List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

He's 21... the only 21 year old to feature in our top 10 was Blakely and I wouldn't trade him for pick 1 if we're being honest.

That values him at less than Dangerfield was traded for tbh. He's not Dangerfield but he's in our best 2 young players. You want him whilst Contracted you're gonna have to pay overs. Losing 3 spots in a reasonably even draft and one of your many second round picks isn't too much to ask for tbh.

Oi Wet Biscuit, stop acting like a burnt ex-girlfriend, wake up and smell the coffee. Harley Bennell was drafted at pick 2 by us in 2010. You collected him from us for picks 16 and 35. You drafted LW at 13, still not top 10. Be realistic. The fact is Ross Lyons and Co worked Harley to hard in his come back and it ruined his year. Not our issue, if you buy eggs and drop them on the driveway you can’t blame the farm!

Last edited:

He's 21... the only 21 year old to feature in our top 10 was Blakely and I wouldn't trade him for pick 1 if we're being honest.

That values him at less than Dangerfield was traded for tbh. He's not Dangerfield but he's in our best 2 young players. You want him whilst Contracted you're gonna have to pay overs. Losing 3 spots in a reasonably even draft and one of your many second round picks isn't too much to ask for tbh.
So a move from pick 2 to pick five, plus an early second round, plus Matera is about right in your eyes?

As you pointed out he is contracted and you have the right to ask for what ever you like, clearly this will not happen as it is massive massive overs. So it looks like you get one more year of Lockie playing at Freo which is you’re right. I think however that will change the nature of our relationship moving forward but that is also your call

Im p#%$d off about it but I can see we will use pick 2 somehow in this trade as some have said maybe a downgrade of 2-5 plus a second or something. Hearing Clayton speak we have already committed to the bloke and have offered big money and a long contract for him to come home. I can’t see us caving and giving what they want if freo dig in about it.

The draft is pretty even but the top 4 are a pretty big step up from the next bunch so going from 2-5 is a big drop imo. I’d rather wait till next year to get him than sacrifice our whole draft position this year r

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im p#%$d off about it but I can see we will use pick 2 somehow in this trade as some have said maybe a downgrade of 2-5 plus a second or something. Hearing Clayton speak we have already committed to the bloke and have offered big money and a long contract for him to come home. I can’t see us not bowing down if freo dig in about it.

The draft is pretty even but the top 4 are a pretty big step up from the next bunch so going from 2-5 is a big drop imo. I’d rather wait till next year to get him than sacrifice our whole draft position this year r

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Do what they did to GWS with McCarthy, force them to keep a player that doesn't want to be there and will leave then next year anyway.

r*ped and pillaged? Which contracted player have you willingly taken big unders for?
Ablett is about the only contract we have had that has asked for a out obviously those negotiations ongoing due to the fact we have paid him in advance and Geelong have been unable to provide the best 22 player.

However there are plenty of examples of us letting people go for unders Harely, Smith, Dixon, Caddy to name a few.

Are you going to answer my question on how this is any different to the Wilson or McCarthy situations that Freo was pissed at GWS about?
We moved from 3 to 7 to secure McCarthy plus a pick in the 30's and 70's, we got overs for our pick 3 so GWS could bring in more elite talent (Taranto) instead of having 7 and having to use it to match a potential Setterfield bid. Wilson knocked up his girlfriend in July and has been very open with GWS and they are willing to trade him for something they deem fair. Weller on the other hand, has only just announced his intentions to leave in the last week and has possibly received a much better looking contract from the Suns. McCarthy sat out a year and wouldn't be on anymore than 400 k per year, he lost contract value as well as trade value when he decided to sit out the year. Weller won't do that imo and there's every chance he plays every game to maximise our compensation for when he leaves at the end of next year. We don't have to accept what we deem to be inadequate compensation just because you've lost a few trades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachy

There's no way Weller is a top 10. 11-15 is his value, virtually every non- freo person has it here. Top 10's are like gold and clubs view these as investing in stars (club b&fs, AA Eric) of the future. Weller will be a 200 gamer no problem but not an AA type IMO. I've been watching him since he was 15 as he had a couple of years at my local club here great young fellow and love to have him but not to sell the farm.

I agree Matera isn't worth much but got injured after showing good form early in the season. 25 years old. Worth a pick in the 40's.

So 19 (948 points) plus Matera value say pick 45 (347 points) total 1295 points values Weller at between picks 11 and 12.

Not that far off I reckon. Maybe some late pick swaps but that's about it.

Will be interesting to watch it play out in the next couple of days
i know it comes across as bias when i say top 10 pick, but I'm not the only one plenty of people on trade radio yesterday saying weller is easily a worth a top 10 pick from this draft (not sure how much that means) but thats outside speculation.

We moved from 3 to 7 to secure McCarthy plus a pick in the 30's and 70's, we got overs for our pick 3 so GWS could bring in more elite talent (Taranto) instead of having 7 and having to use it to match a potential Setterfield bid. Wilson knocked up his girlfriend in July and has been very open with GWS and they are willing to trade him for something they deem fair. Weller on the other hand, has only just announced his intentions to leave in the last week and has possibly received a much better looking contract from the Suns. McCarthy sat out a year and wouldn't be on anymore than 400 k per year, he lost contract value as well as trade value when he decided to sit out the year. Weller won't do that imo and there's every chance he plays every game to maximise our compensation for when he leaves at the end of next year. We don't have to accept what we deem to be inadequate compensation just because you've lost a few trades.
But how is it different? All them are contracted, all of them wanted to leave. Freo complained GWS asked for too much and were getting annoyed with it. Why should this situation be any different. You can't sit on your high horse asking for overs when you spent 3 years offering under for 2 contracted players who wanted to return home.

But how is it different? All them are contracted, all of them wanted to leave. Freo complained GWS asked for too much and were getting annoyed with it. Why should this situation be any different. You can't sit on your high horse asking for overs when you spent 3 years offering under for 2 contracted players who wanted to return home.
McCarthy sat out a year which lowered his value, Weller won't and GWS will be expecting fair value for Wilson and understand his circumstances. Not every trade has to be compared to another trade

McCarthy sat out a year which lowered his value, Weller won't and GWS will be expecting fair value for Wilson and understand his circumstances. Not every trade has to be compared to another trade

Yes it does. That’s how a judiciary system works. You have to have comparables otherwise your neighbors house is worth 10mil and yours is $550k. Imagine a world with no precursors. Your on another planet wet biscuit.
You can’t sit back and stuff your face with cake and have your way also.

Matthew Lloyd on Jake Stringer, Adam Saad, Ablett, Smith: "Clubs should trade players for compassionate reasons, it's about getting the player home"

Matthew Lloyd on Lachie Weller: "Freo needs to stick to their guns and get 2 1st round picks"

Can't wait to see him next year

This situation is very simple:
If we don’t like the behaviour of Freo then we get him in 12months.
In The meantime we develop Our pick 2 and Brodie, Bowes etc, build the new culture under Dew/Evans and bring in Weller for a shot at the 8 hopefully in 2019.
The contributions of the Freo supporters to this board have not endeared their club to me.
They’ve done well out of us and their hypocrisy in regards to past GWS deals stinks to high hell.

Matthew Lloyd on Jake Stringer, Adam Saad, Ablett, Smith: "Clubs should trade players for compassionate reasons, it's about getting the player home"

Matthew Lloyd on Lachie Weller: "Freo needs to stick to their guns and get 2 1st round picks"

Can't wait to see him next year
Its that Vicbias stuff isn't it, we want all the players down here but if they want to leave screw them.

Hearing out of the club we are likely to announce another best 22 mid who is seeking a trade. At this stage it seems like that Langs or Hartung are the front runners?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back