List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Miles was slow by VFL standards when I watched that Grand Final.

Just hoping that Lions don't get pick 2 as compensation for Rockliff
Ive watched a bit of VFL over the year and I didnt think that was the case.

I think your big inside mids are never quick. Hes an accumulator which we need.
I think he would flourish and make our team better.

Miles was slow by VFL standards when I watched that Grand Final.

Just hoping that Lions don't get pick 2 as compensation for Rockliff
We are wanting to spend what a 2nd rounder?
You dont get big, fast, tough, mature mids with 2nd rounders. have so make some sacrifices, and all things considered for the price we'd be likely to pay i think Miles is a good get.

We are wanting to spend what a 2nd rounder?
You dont get big, fast, tough, mature mids with 2nd rounders. have so make some sacrifices, and all things considered for the price we'd be likely to pay i think Miles is a good get.

A 2nd rd pick for Miles? It would want to be the latest 2nd rd pick we have not any of the early ones

423286_110c528b5ecd3d022b31433541b3dd5a.jpg

this just got posted on geelong board. loos like may and swallow giving the pitch

Interesting on Motlop touring. A few years ago i was at a restaurant in Geelong and Motlop was there flirting with the waitress the whole time not sure if he was drunk or not but he seemed like a flog. This was the night before a game as well. Anyone that wants to come to us is great but on the fence on this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me he's a major downgrade on Matera
Fish has been forced into the midfield past 2-3 years because of our injuries- dare I say he was a fish out of water, but tried his guts out
Nice bloke, well liked
Who's making the decisions?
Ashcroft and Clayton?
Surely a new coach may see him as required?

Id take Motlop. Like it or not he would be in our best 22 and he might WANT to be here. An upgrade on current wingers Rosa who is getting a bit slow and old, and Sexton who is not best 22 imo.

For me he's a major downgrade on Matera
Fish has been forced into the midfield past 2-3 years because of our injuries- dare I say he was a fish out of water, but tried his guts out
Nice bloke, well liked
Who's making the decisions?
Ashcroft and Clayton?
Surely a new coach may see him as required?
Matera over Motlop?
Kidding me?

I'm a bit surprised that Gold coast are in for Motlop. No disrespect to you guys I had my doubts about getting him for Port but I know our conditioning guys are pretty much the best around and its something your club has been criticised for. After seeing the photo of him before the 2016 season you'd need to monitor him closely.
I think Gold Coast are only a handful of role players away from being a finals team and assuming that the guys you are picking up can develop good habits you should go well in 4-5 years. In my opinion where GC and GWS have gone wrong is recruiting the wrong types of senior players and at the wrong age. In my opinion a 25-26yo who has good habits is a better prospect than a Steve Johnson Heath Shaw Jared Brennan type who are at the end.
You guys need to recruit players that have big bodies, good attitude and good professional standards that some will call spuds because they may not be the best players. They protect your younger players from being thrown in the deep end and your young draftees only start playing when they are ready to play. Then as your draftees are 21-22 yo these role players are 29-30yo and ready to retire after 3-4 years.
If Gold Coast are moving 10 and you'll bring in another 5 young guys you should be looking for 5 x 25-26 year olds. Miles is one that's been mentioned and he is the type of guy you should be looking for despite me not knowing a whole lot about him. From my club I think Young and Lobbe would do a job for you. From the Crows Ellis Yoleman if his knee is OK would be a good get. Clay Smith from the Bulldogs as well would fit the bill but an injury risk as is Trengove from Melbourne.

I'm a bit surprised that Gold coast are in for Motlop. No disrespect to you guys I had my doubts about getting him for Port but I know our conditioning guys are pretty much the best around and its something your club has been criticised for. After seeing the photo of him before the 2016 season you'd need to monitor him closely.
I think Gold Coast are only a handful of role players away from being a finals team and assuming that the guys you are picking up can develop good habits you should go well in 4-5 years. In my opinion where GC and GWS have gone wrong is recruiting the wrong types of senior players and at the wrong age. In my opinion a 25-26yo who has good habits is a better prospect than a Steve Johnson Heath Shaw Jared Brennan type who are at the end.
You guys need to recruit players that have big bodies, good attitude and good professional standards that some will call spuds because they may not be the best players. They protect your younger players from being thrown in the deep end and your young draftees only start playing when they are ready to play. Then as your draftees are 21-22 yo these role players are 29-30yo and ready to retire after 3-4 years.
If Gold Coast are moving 10 and you'll bring in another 5 young guys you should be looking for 5 x 25-26 year olds. Miles is one that's been mentioned and he is the type of guy you should be looking for despite me not knowing a whole lot about him. From my club I think Young and Lobbe would do a job for you. From the Crows Ellis Yoleman if his knee is OK would be a good get. Clay Smith from the Bulldogs as well would fit the bill but an injury risk as is Trengove from Melbourne.
You can only recruit what is available, it’s not like the Suns were knocking guys back in 2011 ffs

The problem was when we started that 25-26 year olds that are good don't want to leave unless to pay them what we paid for Ablett. Guys like Brennan come because they know they won't find success at their current club. It's easy to sit back and say we should have got this player and that player but good luck convincing them to come to a new team where they have to be the focal point for atleast 5 years.

The problem was when we started that 25-26 year olds that are good don't want to leave unless to pay them what we paid for Ablett. Guys like Brennan come because they know they won't find success at their current club. It's easy to sit back and say we should have got this player and that player but good luck convincing them to come to a new team where they have to be the focal point for atleast 5 years.
Excuse me I'm a Port supporter you're no orphans, trying to get players to leave to go to Port is hard too and I'd bleed to have the talent that you guys have in your club. But there are guys who want more game time and while they are not always Top 22 players if you find the right ones you'll do well. You need to find more guys like Lyons. I believe last year you had the opportunity to get Brendan AhChee but passed on him. Just the type of guy you need to build depth. See you also put the proviso of getting 25-26yo that are good, you don't need good (you've already got very good)you need ROLE.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back