Opinion 2018 Non-Crows #4: You say Potato, I say Portato (Cont in Part 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a scan of the Port board (very ordinary background pic, by the way) and they think it'll be great to have less Crows bias, and this will be a big wakeup call for 5AA and MMM and all that. OK, then. As for the general SEN vs the rest thing....

Apart from any issues of quality journalism, or coverage of other sports, one of the key differences between the Adelaide and Melbourne markets is that

- Adelaide is a 2 team town, parochial about those teams, the bulk of listeners want to hear about the Crows or Port (and mostly the Crows). They (both sides) will whine, rightly or wrongly, about how their team is treated in the media, and about "bias". They don't care about Collingwood or the Bulldogs etc. The only way IMO to be a successful footy/sports station in SA is lots and lots of Crows/Port coverage, and a tabloid approach to stirring up the listenership.

- Melbourne, on the other hand, is a 10 team town with a much larger population. Melbourne listeners don't think about "bias". Sure, Bulldogs supporters would like to hear less Collingwood news and more Bulldogs news, but to radio listeners in general, "bias" (1 team vs the other) is not an issue. They have grown up, with, and are used to, a spread of coverage across multiple teams. They are, IMO, more likely to listen in to a radio station that is talking, a lot of the time, about other teams, because that's the way it is. They're used to listening to the radio to hear about football. SA listeners listen to the radio to hear about the Crows. Or Port.

And rightly or wrongly, I think that's a fundamental stumbling block for an SEN-type format in Adelaide.

As a crows supporter living in Melbourne, I really enjoy listening to SEN. You still get the relevant news from the Adelaide clubs (plus all the rumour mongering if that's what you're interested in). I find there is a lot better balance to the callers too, and there are more interesting topics brought up when you can discuss the whole comp, albeit with a bit of a Vic bias. Whately's show in SEN mornings is fantastic. The 5aa sports show is tired, and Adelaide radio really needs better (and younger) sports talent on air.

As a crows supporter living in Melbourne, I really enjoy listening to SEN. You still get the relevant news from the Adelaide clubs (plus all the rumour mongering if that's what you're interested in). I find there is a lot better balance to the callers too, and there are more interesting topics brought up when you can discuss the whole comp, albeit with a bit of a Vic bias. Whately's show in SEN mornings is fantastic. The 5aa sports show is tired, and Adelaide radio really needs better (and younger) sports talent on air.
completely agree

After hearing about Watts you really do need to shake your head at the narrative that Chad Wingard is unprofessional and that is why Port supposedly pushed him out

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Even without this story Watts reputation for being lazy on and off the field was evident before port secured him

Goodwin banished him to the VFL on multiple occasions for the very same reasons why Port released Wingard

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even without this story Watts reputation for being lazy on and off the field was evident before port secured him

Goodwin banished him to the VFL on multiple occasions for the very same reasons why Port released Wingard

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm still gobsmacked at the pace from which Watts went from laughing stock to gun the second he was traded.

And to my knowledge, the AFL has not said one word about drugs in the AFL or bringing the game into disrepute .....they've become numb to drugs in the AFL ......and the hypocrisy of the AFL is unbelievable, if they do nothing

It's coke, not a performance enhancing drug.

Mountain out of a molehill.

After hearing about Watts you really do need to shake your head at the narrative that Chad Wingard is unprofessional and that is why Port supposedly pushed him out

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't get why Port just don't be honest here and say that pushed him out as they weren't going to meet his FA demands.

Actually no. I do. Imagine choosing Watts/Motlop/Rockliff over Wingard. :$

Other people Watts age, other players, have done what Watts has done, even ignoring the drugs angle, it's still a story though, because unlike the guy who works wherever else, Watts has likely broken his contract by bringing the game/club into disrepute. I don't want players at my club getting caught doing similar, risking sponsorships and whatever else, we wouldn't hear the end of it from Port supporters/Crocmedia"

I wonder if this will be one of those things Kochie is tough against in the media, another club he would have had a go at them a few years ago, "wouldn't happen at our club!" but when it does, cover up, "he actually plays for Geelong"... Opportunity to set an example? Will they ever take it though...

Possible salary cap dump? would they have to count it if he's axed having broken a clause in his contract?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back