2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cameron linked to WA now as well with family in Perth too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171012-171801.png
    Screenshot_20171012-171801.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 6
Mate reckons West Coast are all over some 18 year old otherwise unknown playing in the Pilbara league. Apparently they have been secretly flying him up an down for training and blocked him from playing WAFL. Big fast real nasty piece of works with a mullet half way down to his arse.

Last edited:
I completely disagree. Lamb hasn't been given a go, has been underperforming in the WAFL and has shown little interest out on the field. Plenty here have said his value is a 3rd. Ah Chee and Lam are in a similar position in terms of it being given a game, the only difference is that Ah Chee had actually been performing
So you're justifying what you think Ah Chee's is worth, by citing that a handful of posters believe Lamb would fetch a 3rd rounder?

Lamb really has absolutely nothing to do with what this club should be coughing up for Ah Chee.

I reiterate: how do we get more heavily into the draft and who has currency that we can trade to do it?

Theres gaff.......but who else? The rest of our trade options look rather slim. If we somehow end up with 2 picks in the top 25, i stand corrected. I just can't see how it happens.

We trade a 2018 2nd rounder for 2017 picks mid to late 2nd and 3rds.

Could you imagine if a 22 year old on our list dominated the wafl and came 2nd in the sand over. I'd hazzard a guess that we'd rate him far higher than a 4th round draft pick. Some rate Lamb a 3rd or 4th FFS
Recently Kane Mitchell was taken at pick 5 in the rookie draft following a Sandover win.

looking for the best remaining MIDFIELD option at our pick.
100% agree. About a million pages back I posted a list of a dozen non-KPP players who meet our needs. Assuming at least one tall is drafted in the top 12, we get to choose one of Rayner, LDU, Dow Cerra, Brayshaw, Stephenson, Higgins, Constable, Coffield, Clark, D Fogarty, O'Brien.

Ah Chee for our 4th with no other picks involved is a home run. It's generally a worthless pick and I'm hopeful Ah Chee will do something for us.

Previous pick 68 are:

2014: Josh Deluca (4 games - delisted)
2013: Karl Amon (36 games - still going!)
2012: Dean Terlich (35 games - delisted)
2011: Bean Maister (21 more games - delisted)
2010: Rookie promotion of Cameron Hitchcock (35 games - delisted)
2009: Passed pick. Pick 67 was Jerome Webberley (16 games)
2008: Tim Ruffles (5 games)
2007: Passed pick. Previous played picked was Guy O'Keefe (0 games)
2006: Passed pick. Pick 67 was Joe Anderson (17 games)
2005: Heath Neville (0 games)

I'd back Ah Chee to outplay all of those guys except maybe Amon. It might just be tinkering around the edges but it's a good way to get value out of a late pick.

Could you imagine if a 22 year old on our list dominated the wafl and came 2nd in the sand over. I'd hazzard a guess that we'd rate him far higher than a 4th round draft pick. Some rate Lamb a 3rd or 4th FFS
Pretty sure we picked up Priddis as a rookie, just sayin'.

Ah Chee for our 4th with no other picks involved is a home run. It's generally a worthless pick and I'm hopeful Ah Chee will do something for us.

Previous pick 68 are:

2014: Josh Deluca (4 games - delisted)
2013: Karl Amon (36 games - still going!)
2012: Dean Terlich (35 games - delisted)
2011: Bean Maister (21 more games - delisted)
2010: Rookie promotion of Cameron Hitchcock (35 games - delisted)
2009: Passed pick. Pick 67 was Jerome Webberley (16 games)
2008: Tim Ruffles (5 games)
2007: Passed pick. Previous played picked was Guy O'Keefe (0 games)
2006: Passed pick. Pick 67 was Joe Anderson (17 games)
2005: Heath Neville (0 games)

I'd back Ah Chee to outplay all of those guys except maybe Amon. It might just be tinkering around the edges but it's a good way to get value out of a late pick.
Bean Maister eh? Do they xall him Mr Bean?

Bean Maister eh? Do they xall him Mr Bean?

9f0c09ac5a9093124b42a94bdd13476c.jpg

We bothers me is that by our own admission the club says "we are going to the draft", yet we refuse to wheel and deal or trade hard for draft picks and subsequently as it stands at present we have a but single pick in the top 30 selections.

Compare that to both of this years grand finalists who both have 2 choices in the top 20 selections.

We talk a good game but dont do too much. If we are deadly serious about replenishing our list via drafting, we need to trade out some players with currency. The only player i can see that we could do that with would be Gaff.

Otherwise, short of drafting the next Patrick Dangerfield with our sole top 30 pick, i cant see us doing to much list renewal via the draft this year at all.

The list will change if not by trading than drafting WCE need to fill at a minimum 8 spaces on the list ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate reckons West Coast are all over some 18 year old otherwise unknown playing in the Pilbara league. Apparently they have been secretly flying him up an down for training and blocked him from playing WAFL. Big fast real nasty piece of works with a mullet half way down to his arse.
The Pilbara is part of our academy zone isn't it? Did your mate say if this guy is indigenous? If so does anyone know if we are able to pick up indigenous Pilbara players as category b rookies yet or do we still have to wait a bit longer before we get access to that?

The Pilbara is part of our academy zone isn't it? Did your mate say if this guy is indigenous? If so does anyone know if we are able to pick up indigenous Pilbara players as category b rookies yet or do we still have to wait a bit longer before we get access to that?

Think we can but we just may not have exclusive access to them. That's how we got Watson who qualified for Freo's Kimberley academy but chose us instead.

I'm struggling to work out what your position is here. You're complaining that we're not doing enough wheeling and dealing to improve our draft position but you admit it's hard to see how we'd make it happen?

The answer is simple enough: trade gaff for draft picks.

Otherwise, we are left in a limbo position of not wanting to offload players but having but a single early pick in the draft to work with. It's a nothing position for the club to be in.

Are you happy with the state of our list? If you are like most of us and think we have to start replenishing then we need to start trading players with currency and trading then now. At present, we are sitting rather idle and a relatively poor draft position gets us nowhere.

Think we can but we just may not have exclusive access to them. That's how we got Watson who qualified for Freo's Kimberley academy but chose us instead.
Ah ok, that's good then. If this guy is legit and has taken our advice not to play wafl, I'd assume he'd be keen to play for us too.

If this is true, then good news. We need recruits with attitude and niggle that are not close to leadership material. Having a secret academy in the wilderness is a perfect place to hide them away.

Last year was an exception where players could be taken ...now I think the players need to be in your academy for two to three seasons and they become eligible to the club as an Academy player .

The Pilbarra player spoken about if he has been in the Academy for a while he would be eligible or first up last year we could have taken him but probably not now .....unless he has been in the Academy for a while .

All confused now !!

Yes indigenous. Apparently the league is a short season, and he didn't play a huge amount of games. Mate reckons he was so far better player than anyone else it isn't funny, people resented having to play against him. I quite like the thought of us hiding some gun away where no other bastard can have a look at him. Hope its true.

Yes indigenous. Apparently the league is a short season, and he didn't play a huge amount of games. Mate reckons he was so far better player than anyone else it isn't funny, people resented having to play against him. I quite like the thought of us hiding some gun away where no other bastard can have a look at him. Hope its true.

Me too, hopefully it ends up kinda like Kerr after we plucked him straight out of the psa.

Last year was an exception where players could be taken ...now I think the players need to be in your academy for two to three seasons and they become eligible to the club as an Academy player .

The Pilbarra player spoken about if he has been in the Academy for a while he would be eligible or first up last year we could have taken him but probably not now .....unless he has been in the Academy for a while .

All confused now !!

ah ok, hopefully he's been in long enough to qualify.

The answer is simple enough: trade gaff for draft picks.

Otherwise, we are left in a limbo position of not wanting to offload players but having but a single early pick in the draft to work with. It's a nothing position for the club to be in.

Are you happy with the state of our list? If you are like most of us and think we have to start replenishing then we need to start trading players with currency and trading then now. At present, we are sitting rather idle and a relatively poor draft position gets us nowhere.

Ok, I'll ask a question I asked a few days ago. How many teams have actively shopped quality players for draft picks in the recent past, and how has that worked out for them?

You only need to look at the Dogs pushing Stringer out the door. He's a former pick 5 who made the AA side a couple of years ago and they don't look like getting anywhere near his value.

The sides you mentioned before who have multiple picks in the top 20, Adelaide and Richmond, have come about from losing players they didn't want to lose, not selling players who didn't want to leave.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-10-12/eagles-poised-for-midfield-reboot

Looking ahead to next month’s draft, Rawlings said his recruitment team had been keeping an eye on several mature-age talents in addition to watching the nation’s youth strut their stuff across Australia.

He said the likes of South Fremantle’s Tim Kelly and Haiden Schloithe were on the club’s radar, as was Subiaco excitement machine Liam Ryan.

“I think the WAFL standard has been quite good this year,” he said.

“Obviously South Fremantle and Subiaco were two really good strong standalone teams and, obviously, Peel with the affiliation with Fremantle were strong as well.

“Things have changed a bit over the years in terms of teams’ thoughts around that with some guys who are 23 or 24 coming in and having an impact straight away at AFL level. I feel that a lot of clubs will go down that path a bit more now.

“Those three (Kelly, Schloithe, Ryan) have had terrific seasons. Obviously, when you’re looking for the best talent around the country, those sort of names are always going to jump up.”

Great stuff to hear from our list manager.

Would it be possible to pick up all 3? Kelly looks like he won't last until the third round, so we'll have to use our second, while I wouldn't bank on Ryan being there in the rookie draft.

I guess it could be a choice between Schloithe and Ryan at our fourth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back