List Mgmt. 2018 NAB AFL Draft: November 22nd & 23rd

Who would you prefer with our first selection?

• Max King

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Bailey Smith

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Connor Rozee

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Jye Caldwell

Votes: 37 15.5%
  • Unknown Smokey?

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Jack Lukosious

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Isak Rankine

Votes: 72 30.1%
  • Ben King

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Sam Walsh

Votes: 13 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to know what Jack Bytels back problem was from, if only from a growth spurt, then if we got him with a late pick, he’d be a steak. Pretty sure he was being touted in the top 10 at the beginning of the year.
Yes he was

Doug Hogan 23 I'm happy to offer the suggested trade (that we'd offer next years first to GC for 6 & 24) to any club thereafter who has Caldwell or Ben King available at their pick.

Yes we'd need to make it work with a second rounder next year or AFL permission but we need to make the most of this year's draft and the notion that we will finish bottom 5 next year.

Here it is anyway.

WA highlighted for you.

ST KILDA

DRAFT PICKS: 4, 36, 46, 67, 79 KEY DEFENDERS: Jake Carlisle, Nathan Brown, Logan Austin, Darragh Joyce, Oscar Clavarino SMALL/MEDIUM DEFENDERS: Dylan Roberton, Jarryn Geary, Jimmy Webster, Daniel McKenzie, Shane Savage, Brandon White, Nick Coffield, Bailey Rice, Ben Paton, Doulton Langlands MIDFIELDERS: Jack Steven, Seb Ross, Jack Steele, Jack Sinclair, Dan Hannebery, Blake Acres, Jack Newnes, Luke Dunstan, Hunter Clark, David Armitage, Ed Phillips KEY FORWARDS: Josh Bruce, Paddy McCartin, Tim Membrey, Josh Battle, Rowan Marshall, SMALL/MEDIUM FORWARDS: Jade Gresham, Jack Billings, Dean Kent, Jack Lonie, Ben Long RUCKS: Billy Longer, Lewis Pierce, Sam Alabakis

North Melbourne have been the butt of jokes about failing to land big-name players, but the Saints have been in the hunt for plenty in recent times as well, unable to secure the likes of Josh Kelly or Dylan Shiel. Getting either of those Greater Western Sydney midfielder would have been a boon for St Kilda for the biggest knock on the Saints’ list remains a lack of bona fide stars in any position. That makes pick four a huge decision for them, and despite talk they could trade that selection it is still expected they will hold onto it. Curiously, the two players they have been most strongly linked to in that position are both Saints fans. Victorian tall forward Max King has spent some of the year with St Kilda as he rehabilitates his torn ACL, while South Australian Connor Rozee is a terrific ball user, and is versatile. The sky is the limit for King, but the Saints are reasonably well-stocked for tall forwards, while Rozee probably better addresses St Kilda’s needs. Later in the draft it wouldn’t be a shock if the Saints chanced their arm on utility Tom Jok, who impressed with Collingwood’s VFL side and took out St Kilda’s time trial earlier this month after being invited to train by the Saints. West Australian mature-ager Marlion Pickett is another believed to be on the Saints’ radar. Like Tim Kelly last year, Pickett tore it up in the WAFL for South Fremantle this year.

good get mate!!!

What do we know about Marlion Pickett? Is he on our radar for a late pick?

Really keen on this guy. A rich man's Aaron Hall. Playing off half-back would be ideal. Quickish, good foot skills and daring with his run. Just what we need. I'm a bit surprised GC didn't nominate him as one of their state league selections as he would have been a perfect replacement for Hall. Get him if you can, Gags and Libba.

Lukosius is No 1 all day, how ever good walsh is he's better because he's a tall forward you pay a premium for them, the comparison to riewoldt is accurate and i would actually say he's better because he a lot better kick, smarter footballer and a better mark, the only place riewoldt would have him covered is in his athleticism, im sure you would rate riewoldt in the top 5 saints players of all time, so you dont pass on him
C9di.gif

there are 20 or 30 great midfielders in the comp, maybe 5 or 6 great forwards, they are naturally more valuable than a midfielder
We don’t care. **** off now :)

Lukosius is a potential star, but please....

A kid who has yet to play one AFL games a smarter footballer, better mark and better kick than Riewoldt?

I’m afraid you’ve lost any credibility you may have had on here.
riewoldt was never a very good kick and he got a little better towards the end, you wouldnt say he was a great contested marker, most of his marking was done on the lead after burning off his opponents and i will say he was a smart footballer but he did have some brain fades along the way as heath shaw will concur

riewoldt was never a very good kick and he got a little better towards the end, you wouldnt say he was a great contested marker, most of his marking was done on the lead after burning off his opponents and i will say he was a smart footballer but he did have some brain fades along the way as heath shaw will concur
Well clearly I don’t know what a contested mark is then? He was an unbelievable pack mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well clearly I don’t know what a contested mark is then? He was an unbelievable pack mark.
he was, and an underrated one on one contested mark. People just can't compute that he was great at all of it, they have to lesson some of his abilities to admit others.

most contested marks of all time? N Riewoldt. about 20% more than the next best

Lukosius is No 1 all day, how ever good walsh is he's better because he's a tall forward you pay a premium for them, the comparison to riewoldt is accurate and i would actually say he's better because he a lot better kick, smarter footballer and a better mark, the only place riewoldt would have him covered is in his athleticism, im sure you would rate riewoldt in the top 5 saints players of all time, so you dont pass on him

Hasn’t played a game of senior footy but Roo only has him covered athleticism wise.

And you wonder why there’s armed guards on the Victorian side of Bordertown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3000 marks, 718 goals 455 behinds says you have NFI - never really understood the impact of ice - till now!!!

Yeah luksious definitely has him covered Riewoldt only holds the record for marks taken just a lazy 2944 at 8.76 per game, add 718 goals at over two per game to that.

Riewoldt is a world class athlete who Daly Thompson and seb coe said was good enough to be an Olympic finalist at 400 but yep a kid playing fair football in the SANFL joke Comp is a lock to be better.

He’ll go top 3 as he should and you’d love to have him but let’s just lower the expectations to a realistic level. We’re not getting him and neither are port so what’s the obsession with him?.

I see you don’t watch much football. Or relevant football. He won the most contested marks year on year - of which contested marking isn’t done on the lead, but in a contest. In 17 years he only once kicked more behinds than goals, which he was injured that year.

But Lukosius is better.

Riewoldt was more than that. Much more.

He was one of the most competitive, determined and desperate footballers I have even seen. Not just on game day but in the way he prepared himself. It was evident at the beginning. Does Lukosius exhibit those same qualities? I don’t know.

Riewoldt was also one of the greatest marks I have even seen. Phenomenal. A freak. Even as a lad.

Lukosius shouldn’t even been mentioned in the same breath at this stage. He’ll need more than ability to succeed in the AFL. He’ll need Riewoldt’s qualities to be even half the player he was. I hope he is and it is likely he’s the player PA and the Crows want more than any other.

Imagine if he slipped to pick 4. Gold Coast have some amazing players to choose from and other factors rather than just ability to consider.

Paton is my eyebrow raiser for next season. Sinclair 2.0 with some extra toe. Pace, skill, and wait for it.......a solid kick for goal. What's not to like?

Totally agree about Paton, I didn't know anything about him before the draft but he showed alot this year. I think he will be a great get for us.

Clark impressed me as well.

Coffield I'm not so sure about yet, I think he is wasted playing half back flank, I'm not sure how that is going to help him going forward.

Go Saints

What is making the choices more difficult is the impact for short term or long term gain. I've been pretty hyped about Max King he looks like he could be a star, however if we took a midfielder in Smith, you would expect a better result short term. This would affect our ability to become an attractive club for trading and free agents; we haven't been close to landing a 'big fish' for a while and sadly if we draft Max King, we might be in the same boat for another few years.
I know one player doesn't change all of this but it's this type of mentality that is what is making pick 4 so hard to choose.
I like the idea of trading our first next year for their 6 this year because most likely pick 6 this year is at the standard of a pick 3+ next year.

Like this talk of trading our 2019 1st round pick to the suns for pick 6 this year. Big stumbling block is that we have traded our future 2nd in the Hanners trade. I'm not sure of the rules around this but if we trade in another future 3rd round pick, will this allow us to trade a future 1st? Or are we required to specifically to acquire a future 2nd round pick?

If I were the saints, I'd look at the following trade:
2019 1st + pick 36 for pick 6 + suns 2019 3rd round pick

If the saints rate this draft much higher than next year, worth pulling the trigger. Good chance that saints have a top 5 pick next year. The suns also strengthen their draft hand in next year's draft. Anyone know if the suns have any highly rated academy prospects next year?

Would be awesome to pick up Max King and Caldwell/Smith in this year's draft.

Is this a joke? He was one of the best contested ball marker for years. Did you never watch him play? Why do you think most teams tried to double team him when he was trying to mark the ball? As for brain fades then name a footballer who never made a mistake at some time, the fact that you remember the Heath Shaw one means he obviously didn't make too many mistakes in his career. Look at his status for kicking at goal throughout his career and they were very good. He did mess up a kick for goal sometimes which looked awful but on the whole he was a very reliable kick at goal all throughout his career. Obviously you remember they failures but we also remember how many times he kicked important goals.

Maybe think things through before you make stupid comments.

Go Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back