2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's who is available from Hawthorn- http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/to-hawthorn-hawks
I would throw money at Tim O'Brien, Billy Hartung, Taylor Duryea, Ryan Schoenmakers and / or Josh Gibson before Burgoyne. Don't get me wrong, Burgoyne is an absolute Rolls Royce, he is just too old a model.
Apart from Burgoyne on a 1 play + 2 year coaching contract I wouldn't want any of those 6 players listed. The other one would be Luke Hodge on a similar 1 + 2 year deal if he was interested in a coaching career post playing.

From other clubs that are FA/UFA for similar 1 + 2 deals- Kade Simpson, Tyson Goldsack, David Mundy, Andrew Mackie, Scott Thompson (north), Leigh Montagna, Jarrad McVeigh, Matt Priddis, Dale Morris, Matthew Boyd might be worth a look at. All very capable players and as a previous poster said would certainly offer more on and off the field than the likes of Bell, C.Beams, Bewick, Harwood , Bastinac have demonstrated over the last few years. Do not want fringe 22 players from any other club except for GWS because of the depth of their young talent.

Duryea is a solid player and fagan may see something in hart uni we don't have on our list re pace/run. But generally agree not many from Hawks worth a look.

Gibson is not what we need in defense. We want a gorilla to free up Andrews, not a player who is better as the floating defender himself (and who has been poor since mid last year)

Look, we could all throw out names of players we'd like to see at the Lions and 99.999999999999% of them would politely decline through their management, even if we were throwing overs at them.

Funnily enough, some of the unrestricted free agents that could really help us all play at Port.

Justin Westhoff could just be that player to help Andrews in defence or Hipwood in attack, providing a mature body to take the number oppositions number one tall at either end of the ground.

Jasper Pittard is the other, but is probably next to no chance to come to Brisbane. Would add another Geelong Falcon to the club. Apparently North have offered $3mil over 5 years for him.

At the end of the year, we're going to have to payout some contracts if we really really want to clean out our list, and promote a few of our rookies to the main list. We really will want Hammelmann, McInerney, William and Barrett all on our senior list next season.

So can anyone tell me, if we pay out a contracted player, does their contract still count against our salary cap?

Re age. Ideal for us would be 24/25 ... Beams /rocky/Zorko/rich/Robinson 27/28. Want to fill the void between those guys and the under 22 brigade.

It's why I'm pissed we weren't in a position to get Jarryd Lyons last season. Played 20 games for crows last year and averaging 25 disposals for Gold Coast this year.

Does paying out a contract happen in the AFL, I know you can trade out a contracted player and pay a portion of their contract as an enticement to the other club but paying out a contract to virtually force them into retirement?

Not sure if that is done except for a career ending injury ie. what happened with Justin Clarke's contract?

If you pay out a contract it has to count in the cap, but I think you can choose which season it sits in. Eg. If you pay someone out and delist them the payout could count in this years salary cap, or next years.

Jasper Pittard is the other, but is probably next to no chance to come to Brisbane. Would add another Geelong Falcon to the club. Apparently North have offered $3mil over 5 years for him.
Essendon are heavily into Pittard and will be making a big play for him at season's end.

Essendon are heavily into Pittard and will be making a big play for him at season's end.
I imagine a few Melbourne clubs will be in to him. Which is why I said he'd be next to no chance to come to Brisbane. Apparently the North offer I mentioned has been "confirmed" by Warren Tredrea.

I imagine a few Melbourne clubs will be in to him. Which is why I said he'd be next to no chance to come to Brisbane. Apparently the North offer I mentioned has been "confirmed" by Warren Tredrea.
It's also been disputed by rucci... they're both idiots so dunno who to trust there

Port have hartlett & lobbe on decent contracts outside the big earners like Ryder Dixon Gray, plus half the list off contract so won't be much cash there left for pittard. He's very gettable... But you're right not by us

Why is there such hatred for potatoes? Keyvo, Zo I am labelling both of you as Spudists. You bigotry is on par with Margaret's and you need a hard look at yourselves in the mirror.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Burgoyne may be 35. but you cannot tell me he will not improve our club - in whatever capacity he came here. Silk, resilience, flag winner at 2 clubs and loves the game.

Our best hope is another Roger Merritt. Altruistic. Make a move for the good of the game. IMO this is a line our recruiters should push re free agents. Give something back.

I'm all for bringing in a mature player of similar standing to Burgoyne but I think they need to be a bit younger than 35. We really want to bring in older guys who we think can have a really strong year in our team. At 35 I feel the risk of a guy battling to make the side is a real possibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is motlop still unsigned? I know he has a reputation for being a bit of a fair weather player but he is the type of player we need skill set wise; speed, skills, goal kicker.

There has been some noise ever since Christensen came up here that a Motlop move was a possibility?
Yeah still unsigned. Good player if he gets his attitude right

Yeah, not sure an older but known slacker would be a good player for a very young team to sign on what would probably have to be a substantial contract to get him to move.

Would prefer he got his attitude right before we signed him.

Not sure his attitude would change much either way, but he is a handy player, costs us nothing trade wise (most likely), and comes from a culture of success (Geelong).

Also like Trengrove from Port although I doubt he would leave especially to come to us. Would take a big, big offer for him to even consider it.

While we are talking about Port..... what about bringing Voss back as an assistant?

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back