2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uncontracted player draft. You save 1 pick for after the rookie picks . Then pick him up that way.

WCE will most likely try to draft Ah Chee with our fourth rounder on draft day if we fail to trade Ah Chee during the trade period .
If Not then its the pre season draft three days later if Ah Chee is still available .

I'm getting confused now .

Could you imagine if a 22 year old on our list dominated the wafl and came 2nd in the sand over. I'd hazzard a guess that we'd rate him far higher than a 4th round draft pick. Some rate Lamb a 3rd or 4th FFS
There's a difference between what he's "worth" and what our best offer should be.

On the whole, a player of Ah Chee's talent could very well be worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder..

But look at the situation with the amount of time he's spent on the list, the fact he's out of contract and has specifically nominated us as his preferred club, his output at AFL level over 6 years, the way Port have refused to play him and how he's fallen down the pecking order.... there's a reason why our offer should be minimal.

I'm glad we're playing hard ball.

Could you imagine if a 22 year old on our list dominated the wafl and came 2nd in the sand over. I'd hazzard a guess that we'd rate him far higher than a 4th round draft pick. Some rate Lamb a 3rd or 4th FFS
If we refused to play him all year in favour of a first year draftee, and had just brought in another inside mid (Rockliff) via free agency, plus he was out of contract, wanting to go back to his home state and had publicly nominated a club, then I think we would concede the fact that his market value wouldn't be very high.

There's a difference between what players are worth and what they are valued

There's a difference between what he's "worth" and what our best offer should be.

On the whole, a player of Ah Chee's talent could very well be worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder..

But look at the situation with the amount of time he's spent on the list, the fact he's out of contract and has specifically nominated us as his preferred club, his output at AFL level over 6 years, the way Port have refused to play him and how he's fallen down the pecking order.... there's a reason why our offer should be minimal.

**** you lmao

We bothers me is that by our own admission the club says "we are going to the draft", yet we refuse to wheel and deal or trade hard for draft picks and subsequently as it stands at present we have a but single pick in the top 30 selections.

Compare that to both of this years grand finalists who both have 2 choices in the top 20 selections.

We talk a good game but dont do too much. If we are deadly serious about replenishing our list via drafting, we need to trade out some players with currency. The only player i can see that we could do that with would be Gaff.

Otherwise, short of drafting the next Patrick Dangerfield with our sole top 30 pick, i cant see us doing to much list renewal via the draft this year at all.

We bothers me is that by our own admission the club says "we are going to the draft", yet we refuse to wheel and deal or trade hard for draft picks and subsequently as it stands at present we have a but single pick in the top 30 selections.
Compare that to both of this years grand finalists who both have 2 choices in the top 20 selections.
We talk a good game but dont do too much. If we are deadly serious about replenishing our list via drafting, we need to trade out some players with currency. The only player i can see that we could do that with would be Gaff.
Otherwise, short of drafting the next Patrick Dangerfield with our sole top 30 pick, i cant see us doing to much list renewal via the draft this year at all.

But how do you know we aren't wheeling and dealing? the reality is that most pick swaps will happen towards the end of the trade period (or as part of a trade) when everyone knows where they are at with trades and picks. Teams aren't as likely to swap picks in the first week as they may need them for a trade when someone they are interested in pops up later in trade week.

One of them is in that position because they just traded, largely against their will, a 21 year old who was in the All Australian squad. The other got it from trading a former number 1 pick last year, to a team that perennially has more high draft picks than they know what to do with.

But how do you know we aren't wheeling and dealing? the reality is that most pick swaps will happen towards the end of the trade period (or as part of a trade) when everyone knows where they are at with trades and picks. Teams aren't as likely to swap picks in the first week as they may need them for a trade when someone they are interested in pops up later in trade week.

Also this. There's been a total of three trades made so far, and the only potential trades that are getting talked about are the ones for bigger-name players (Ablett, Watts, Stringer, Saad, Kennedy...)

We won't know what wheeling and dealing is going on because it won't get any airtime.

I do not think so. With the 2017 development of the Crouch brothers, Adelaide are reasonably strong in the midfield along with Sloan and other rotating.

Many supposed experts see the top draft talent as follows:-
  • 4 clear at the top LDU, Raynor, Cerra and Dow (forget order)
  • 5 talls that could go 1st round being Hayes, Naughton, Brander, Balta and Callum-Jones
  • 1 Fogarty is a separate category and I would not be surprised if he slides to the Crows (word from Melbourne is that he might be a flight risk)
  • 3 outside mids/Fwds - Stephenson, Higgins, O'Brien
  • 2 Academy kids in Crossley (Suns) and Ballenden (Lions)
  • 1 F/S in Naish
  • 4 midfielders and that would meet our requirements - Brayshaw, Coffield, Constable, Clarke
Thinking that Adelaide may want to go local boy meaning Fogarty if still there or Callum-Jones (might be a reach but no go home)
What will the Lions do at 12? Not far off market value for Ballenden and depends what they have to give for Cameron
I expect Saints to go for 1 mid with pace (Stephenson or Brayshaw) and may go 1 tall
Pies should go a tall but might go for an elite ball user

With Giants holding Pick 11, they may be tempted with Brander as he was in their academy prior to zone change and they might want to get him as backup for CHF/CHB in 2 to 3 years when more elite talent goes to Mexico.

So that is 20 players and I expect one of these to be our pick. Hopefully not a tall as we do not need them yet. My desire would be one of Brayshaw, Coffield, Constable, Clarke or Higgins.

Shipley. I get the feeling he will be rated highly. We will like k y gave a cracked, and I don't mind that either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant see us getting into the draft any higher, can you? If so, how do we do it? Who gets traded out? Short of us trading gaff, i cant see our position improving.

The only way i can see us doing it is via trading gaff. Hell, we may even have to use our second selection (31) on Ah Chee yet, so that may further diminish our draft position.

Also this. There's been a total of three trades made so far, and the only potential trades that are getting talked about are the ones for bigger-name players (Ablett, Watts, Stringer, Saad, Kennedy...)

We won't know what wheeling and dealing is going on because it won't get any airtime.

I reiterate: how do we get more heavily into the draft and who has currency that we can trade to do it?

Theres gaff.......but who else? The rest of our trade options look rather slim. If we somehow end up with 2 picks in the top 25, i stand corrected. I just can't see how it happens.

I cant see us getting into the draft any higher, can you? If so, how do we do it? Who gets traded out? Short of us trading gaff, i cant see our position improving.

The only way i can see us doing it is via trading gaff. Hell, we may even have to use our second selection (31) on Ah Chee yet, so that may further diminish our draft position.
I honestly have no idea. They may do something with a team like Gold Coast that has loads of picks. But we really won't know until later next week. It doesn't mean they aren't trying. But no, I don't see any major upgrades on the horizon.

I do not think so. With the 2017 development of the Crouch brothers, Adelaide are reasonably strong in the midfield along with Sloan and other rotating.

Many supposed experts see the top draft talent as follows:-
  • 4 clear at the top LDU, Raynor, Cerra and Dow (forget order)
  • 5 talls that could go 1st round being Hayes, Naughton, Brander, Balta and Callum-Jones
  • 1 Fogarty is a separate category and I would not be surprised if he slides to the Crows (word from Melbourne is that he might be a flight risk)
  • 3 outside mids/Fwds - Stephenson, Higgins, O'Brien
  • 2 Academy kids in Crossley (Suns) and Ballenden (Lions)
  • 1 F/S in Naish
  • 4 midfielders and that would meet our requirements - Brayshaw, Coffield, Constable, Clarke
Thinking that Adelaide may want to go local boy meaning Fogarty if still there or Callum-Jones (might be a reach but no go home)
What will the Lions do at 12? Not far off market value for Ballenden and depends what they have to give for Cameron
I expect Saints to go for 1 mid with pace (Stephenson or Brayshaw) and may go 1 tall
Pies should go a tall but might go for an elite ball user

With Giants holding Pick 11, they may be tempted with Brander as he was in their academy prior to zone change and they might want to get him as backup for CHF/CHB in 2 to 3 years when more elite talent goes to Mexico.

So that is 20 players and I expect one of these to be our pick. Hopefully not a tall as we do not need them yet. My desire would be one of Brayshaw, Coffield, Constable, Clarke or Higgins.
Nice summary. Let's not get too hung up on particular players - just survey the entire field looking for the best remaining option at our pick.

If club and player were comfortable as to his value to the team and him being a strong chance of playing each year, they would have put a decent $$ package together for another 2 or 3 years.

Mountford is young and still yet to be considered in North's best 22 so he is likely to get a package that is lowish and hence no desire to commit longer term.
Spot on, a good year and he'll get that 2-3 year contract. We've done the same with brown with only a 2 year extension. Both have scope to get better and more coin as a result. The lengthy Daw and Swallow contracts have burnt north, so we are gun shy on offering long contracts.

I reiterate: how do we get more heavily into the draft and who has currency that we can trade to do it?

Theres gaff.......but who else? The rest of our trade options look rather slim. If we somehow end up with 2 picks in the top 25, i stand corrected. I just can't see how it happens.

I'm struggling to work out what your position is here. You're complaining that we're not doing enough wheeling and dealing to improve our draft position but you admit it's hard to see how we'd make it happen?

I completely disagree. Lamb hasn't been given a go, has been underperforming in the WAFL and has shown little interest out on the field. Plenty here have said his value is a 3rd. Ah Chee and Lam are in a similar position in terms of it being given a game, the only difference is that Ah Chee had actually been performing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back