List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

That goose on trade radio (former Freo player "schnooky" whoever that is) is going hard for pick 2.
That is frankly ludicrous.
Just tell Weller he's got to spend another 7 months in Freo (not the worst thing ever) and you'll have him in the following with this year's no 2 AND next year's number one (sorry you guys are a monty for it) - and the following 5 years should be pretty awesome.

Sell that plan to Lynch today, or trade him to the Pies now for Sidebum and a 2018 top 5 pick, (that the Pies agree to get from somewhere)

Forgive intrusion - our trade week is boring as.
Goodluck
Thanks for the input, but I don't see the Suns as a shoe in for last place, also no way will Lynch be traded and defs not this year. Also the Suns will want to get Weller now

Everyone needs to step back and understand where Lachie Weller stands in the AFL landscape

Tom Mitchell - A grade / now Elite - went for pick 12 last year
Hibberd - maybe B / possibly now A grade for 25
Brad Hill - B grade when traded and won B&F for something in the 20s
Harley Bennell - A grade with issues for something in total around pick 20
Prestia - for an A/B grade inside mid for pick 6
Lever - A grade key back for effectively 2 x 1sts in the teens
Caddy - B grader for pick in the 20s
O'Meara - Elite but with injury issues - pick 10 + 23
Saad - B grade - pick in the late 20s

Weller to my mind is a B grade player who could get to an A grade but as an outside player which is not as highly valued as an inside mid or key position

I think the max you can afford to go is 2 x early 2nd rd picks + Matera. If that is not enough to get the deal done at least it shows to Weller that we were serious and we make a play for him next year to come home.

I would be happy to lay a bet that LDU/Dow or Rayner are going to be much better than Weller so no deal with #2 unless we are looking at going backwards.

On that list (prior to Hibberd's form). I would have Weller on par with Prestia and Mitchell but behind Lever.

More posturing by Freo

If they aren't budging on 2 I'd consider trading next years first in the hope that things do turn around a bit and we move up the ladder. Even if next year is a strong draft, that 2018 draftee won't be coming on till around 2020 whereas lachie can help out straight away and for the next 10 years. Then bundle up a few 2nds for a mid to late first next year (supposed to be a deep draft anyway).

If they aren't budging on 2 I'd consider trading next years first in the hope that things do turn around a bit and we move up the ladder. Even if next year is a strong draft, that 2018 draftee won't be coming on till around 2020 whereas lachie can help out straight away and for the next 10 years. Then bundle up a few 2nds for a mid to late first next year (supposed to be a deep draft anyway).
No chance that we trade next years first

That goose on trade radio (former Freo player "schnooky" whoever that is) is going hard for pick 2.
That is frankly ludicrous.
Just tell Weller he's got to spend another 7 months in Freo (not the worst thing ever) and you'll have him in the following with this year's no 2 AND next year's number one (sorry you guys are a monty for it) - and the following 5 years should be pretty awesome.

Sell that plan to Lynch today, or trade him to the Pies now for Sidebum and a 2018 top 5 pick, (that the Pies agree to get from somewhere)

Forgive intrusion - our trade week is boring as.
Goodluck
Yeah, he can always wait another year, its not going to kill him or us.

Wow, are you a Freo supporter in disguise?

Thanks for that, do you feel that Freo. management stamping their feet about a contracted player when you have brought in so many in the last few years seems a bit hypocritical? I am not trying to push your buttons I just don’t understand the logic
Yes and No. They have to do or seen to be doing the right thing by the club in getting the best possible scenario. Weller is very highly rated by the club thus the offer of the 4 year extension recently.

We had a homesick Balic return for pick 66, and we were never going to stand in the way of that. Like you guys we've had our Vic players return home at various stages, so we certainly have experienced what you have. So when we do have players nominating to come to us we try our best to make it happen like offering 2 first round picks for McCarthy which GWS knocked back, which I thought at the time was overs.

I still think we are in a good position, but I doubt that a deal cannot be struck.

Freo have a good relationship with GC, and we'd want to continue to do so.

Weller's manager didn't do you guys any favours by stating that GC have committed to getting him to you this week (can't remember the exact words)

I recon just give pick 2. It's not every day someone wants to go to the suns. Will he give as good a service to your club over the next ten years as the pick 2 ... yes. He's quality, just doooooo it
In the past 2 years, players that have requested a trade to the GC: Witts, Lyons, Hanley, Ah Chee, Barlow, Weller and potentially Young
Players that have requested a trade to Geelong in the same period: Zach Touhy, Gary Ablett and Aaron Black

Not to mention all of our draftees from last year signed on til 2020.

The facts really don't stack up at all to this argument but people seem thrilled to keep throwing it in to conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the input, but I don't see the Suns as a shoe in for last place, also no way will Lynch be traded and defs not this year. Also the Suns will want to get Weller now

Fair enough to back your (2nd/local) team. I would too.
I just think they'll not get a player for Ablett, but the pick 22 - and the midfield just won't match it with many others yet. Certainly a great looking bunch of prospects from last year, with no 2 this year - that's still a year off being really competitive. But the club is very well placed to completely reboot after the disasters of the decimated midfield due to injury robbing them of competing the last few years. It would be even better to pick up the number one next year.
I based comment on Lynch due to report he wanted to see the direction next year before committing. I'd tell him now, next year won't be pretty, but we have a plan and it should start paying big dividends the year after - and I reckon it will.

You cannot risk that plan by giving up no 2 for Weller when you can get him for an end of first in just one more season. All just my opinion of course. Fascinating cross roads for the club this year and next.

Step away from the keyboard slowly

We are more than likely to be rubbish next year - new coach, lack of home games and home base, etc...

Giving up our 1st rd pick and potentially Rankine (at 16 he is already better than Weller is today), Lukious (next Nick Riewolt) or Max King (best gun key forward prospect in last 3-4 years)

Weller:
"i'm just twiddling my thumbs hoping the deal gets done. If it's not this year, it's next year"
"if it doesn't happen now, I play out my contract and come back straight away"

Also, when they discussed the pick 2, Weller said "I know gold coast have a really good offer on the table and I can't see why they haven't taken it yet"

Even he thinks they're being unreasonable

Last edited:
darkwingduck - Surely after that interview you have changed your mind. He seems to want to get out of Freo more than Ablett wants out of the SUNS haha.

Reading all those tweets then was Gold
Very reassuring
He’s committed
Freo are being downright cynical and taking the piss with this #2 crap

Time to stare them down and if they don’t cave in just wait another 12 months

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back