2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Going on from a previous post of mine in the non-Lions football discussion, there is this (which I completely agree with...although attracting decent players to the club is a whole other conversation):

Lions must break recycable cycle

My favourite bit in this article is where he compares us to GWS. Yep you nailed it Hammo.

Hamilton's article seems a bit inconsistent. Extending Fagan's contract before he's really done anything seems tantamount to overpaying underperformers; after all, that's what can happen when you assume someone's performance will reach levels it hasn't reached yet.

And arrogance, impatience and desperation seem like the sort of things that might drive a club to throw a lot of money at a big name recruit. I notice Brendan Fevola doesn't rate a mention. Lance Franklin does, but Sydney built premiership teams off recycled players and are now struggling to replicate that strategy with a multi-million dollar luxury full forward weighing down their salary cap.

Plus Stefan Martin and Mitch Robinson were battlers at other clubs who've become two of our most important players. Dayne Zorko wasn't even at their level when we recruited him as a 22 year old. Brent Moloney, held up as a bad recruiting choice, polled 19 Brownlow votes and won Melbourne's B&F 12 months before he joined us. Tom Bell wasn't battling in the reserves; he'd come off a very good season at the Blues.

Our recruiting hasn't been particularly good, but there's no one quick fix. Hamilton makes it sound easy, but we can't just write our way out.

Going on from a previous post of mine in the non-Lions football discussion, there is this (which I completely agree with...although attracting decent players to the club is a whole other conversation):

Lions must break recycable cycle
Yes, our situation is clearly comparable to that of GWS, the club that probably could've fielded a NEAFL team full of 1st round picks at one stage.
Good one Hammo.

Stories going around today about the money being thrown at Johannisen by West Coast. I really rate him (as said in the other thread) and think we should throw serious money at him.
Agree. We do have to pay 95% of the cap after all. I'd be happy taking the money that Bell, Lester, Bastinac, and Frost get and putting that towards Johannisen. Then just get some Neafl plodders who will play for drink cards to fill the extra spots.

One player I really like/rate is Ben Cunnington from Nth - 26 years old with 150 games under his belt. I wonder if Nth were interested in Schache (if he was to leave) or interested in an early draft pick - that they would trade?
Wonder whether Cunnington is the type of player will need to fast track our development?
They say that you need 8-10 players to play through the midfield (Adel have a dozen) and certainly if you add a Cunnington type to the mix (Bundy, Beams, Ricky, Robbo, Zorko) - it enables us to rotate quality through the midfield for 4 qtrs.

One player I really like/rate is Ben Cunnington from Nth - 26 years old with 150 games under his belt. I wonder if Nth were interested in Schache (if he was to leave) or interested in an early draft pick - that they would trade?
Wonder whether Cunnington is the type of player will need to fast track our development?
They say that you need 8-10 players to play through the midfield (Adel have a dozen) and certainly if you add a Cunnington type to the mix (Bundy, Beams, Ricky, Robbo, Zorko) - it enables us to rotate quality through the midfield for 4 qtrs.
I remember hearing in his draft interview that he grew up a North fan.
But haven't heard any links since.

I agree Cunnington is a wonderful player. Great hands in tight. Not quick over the ground but makes every touch count. BUT... is he not made in the same mould as Rocky? Not sure you could have two players that similar in the side unless you were prepared to play one deep forward. I'm guessing both would rather play in the middle.

A bit of chat about Paul Puopolo being available, I would be keen to see him up here for a few seasons as a small forward.

Involve a 3rd team, move on Martin for a draft pick in the late 30's and flick it over for Puopolo.

A bit of chat about Paul Puopolo being available, I would be keen to see him up here for a few seasons as a small forward.

Involve a 3rd team, move on Martin for a draft pick in the late 30's and flick it over for Puopolo.
I'd probably want more for Martin, but agree Puopolo could be a good fit for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Puopolo turns 30 later this year, so as long as his body is fine which it seems to be, he has played a minimum of 20 games per season since 2011. Fagan would be in the know whether or not he would be a good fit for us, would be a good bonus if he had leadership qualities up forward. Would only take him though if he came very cheap eg. Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis.

Puopolo would be a slight improvement to the teams performance over a very short period. Really defeats any purpose in picking him up.

We would be looking for a strong leader to set standards and for on field coaching. This isn't a Sam Mitchell to the Eagles or Stevie J to the Giants type situation.

Puopolo would be a slight improvement to the teams performance over a very short period. Really defeats any purpose in picking him up.

We would be looking for a strong leader to set standards and for on field coaching. This isn't a Sam Mitchell to the Eagles or Stevie J to the Giants type situation.

Think we're in a good position to recruit some older players for needs for the next couple of years salary cap wise and until the kids come on.

That's why I was surprised we didn't lure Dunn up last year, would have been very handy for a couple of years until Skinner came on and to relieve the pressure off Andrews. Shits all over Frost as a defender.

if we go the 30 year old players like to get ones who are on field leaders.
Not sure we want to get to many as they can be more likely to get injured.

What is Nick Riewoldt doing :) Saints not renewed him :)

After the first pick hearbreaks lately (Longer, Docherty, Aish, Schache pending and Cluggage next year), I am leaning towards what some of the other posters stated here earlier.

Put the first pick on table and port's pick even to get a combination of players who are best 22 in other sides and will improve our list - Parish, Hopper, Kennedy, Devon Smith, H.Himmelberg, Lukas Webb, Dunstan to name a few. Get that foundation back in place with 3-4 year deals for these players so we become competitive and our depth improves right away.

Get Ballenden and Jack Payne in draft, utilize the re-vamped list and look at winning games.

It may sound a bit extreme, but I feel we should just keep re-loading with promising players for our first pick until our list creates this new, much higher performance baseline. Drafting and retaining first picks will becomes easier once we have that competitive team at our disposal. Happy to forego first rounds for the next 2-3 years and keep going with this model (our trade targets ground work needs to happen during the year and it can't be the Jansens, Frosts and Walkers. Can't be speculative, should be clear first round worthy).

Last edited:

I don't see much benefit bringing in Poupolo when we have Barrett. One is 30 and towards the end of his career the other is 21 beginning his career. One has already achieved all he wants the other is hungry and wants to achieve the same, one was surrounded by champion players the other is surrounded by potential champion players. I know which I would be trying to develop. But one never knows with our club and it's recruitment policies.

Last edited:
while reiwoldt may not be available there is some chance Joey Montagna would be.

He has played as a half back flank most of the last 2-3 years. Has played in 3 grand finals, ~280 games. Unsure if he has any interest in a coaching career but personally I think he is probably today still a more effective player than Swallow, Burgoyne and Hodge and from my recollection doesn't have a bad injury history.

(note Hodge and Burgoyne still are very influential players but I think they are starting to get caught out a bit with loss of pace and tired bodies... Montagna doesn't have the same highs as those guys (even this season) but also his lows aren't as low).

Again have to think about this in trying to develop a winning culture and the play of our young guys. Would it be better having Mayes and Cutler gifted games as HBF because we have noone else, or earn a spot against a quality player and learn from him in training and matches? Also Montagna would this season have likely been replacing Bell/Bewick/Bastinac/Beams/Harwood in the team not a young kid anyway.

while reiwoldt may not be available there is some chance Joey Montagna would be.

He has played as a half back flank most of the last 2-3 years. Has played in 3 grand finals, ~280 games. Unsure if he has any interest in a coaching career but personally I think he is probably today still a more effective player than Swallow, Burgoyne and Hodge and from my recollection doesn't have a bad injury history.

(note Hodge and Burgoyne still are very influential players but I think they are starting to get caught out a bit with loss of pace and tired bodies... Montagna doesn't have the same highs as those guys (even this season) but also his lows aren't as low).

Again have to think about this in trying to develop a winning culture and the play of our young guys. Would it be better having Mayes and Cutler gifted games as HBF because we have noone else, or earn a spot against a quality player and learn from him in training and matches? Also Montagna would this season have likely been replacing Bell/Bewick/Bastinac/Beams/Harwood in the team not a young kid anyway.

I wouldn't say Mayes or Cutler have been gifted games. Definitely not this season.

We need to attack the off season. Would look at bringing in an elite youngster with a godfather deal while topping up with a mature recruit such as Puopolo. Take the rest to the draft. If we can't land an elite youngster just attack the draft hard... but we really do need some older heads in certain positions to help our younger players develop.

We need to attack the off season. Would look at bringing in an elite youngster with a godfather deal while topping up with a mature recruit such as Puopolo. Take the rest to the draft. If we can't land an elite youngster just attack the draft hard... but we really do need some older heads in certain positions to help our younger players develop.
Puopolo would certainly help with the defensive pressure in our forward 50. Which we are obviously struggling with. While others develop in that area, he would be a good stop gap.

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back