2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'll ask a question I asked a few days ago. How many teams have actively shopped quality players for draft picks in the recent past, and how has that worked out for them?

You only need to look at the Dogs pushing Stringer out the door. He's a former pick 5 who made the AA side a couple of years ago and they don't look like getting anywhere near his value.

The sides you mentioned before who have multiple picks in the top 20, Adelaide and Richmond, have come about from losing players they didn't want to lose, not selling players who didn't want to leave.

Yep, Brisbane learnt this with Bradshaw and Rischitelli, Demons are allegedly disappointed with Watts being shopped. As has been said in ~200 of the 550 pages of this thread, loyalty goes both ways.

If no deal is done either Port delist him (as they did with newton a few years ago) allowing us to pick him up as a free agent, or he delists himself and goes into the draft where he'd probably get through to our fourth rounder unless someone else wants to roll the dice on him.

there in lies the problem, what if someone does roll the dice , does he still choose which club or does the club before us get the choice

Think we can but we just may not have exclusive access to them. That's how we got Watson who qualified for Freo's Kimberley academy but chose us instead.

incidentally i like the look of watson he performed well in the pre season comp , but i think was injured for a lot of the season

Its all well and good to say Ah Chee is only worth a 4th but is he happy with that? If you have identified talent that you think could improve your list and he agrees to nominate you and you agree to go after him and then you let him go to the draft because you didn't want to pay the diff between a 3rd and a 4th seems a bit harsh.
Not saying its the case its just an element to consider and might not make Ah Chee the happiest Chappy to be left twisting in the wind so that we can draft another tweeter half back flanker that plays in the WAFL for 3 years in the 3rd round.

there in lies the problem, what if someone does roll the dice , does he still choose which club or does the club before us get the choice

If he goes in the draft and someone picks him before we do, he doesn't get a choice, no.

Its all well and good to say Ah Chee is only worth a 4th but is he happy with that? If you have identified talent that you think could improve your list and he agrees to nominate you and you agree to go after him and then you let him go to the draft because you didn't want to pay the diff between a 3rd and a 4th seems a bit harsh.
Not saying its the case its just an element to consider and might not make Ah Chee the happiest Chappy to be left twisting in the wind so that we can draft another tweeter half back flanker that plays in the WAFL for 3 years in the 3rd round.
Both clubs are just trying to get the best deal they can. It's business, nothing more. They'll hold out and one club will fold at the last minute

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he goes in the draft and someone picks him before we do, he doesn't get a choice, no.
the reason i ask (and it may be a case of loose journalism) but on the afl site earlier this week it mentioned that ah chee nominated us but also said he was happy to go elsewhere should he go to the draft .mmmm

He nominates for the PSD and we pick him up with our first pick, just like Tippett did getting to the Swans. He nominated them, he stated thats where he wanted to go. Eagles simply front end his contract in yr 1 and no one else will pick him.

I'm reasonably sure that with the PSD the contract terms are set and if another club jumps in a 'cuts your lunch' they must honor the terms of the contract agreed.

Its almost an unwritten rule in the AFL and the PSD, especially for fringe players.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-10-12/eagles-poised-for-midfield-reboot

Great stuff to hear from our list manager.

Would it be possible to pick up all 3? Kelly looks like he won't last until the third round, so we'll have to use our second, while I wouldn't bank on Ryan being there in the rookie draft.

I guess it could be a choice between Schloithe and Ryan at our fourth.

Kelly with 30. Schloithe and Ryan late to rookie. Ryan's quiet GF should hopefully see him slide. I hope we also rookie Garlett.

The answer is simple enough: trade gaff for draft picks.

Otherwise, we are left in a limbo position of not wanting to offload players but having but a single early pick in the draft to work with. It's a nothing position for the club to be in.

Are you happy with the state of our list? If you are like most of us and think we have to start replenishing then we need to start trading players with currency and trading then now. At present, we are sitting rather idle and a relatively poor draft position gets us nowhere.

Other than Gaff, who are these players with currency?

Mate reckons West Coast are all over some 18 year old otherwise unknown playing in the Pilbara league. Apparently they have been secretly flying him up an down for training and blocked him from playing WAFL. Big fast real nasty piece of works with a mullet half way down to his arse.
I need to know more.

8MpgO_f-thumbnail-100-0.jpg

He nominates for the PSD and we pick him up with our first pick, just like Tippett did getting to the Swans. He nominated them, he stated thats where he wanted to go. Eagles simply front end his contract in yr 1 and no one else will pick him.

I'm reasonably sure that with the PSD the contract terms are set and if another club jumps in a 'cuts your lunch' they must honor the terms of the contract agreed.

Its almost an unwritten rule in the AFL and the PSD, especially for fringe players.

In theory that could work, but he won't be on prohibitive money like Tippett was. Also there hasn't been a PSD in the last couple of years because no-one has gone through that far.

Ok, I'll ask a question I asked a few days ago. How many teams have actively shopped quality players for draft picks in the recent past, and how has that worked out for them?

You only need to look at the Dogs pushing Stringer out the door. He's a former pick 5 who made the AA side a couple of years ago and they don't look like getting anywhere near his value.

The sides you mentioned before who have multiple picks in the top 20, Adelaide and Richmond, have come about from losing players they didn't want to lose, not selling players who didn't want to leave.

Then you spin it: approach st kilda and say, listen gaff isnt on the market, but........you give us pick 7 and your next pick after pick 8 and we would think seriously about it

Other than Gaff, who are these players with currency?

Thats precisely what i mean, there are none. We should be trading gaff to get into this draft, immediately. If he decides to depart next year to victoria as a free agent we are screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back