MRP / Trib. 2017 MRP/ Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of sheer curiosity I'm going to try and find out what occurred during the tribunal.

It will be interesting, I have made a formal request to the AFL for a transcript of the proceeding on the pretence of being an amateur journalist :p (I hold little hope of receiving this.)

I have also made a request to the Prime Minister's office for a full transcript of the PM's statement to the tribunal. (this I should receive as it is a public statement by the PM)

If I get any of this I'll post it somewhere.

I wouldn't be using this as an example of societies ills or any broarder conspiracy, it's just a ****ed tribunal decision .

TBH, although Houli will be back sooner than he should, I don't think this result will do him any favours going forward.

There's enough reactionary knuckleheads in this country he could end up getting the Adam Goodes treatment, which would be a disgrace .

Houli is a great member of the community and should be applauded for his various roles but this shit tribunal decision will follow him through no fault of his own.

Leave religion out of it thanks folks!
Agree, but the AFL tribunal should also have adopted that approach therefore not even needing to consider references from Aly & Turnbull.

This matter wasn't about whether Houli cops racial abuse (again, Islam is not a race), or if he is a fine upstanding citizen, it was totally about a violent act which instantly rendered the victim unconscious. The AFL tribunal totally dropped the ball on this one.

Out of sheer curiosity I'm going to try and find out what occurred during the tribunal.

It will be interesting, I have made a formal request to the AFL for a transcript of the proceeding on the pretence of being an amateur journalist :p (I hold little hope of receiving this.)

I have also made a request to the Prime Minister's office for a full transcript of the PM's statement to the tribunal. (this I should receive as it is a public statement by the PM)

If I get any of this I'll post it somewhere.

I just read on a twitter from a journo who was in there that Turnbull didn't make a direct reference they just used what he had already said about Houli this week after they met.

I just read on a twitter from a journo who was in there that Turnbull didn't make a direct reference they just used what he had already said about Houli this week after they met.

I'm actually relieved to hear that...the world hasn't gone completely batshit insane...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The references should have helped buttress his reputation against any attack on him following a reasonably heavy penalty, instead they will be used to make it seem as though he got preferential treatment.

This is an incredibly poor outcome for everyone.

Buttress?
Don't tell me Ita was a referee as well!!

I'm not as outraged. You all know my deep seeded hatred for everything Richmond, but there's no way Houli set out to knock Lamb out cold.
It was a lucky/unlucky/freak connection. Running away from someone, throwing your arm back against your own forward momentum and flushing a guy so perfectly that they're out before they hit the ground. Houli couldn't do that again if he tried 100 times.

He had to get suspended, I think by the way the game is adjudicated, it probably should've been 3 weeks. But there's no way he set out to do that much damage.

If this had happened to the star of the game and not a fringe 22 best player at Carlton Houli would have gotten 4-5 weeks. In all the matches I've seen Houli play he seems to be a clean player and I'm happy for that to be taken into account. 2-3 week discount seems incredibly generous to me. Disappointing to see some Carlton supporters bring his religion into the argument in a negative light regardless of what Houli has said or done, pull your ahead in.
It is his advocacy that went with "the religion of peace" defense. They actually brought religon into it.

I'm not as outraged. You all know my deep seeded hatred for everything Richmond, but there's no way Houli set out to knock Lamb out cold.
It was a lucky/unlucky/freak connection. Running away from someone, throwing your arm back against your own forward momentum and flushing a guy so perfectly that they're out before they hit the ground. Houli couldn't do that again if he tried 100 times.

He had to get suspended, I think by the way the game is adjudicated, it probably should've been 3 weeks. But there's no way he set out to do that much damage.

My thoughts exactly.

"I didn't mean to kill them I just wanted to hurt them a little ...." It's all about the end result Coach. The tribunal are a disgrace.

It's irrelevant that he didn't do it intentionally. The AFL has said time and again the mantra of their rules is to protect players from serious head injuries. Jack Ziebel's hit a few years ago, unintentional, head high, copped 4 weeks and his record was relatively clean.

The afl tribunal has allowed political and racial influences to bias the hearing. The majority of the public know this and it will lead to a massive backlash. Houli is now going to get booed (unfairly I might add) and another racism debacle will erupt. This is all on the AFL tribunal if this blows up

IIRC, Betts got a long suspension (5 weeks or so) for shepherding a bloke where he accidentally broke his jaw. Had a perfectly clean record, didn't save him.

Unlucky, freak connection, good bloke. Didn't help us then.

Really??? I thought I was about to be crucified...

Nah...the more I watch it the more I'm convinced it just looked like any other time someone swings there arm back to get someone to piss off...

That said (and as you stated), he hit him in a sweet spot, and poor old Jed was out before he hit the ground. Should have been three/four.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. 2017 MRP/ Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back