2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit to early to limit the top end talent to 30 at this point in time.
I say that because almost every year there are four to five tall's who emerge from seemingly nowhere ( pre State 18's ) to push their way up draft boards, often into the first round. Example this time last year Griffin Logue was considered an outside chance to be drafted , however a first round grade on him was unheard of.

My information stacks up with some of the info you have as there are indeed quite a lot of quality KPP in this years draft and when you consider that there will be half a dozen more that emerge and announce themselves at the State 18's, then the KPP numbers will swell.

Just because there are more KPP player than usual at the top end of this years draft don't think for one moment that the mids are not as good as usual.
There are up to 15 mids who would in any other year be quality first rounders and some of these will be pushed down the draft board a bit due to eager Clubs wanting to restock with tall's.

This years mids come in all varieties inside / outside and those rare gems who play both rolls well. Likewise speed and endurance is also plentiful in this years cohort of mids.

Its a sensational year to go into the first round with two picks as St Kilda , Richmond and Brisbane do , as they get a chance to nab both a quality tall and small.

I see three very good rounds of draft picks in this years cohort and after that I see do see there being a good chance for the Banfield / Ryan types who had previously been overlooked to come into contention.
Well we need KPPs. I hope this season we turnover the list considering its age and take advantage of the talent available. Have you been tracking Goddard's development at Claremont this year? I also note that Jack Cripps was playing for Northern Blues last year, but has dropped off the radar.

Well we need KPPs. I hope this season we turnover the list considering its age and take advantage of the talent available. Have you been tracking Goddard's development at Claremont this year? I also note that Jack Cripps was playing for Northern Blues last year, but has dropped off the radar.

Goddard's ruck work has been tracking OK, but then again his ruck work has always been good, thats never been the problem .
Rather he needs to do more around the ground, meaning both getting more involved and presenting to be either a marking option or a link player.
The days of the lumbering ruckman are long gone.

His work rate around the ground is undoubtably improving but it still needs to go up at least one more notch before he would come into AFL list contention (and a rookie spot at that ) .

As far as Jack Cripps I rated him as a good solid footballer but his lack of speed would limit his transition to the next level, so in short a second tier competitor only for me, a bit like Roda solid WAFL player thats all.

Jumping around a bit here bit my two cents worth on Kelly is that I would be thrilled to have him on our list and a late third / early fourth rounder would most probably do it.
Not quite as skillful as either of the Purple Hills, almost as quick .........but a hell of a lot harder at the contest and he finds his own football.

Would be a two level upgrade on Hutchings and given Kelly's age we would still get 100 + games out of him.
I would be in favour of adding him to our list next season.

Jumping around a bit here bit my two cents worth on Kelly is that I would be thrilled to have him on our list and a late third / early fourth rounder would most probably do it.
Not quite as skillful as either of the Purple Hills, almost as quick .........but a hell of a lot harder at the contest and he finds his own football.

Would be a two level upgrade on Hutchings and given Kelly's age we would still get 100 + games out of him.
I would be in favour of adding him to our list next season.

Yeah, Goddard's ruck work has always been good.
On Kelly, heard an interview with Curley recently and he would be stunned if he was not on an AFL list at the end of this year.

richmond board
Not sure how strong it was but I recall Richmond being strong on Duggan. May be something there with Duggan and Bolton. Would probably see some later picks to even the trade up - Richmond would say there way but I would clearly say our way.

Not sure how strong it was but I recall Richmond being strong on Duggan. May be something there with Duggan and Bolton. Would probably see some later picks to even the trade up - Richmond would say there way but I would clearly say our way.

Pre Draft Richmond were definitely very keen on Duggan and were disappointed when we took him just ahead of them.
I think that Bolton for Duggan would be around the mark as a fair swap.
That said i still have hopes that Duggs is going to make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if getting McGovern is good for us. Does he address a need? Does he help us cover the likely retirement of JK?

He will likely cost our first unless we intend on trading a player and a later pick. All of this erodes our chance of fixing the midfield which is our biggest weakness.

I don't know if getting McGovern is good for us. Does he address a need? Does he help us cover the likely retirement of JK?

He will likely cost our first unless we intend on trading a player and a later pick. All of this erodes our chance of fixing the midfield which is our biggest weakness.

I think we're in need of quality non-KP forwards. LeCras may leave this year, and Hill's 28 - and to be honest neither are setting the world on fire. It's a position we could add to, I reckon. Simpson does too, reading what he said on OTC. McGovern's value probably falls between our first and second rounder so it will be interesting to see how we would get it done.

Last edited:
I think we're in need of quality non-KP forwards. LeCras may leave this year, and Hill's 28 - and to be honest neither are setting the world on fire. It's a position we could add to, I reckon. Simpson does, reading what he said on OTC. McGovern's value probably falls between our first and second rounder so it will be interesting to see how we would get it done.

Though I do suspect this may just be a rehash of the same rumour Hackdorn blatantly started.
I agree, but if this fixes 5% of the team's problems (non KP forwards) when the midfield is 20%, have we targeted the right area? If we trade a second and a player and keep or first, cool. But if we give up our first then I think it shows that our priorities are in the wrong place.

I agree, but if this fixes 5% of the team's problems (non KP forwards) when the midfield is 20%, have we targeted the right area? If we trade a second and a player and keep or first, cool. But if we give up our first then I think it shows that our priorities are in the wrong place.

Yeah, I agree that using our first rounder would be going the wrong way about it. Hopefully our first is retained for either a midfielder or key forward.

Gov jr is fine as long as it means we don't give up a first rounder. Does that mean we part ways with Parto? That would suck as our young midfield talent is a bit thin.

G'day folks. If Gov decides on an eagles future, the only thing we'd want is A grade mids or picks to get them given the premiership window for us seems open and it's our only identifiable weakness.

However, I don't see you giving up shuey or gaff...

I smell a third party getting involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back