated that because the dual Brownlow medallist was walking out on the final year of that contract, the money due to the Suns would be repaid even if it meant Ablett waiving a big chunk of his Geelong wage next season. The prevailing view is that the Cats and Ablett will together compensate the Suns.

Put simply, were Darcy Lang, for example, to agree to be traded to the Gold Coast, Ablett would take a significant pay cut next season for that money to be forwarded to Lang.

Even before the death late last week of Ablett's elder sister Natasha, Pickering had made it clear to Geelong and Gold Coast that the player was prepared to relinquish a significant amount of money to ensure his return to Simonds Stadium. Gold Coast asked the question of the Ablett camp at the end of September.

While the Cats have struggled to identify a player prepared to move to the Gold Coast to effect a trade and help solve the financial repayment, Lang remains in the mix. The Suns' new coach Stuart Dew spoke with the 21-year-old from Colac on Tuesday in a meeting that buoyed the club's hope of an Ablett deal.

Ablett was also contracted to the AFL for next season as an ambassador at the expansion club. He has also indicated to the Cats he is prepared to relinquish that wage if Geelong cannot compensate it. This would ensure the AFL could potentially target another Gold Coast player using the money earmarked for Ablett.

Last month AFL chief Gillon McLachlan indicated the league would be prepared to help fund co-captain Tom Lynch in a bid to retain him at the struggling Suns. The AFL has also come under scrutiny for awarding the Cats an unusually high compensation pick (19) for Steven Motlop. Ultimately the Gold Coast would accept that pick for Ablett if a trade cannot be achieved.

Although both Geelong and Gold Coast have insisted the Abletts' recent family tragedy would not impact upon negotiations, the sad circumstances that have befallen the 33-year-old now mean that both parties will ensure his return to Geelong.

The complexities behind the deal include the fact of Ablett's heavily front-ended contract with the Suns, worth about $2.5 million over three years, which led to Ablett earning about $2 million of that amount over 2016 and 2017. Added to that was his ambassadorial wage paid by the AFL, which Geelong was not prepared to cover in 2018.

While all parties are now clear that Ablett is prepared to take a major financial hit to return home, Gold Coast are still striving to achieve a deal that involves a player – a deal that would have Geelong contributing about $300,000 of that player's wage over the coming seasons, with a big part of that money contributed by Ablett.

His manager on trade radio said:
- Was offered a 4 year deal, made him realise he didn't want to commit to Perth for another 5 years
- GF's family is from GC. His parents are moving back
- He went to school on the GC, all of his friends are on the GC
- As soon as the season finished him and his GF were on the first flight back. Only time they returned was for the B&F

Doesn't sound at all like an i'mproving his contract' situation at all to me
I hear you. a list of reasons player X didn't want to stay at the same club is exactly how you'd seek more money - to compensate against those reasons.

You could be right about this, but I just don't think so. I know it's a managers job to tell everyone what they wanna hear to boost up the contracts etc, but he (bleucher?) really sounded genuine on trade radio the other day. Like really really genuine, especially with saying its this year or next!

In saying that, I Don't think I have heard of any players better then B grade quality wanting to come to the SUNS. Especially citing 'go home factor' as an excuse. So could be just my mind playing tricks on me.
he sounds like a really good manager.
I really hope I'm wrong, but how many times have we been burnt liked this in the past (not to this extent, but same principle).
I trust you as much as anyone though so if you think we're a show - then we probably are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear you. a list of reasons player X didn't want to stay at the same club is exactly how you'd seek more money - to compensate against those reasons.

he sounds like a really good manager.
I really hope I'm wrong, but how many times have we been burnt liked this in the past (not to this extent, but same principle).
I trust you as much as anyone though so if you think we're a show - then we probably are.

Absolutely zero inside knowledge, just a gut feel. I hope it gets sorted in the next 40 hours though, because it will be a long 8800 hours waiting til the end of next trade period if it is not done. I think he is on the verge of a break out

With the weller deal.
Are gws expecting Any academy players? Could package 2/3 2nd rounders for pick 11.
Even target Brisbane's 12 or 18.
I'm happy to give up even 3 2nd round selections to get weller but would not accept the club giving up pick 2.

Absolutely zero inside knowledge, just a gut feel. I hope it gets sorted in the next 40 hours though, because it will be a long 8800 hours waiting til the end of next trade period if it is not done. I think he is on the verge of a break out

Apparently Freo wanted to sink him in the middle this year as they thought he had done his time on the skirts.

Imagine the headlines if it were true though.
Makes me sick thinking about it, but imagine...

“Manager wins Oscar”
“Manager dupes AFL and their golden child”
“Player and Manager sucker punch 2 clubs with one foul swoop”

Next season players would be required to rock up to final meetings and Etihad stadium in lie detectors.

Can I just say, Nernest , you must be the record holder for most deleted posts in their first month of bigfooty ever! You seem to delete more posts then you keep haha!

And as a mod, I get to see what they see after you delete them ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back