List Mgmt. 2018 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take the punt on Rankine we can not over look him just because he might be a flight risk.
If Carlton take Walsh at 1 i would take both Lukosius and Rankine at 2 & 3.
Depend on his interview , if he act like DickH then I don't mind Bailey smith who is captain for his Tac cup side and show leadership.

Bailey Scott is apparently an outside player

Is he pacy? Ie. hill brothers, Polec, Lewis Jetta type

Or is he more a schoenfeld, Sam Gibson, Chris masten one paced good endurance runner.

One willl be far more valuable for us..

Depend on his interview , if he act like DickH then I don't mind Bailey smith who is captain for his Tac cup side and show leadership.
Just had a quick look at Bailey Smith he would fit right into Dews game plan.
Looks like a hard working midfielders that runs both ways and loves laying a hard tackle and got a long kick on him can find the goals on the run from outside 50.

+ he's bigger than Walsh and already 8kg heavier

Bailey Scott is apparently an outside player

Is he pacy? Ie. hill brothers, Polec, Lewis Jetta type

Or is he more a schoenfeld, Sam Gibson, Chris masten one paced good endurance runner.

One willl be far more valuable for us..
From AFL Draft central more HF
July rank: N/A

While fellow Academy and father-son prospect Nick Blakey made his call earlier in the season, there is still a three-way tussle for Bailey Scott. The Gold Coast Academy utility also has North Melbourne and Geelong that will be after his services, and he has a big decision to make. He is strong, can play up either end or on the inside, while his kicking can still be cleaned up a little, he impacts the contest, leads by example and hurts teams on the scoreboard when up forward.

Past month:

Scott enhanced his draft credentials at the National Under 18 Championships with the Allies. He made the All-Australian side and was consistent off half-forward or through the middle, having a penetrating kick and constantly cracking in hard at the contest. A medium midfielder who will be more inside than outside, Scott can virtually slot in anywhere and if his National Championships are anything to go by, he will be a very solid player at AFL level.

Craig Cameron said tonight he expects to take 5 picks in the top 30 to the draft and inject more quality kids to the list.

Said we will have a decent list turn over this year.

And chatting to him afterwards, he likes Lukosius a lot...
Smart man , You guys did well out of the picks last year and have some really nice talent on the list then to add another 5 quality kids in a super draft makes alot of sense and wont take long before its as exciting as the lions rebuild.

Cameron also said we are going to bring in multiple mature mids via trades/pre-season draft/rookie draft, but no big dollar A-graders. Going for reliable depth and hopefully a few diamonds in the rough from state leagues.
Another good move covers for injuries and gives the kids time to develop similar to what the GWS did with all the older players they started with

I would take the punt on Rankine we can not over look him just because he might be a flight risk.
If Carlton take Walsh at 1 i would take both Lukosius and Rankine at 2 & 3.

You take the best available talent at your pick , Both Lukosius & Rankine are top shelf talent and if the culture and the club leadership is good there is no reason why they wont stay. fremantle managed to keep Fyfe,Pavlich and others as well as west coast there is no reason why players wont stay when all these things are now looking to be in place.

Brodie/Bowes/Ainsworth/Martin are all well above average pace wise

Really?
Ainsworth and Martin explosive and quick off the mark yes
Not 100% sure on their credentials streaming down the wing.

Cannot believe mr languid jack Bowes is fast - certainly never seen him use it if he is.

Will Brodie ditto to Bowes.habvenr seen enough to know. Definitely hasn’t displayed it in his few games.

Another good move covers for injuries and gives the kids time to develop similar to what the GWS did with all the older players they started with

Experienced/mature age players in first 2 years

Gc: Ablett(190), bock(110), Brennan (120), rischitelli(110), Brown(160), Harris(150), krakouer(40), Stanley(5), warnock(55), harbrow(75), fraser (200), mcqualter (90), Horsley (0 - age 25)

Games played on arrival in brackets

Gws: brogan, McDonald, cornes, giles, power, ward, Mumford, Davis.. probably more I can’t think of

Bit of a misnomer that gws had mature age players to protect the young kids and we didn’t.

We had a number of experienced, high quality players
- 3 AA (Ablett, bock, Brown)
Another best and fairest winner (rischitelli)
Rising young player harbrow
a couple of older heads Fraser and Harris.
Couple of mercurial talents in Brennan and krakouer
Few mature agers with big bodies who hadn’t taken the afl opportunity so far Stanley and Horsley
And Andrew mcqualter

The main difference was the leadership qualities all the gws senior guys brought. Some of our recruits had that capability but clearly wasn’t a focus of the recruiters.

Craig Cameron said tonight he expects to take 5 picks in the top 30 to the draft and inject more quality kids to the list.

Said we will have a decent list turn over this year.

And chatting to him afterwards, he likes Lukosius a lot...
Thats interesting and also very revealing.
5 top 30 picks and id say only 1 of them would be set aside for b.scott. Graham and Koenan are too good to be passed on IMO even if they slip to rookie draft we should still pick them up, so thats 7 list spots that need to be cleared plus these "B Grade mature players" that has been mentioned assume 2/3 so we will be needing 9/10 list spots unless the AFL has already given assurances to extra list spots. Considering we still have 1 rookie spot available we will likely need to cut 8 players. Who goes?
Rosa, Barlow, lynch, hall?, willis?, jaska?, leslie?, lonergan?

Experienced/mature age players in first 2 years

Gc: Ablett(190), bock(110), Brennan (120), rischitelli(110), Brown(160), Harris(150), krakouer(40), Stanley(5), warnock(55), harbrow(75), fraser (200), mcqualter (90), Horsley (0 - age 25)

Games played on arrival in brackets

Gws: brogan, McDonald, cornes, giles, power, ward, Mumford, Davis.. probably more I can’t think of

Bit of a misnomer that gws had mature age players to protect the young kids and we didn’t.

We had a number of experienced, high quality players
- 3 AA (Ablett, bock, Brown)
Another best and fairest winner (rischitelli)
Rising young player harbrow
a couple of older heads Fraser and Harris.
Couple of mercurial talents in Brennan and krakouer
Few mature agers with big bodies who hadn’t taken the afl opportunity so far Stanley and Horsley
And Andrew mcqualter

The main difference was the leadership qualities all the gws senior guys brought. Some of our recruits had that capability but clearly wasn’t a focus of the recruiters.
Looking at that list i think the gaping hole between the clubs as far as personnel go is sheedy v mckenna.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats interesting and also very revealing.
5 top 30 picks and id say only 1 of them would be set aside for b.scott. Graham and Koenan are too good to be passed on IMO even if they slip to rookie draft we should still pick them up, so thats 7 list spots that need to be cleared plus these "B Grade mature players" that has been mentioned assume 2/3 so we will be needing 9/10 list spots unless the AFL has already given assurances to extra list spots. Considering we still have 1 rookie spot available we will likely need to cut 8 players. Who goes?
Rosa, Barlow, lynch, hall?, willis?, jaska?, leslie?, lonergan?
First six absolutely
I’d prefer to keep the other two
I would consider flicking schoenfeld even with the contract. Can we just pay him out like they do in the nba. Be one way to meet the cap floor
Any chance Pearce might say I’m sick of these injuries and throw the towel in? Not that I want him to.
Connor nutting? Was emerg a few times I think so must have done ok in the neafl. I don’t know much about him.

Agree with the 5 draft picks - but very wary of the 'mature' players to be bought in. For example - I'd stick with Lonergan if it were a choice between him and Horlin-Smith. Better the one you know - than taking a chance on another's cast off.
As for the Academy players - I think the club should have a policy that selects it's best Academy performers . Why fund an Academy if you don't propose to utilise its best product..

Cameron did mention that with the club looking to bring in multiple mature mids, they did not want to decrease the opportunity of our current young mids from getting senior game time. So I guess it’s a matter of getting the mix right, and working out which current players can take us forward and who haven’t shown enough in their time?

They both were also praising our academy and said they hope to have 50-60% QLD’ers on our list in the future, create local heroes and will be pumping more funding/staff into the academy next season.

Both Cameron & Haines spoke very well. Haines in particular. I found him a likeable chap.

They said they have 3 trade/draft plans written that they are presenting to the board next month. So nothing set in stone yet.

The whole thing was recorded by the Suns video guy, hopefully they upload it.

I’m supportive of Cameron taking 5 picks to the draft. But if we are getting mature players in at well then 8-10 people have to be moved on... In addition may mean we don’t pick up so many academy players

There’s going to be more than 8-10 , if you look at our history we average 10-12 changes per season , there was a season a couple of years ago we shed 13 , lowest has been 9 and from what Cameron said last night could be more.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
There’s going to be more than 8-10 , if you look at our history we average 10-12 changes per season , there was a season a couple of years ago we shed 13 , lowest has been 9 and from what Cameron said last night could be more.

Agree there will be at least 8 -10 with some lucky to be retained (Lemmens for one). I am hoping for at least 4 mature age players from SANFL, WAFL, VFL etc to complement the two top picks - Lukosius, Rankine or the Kings twins. Might even see some rays of light in 2019 if we get the right blood in and boot out the soft ones. Time will tell but fingers firmly crossed..... and we don't need Horlin Smith. No more fringe players who can't get a regular game with the possible exception of Miles (Richmond).

Would probably have expected schoenfeld to be one of those changes bad he not given a 3 year deal but oh well

Who goes?

Out:
Rosa
Barlow
Rischitelli apparently being given another contract
Lynch
Hall
Nutting
Wigg

Kk/Lonergan/harbs still unsigned

Would probably have expected schoenfeld to be one of those changes bad he not given a 3 year deal but oh well

Who goes?

Out:
Rosa
Barlow
Lynch
Hall
Nutting
Wigg

Add Willis and Jaska , lonergan will be nervous so will Kk , nutting and Wigg have contracts , but reality we are 17th list needs to be cut deep.

Who goes?

Out:
Rosa
Barlow
Lynch
Hall
Nutting
Wigg

I would definitely offer Barlow and Rischitelli another year on the understanding they are leaders in the NEAFL and top ups only.
Out for me are
Uncle Tom
Rosa
Hall

I would also talk to the following about looking at other opportunities
Hanley
Lonergan
Schoenfield
Day
KK
Nicholls
AhChee

I know some on the list are favourites but ask yourself if any have delivered on their ability

I would definitely offer Barlow and Rischitelli another year on the understanding they are leaders in the NEAFL and top ups only.
Out for me are
Uncle Tom
Rosa
Hall

I would also talk to the following about looking at other opportunities
Hanley
Lonergan
Schoenfield
Day
KK
Nicholls
AhChee

I know some on the list are favourites but ask yourself if any have delivered on their ability
Ah Chee is only 20. Huge upside. Would be just straight out stupid to let him go

Koenan and Graham might go to Cat B like Dawson .

Could be
1) Spencer
2) Wigg
3) Jaska
4) mac Willis
5) Barlow
6) Rosa
7) Lynch
8) Hall

* Like them or not
Shoenfield , Nutting,Nicholls all under contract will only go if somebody looking for their service .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back