2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes in a way, but more to put the likes of manicmagpie & his twin Frankie back in their box, ;)

Some questions:

1) Who is Frankie?
2) What box?
3) You know there's a difference between correcting someone who stated that today's crowd was massively ahead of all other games at Carrara this season and criticising today's crowd, right?
4) Do you think Collingwood hasn't pulled much better crowds at Carrara?

Why do i need a link? Just using common sense as to why they got a good crowd v the Cats, (their ex champ in Ablett now playing for the Cats) it's called using your brain & logic. All their other crowd numbers are well down confirming this observation to be true. Now to today's crowd v the Tiges, that's a different story. No gimmicks needed here. Just the yellow & black army out in full force. ;):thumbsu:

No, this is just rah rah bullshit which is why RFC posters get banned from this board

Stick to facts, not baits

Was the Geelong game also a Saturday afternoon game? I remember hearing one of the Suns execs about a year ago saying the Saturday afternoon time slot is the best time slot for crowds up there because it enables their younger supporters and families to attend the more friendly timeslot rather than night games.

Excellent crowd.
Yep sat arvo is what fans and members want and AFL give us 1 (one) the whole season. Sat twilight is also good. Night games can EAD and we get 4 of them. 4 out of 7 home games are night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coll V Lions 33,390 @ Etihad

Ended up ok but nothing more. Same teams and same form 10 years ago and that would be over 40k.

There’s obviously an issue with getting Pies fans to go to Docklands but the club never does anything proactive about encouraging them to attend.

Ended up ok but nothing more. Same teams and same form 10 years ago and that would be over 40k.

There’s obviously an issue with getting Pies fans to go to Docklands but the club never does anything proactive about encouraging them to attend.
Agreed. The club really doesn’t try and build etihad games up as any kind of event. They’re doing that young members thing for the Port game next weekend. No idea why they wouldn’t try and do that this week to pump the crowd up a bit.

It’s a strange thing really, I know a family of 6 that go to every MCG game but never go to Etihad. They just hate it. I hate it too but I can’t really tell you why.

I was pretty happy that we were there today given I had to run through hail to get to my car to drive in this week though.

Agreed. The club really doesn’t try and build etihad games up as any kind of event. They’re doing that young members thing for the Port game next weekend. No idea why they wouldn’t try and do that this week to pump the crowd up a bit.

It’s a strange thing really, I know a family of 6 that go to every MCG game but never go to Etihad. They just hate it. I hate it too but I can’t really tell you why.

I was pretty happy that we were there today given I had to run through hail to get to my car to drive in this week though.

Both Collingwood and Richmond are spoilt rotten by being G tenants. We both like to tell the world we have vast fan bases but fact is neither of us would have got Essendons 37000 at the Dome this week even though we were top 4. We are both spoilt rotten and dead lucky

Both Collingwood and Richmond are spoilt rotten by being G tenants. We both like to tell the world we have vast fan bases but fact is neither of us would have got Essendons 37000 at the Dome this week even though we were top 4. We are both spoilt rotten and dead lucky

It also seems both so called massive "armies" number about only 30,000 hard core supporters that will follow their club anywhere the rest are MCG event bandwagoners.

One would have imagined reserved seat holders would be the rusted on supporters who turn up to each game. But Essendon tweeted that 40% of reserved seat holders do not turn up on average, hence the 42-43k sellouts at Docklands. It is not as big an issue for MCG home games as there are usually other seats (and I have the unsubstantiated suspicion that reserve seat holders turn up to these games in better numbers). I imagine other Melbourne clubs are similar with 40% not turning up, at least for Docklands matches.

Yet, it doesn’t seem to be the issue outside of Melbourne and Sydney. The big 4 Melbourne membership clubs - Richmond, Hawthorn, Essendon and Collingwood - have extremely high membership numbers like West Coast. But in median form will never pull the same amount of their own supporters to their matches as West Coast or Adelaide. Fremantle’s crowds this season are holding up better than all Melbourne clubs would in a similar circumstance, too.

So why do only a fraction of Melbourne-based supporters turn up to matches? Is Melbourne now too big that the logistics and costs of getting to a game make it unviable to attend in the same numbers and Perth and Adelaide unless of course it’s a ‘big game’? For example, Richmond had crowds of 28k and 95k against interstate opposition in their premiership year. Even with appropriate capacities, I can’t imagine a West Coast pulling 95k or especially 28k in their premiership year. Additionally, any hint of rain seems to impact crowds in Melbourne more than elsewhere.

It also seems both so called massive "armies" number about only 30,000 hard core supporters that will follow their club anywhere the rest are MCG event bandwagoners.

You are partly right. Partly wrong.

Yes there are many "MCG event followers" but every club would have them if that club was a G tenant.

The two "armies" do exist but not in the sense that either can guarantee 40,000 at the Dome. I personally believe that Essendon would comfortably outdraw both if all three were stuck as Dome tenants given similar form and expectation.

The exist in the sense that if either club are going well they have the capacity to draw huge raucous crowds which make for a spectacle. The "event" you talk about. Its not so much about core numbers but maxed out event athmosphere. This is true especially of Richmond whose core numbers can shrink and frequently have shrunk but have numbers that can materialise as if from nowhere. That's where Richmond and Collingwood can talk with some accuracy about their "armies". Theya re Big Game phenomena.

You are partly right. Partly wrong.

Yes there are many "MCG event followers" but every club would have them if that club was a G tenant.

The two "armies" do exist but not in the sense that either can guarantee 40,000 at the Dome. I personally believe that Essendon would comfortably outdraw both if all three were stuck as Dome tenants given similar form and expectation.

The exist in the sense that if either club are going well they have the capacity to draw huge raucous crowds which make for a spectacle. The "event" you talk about. Its not so much about core numbers but maxed out event athmosphere. This is true especially of Richmond whose core numbers can shrink and frequently have shrunk but have numbers that can materialise as if from nowhere. That's where Richmond and Collingwood can talk with some accuracy about their "armies". Theya re Big Game phenomena.
I think this is basically on the mark.

I actually think the 33,390 last night was a decent crowd. It probably wouldn’t have drawn anymore last night at the MCG due to wet weather. However on a fine night this would’ve drawn upwards of 45,000 at the G.

Sometimes you can’t understand crowds at Ethihad. Clearly Collingwood and Richmond fans are more reluctant to go there probably mainly because they’re spoilt with most of their games being at the G. Ditto Hawthorn.

Last year when Essendon were in full flight challenging the top 8 mid season, it drew 41,200 to Ethihad against a Lions team which was going worse than they were last night. It was seen as a certain Essendon win (and Essendon lost!). Now how many would a flying Essendon have drawn that day to the G? Probably around 44-45,000 with some MCC and AFL extras largely the difference.

The big Vic clubs do have an army that basically only go to the G. You only need to compare crowds at both venues. Essendon, with its clearly higher supporter acceptance threshold at Ethihad certainly gives up crowds at Ethihad. Games against Melbourne, Hawthorn and Geelong the biggest examples, again these are clubs with sizeable MCC (Essendon & Melbourne) and the AFL enclosures. This year a struggling Essendon drew 36,000 to Ethihad. History says that this fixture featuring a struggling Essendon would’ve drawn at least 44,000 with the MCC being well attended.

These variance are definitely enlarged in good on field years for Essendon (and others) where the G certainly attracts the Big clubs casual supporters as well as the neutrals in the MCC / AFL reserves - ‘the armies’. Big time blockbuster fixtures at the G probably draw between 10-30,000 at the G Vs Ethihad and I believe this is due to the key factors:

- AFL & MCC members of both clubs disregard Ethihad totally

- AFL & MCC neutrals definitely go to big fixtures (note AFL & MCC well attended yesterday at Haw V Gee despite both clubs have low to medium support in each reserve and historical examples of Haw V Syd in recent years).

- Casual supporters of each club definitely prefer to go to the G due to perceived ease of access

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back