Opinion 2018 Non-Crows Discussion - Part 2: Tom Doedee, Rising Star Nominee & Port's New Major Sponsor

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need super slow motion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
If I can see the tread in detail during a super slo mo of a formula 1 car’s tire spinning insanely fast, then the AFL can figure out a way to display a spinning footy that isn’t a blurry mess. It’s pathetic.

If I can see the tread in detail during a super slo mo of a formula 1 car’s tire spinning insanely fast, then the AFL can figure out a way to display a spinning footy that isn’t a blurry mess. It’s pathetic.
It comes down to money. The AFL don't want to spend it on the cameras. So the goal reviewers are left with potato slow-motion images to try and determine whether a ball was touched or if it hit the post. Simple as that.

It comes down to money. The AFL don't want to spend it on the cameras. So the goal reviewers are left with potato slow-motion images to try and determine whether a ball was touched or if it hit the post. Simple as that.

Meanwhile, the AFL appoints an Executive for 3-Quarter Time Oranges and sets him up with a package of $800k plus perks.

Adelaide involved in 3 of the top 5 ratings games so far this season, the AFL needs to stop being so obsessed with "Equalisation" and give teams that rate well on tv the right to play on prime time. As much as clubs like the dogs, saints can whinge they just don't rate at all and are irrelevant.
All of our games have been on Prime Time?

This weekend's game the first one in a poor timeslot.

I would suggest equipping every ground with a camera set up like this for each goal end woukd be a better investment than the AFL spend in China.

Adelaide involved in 3 of the top 5 ratings games so far this season, the AFL needs to stop being so obsessed with "Equalisation" and give teams that rate well on tv the right to play on prime time. As much as clubs like the dogs, saints can whinge they just don't rate at all and are irrelevant.
Also the ye olde faithful methods of give everything to Ess, Coll, Carl has to be ****ed off straight away.

Starting with the season opener and Anzac Day. Follow up by getting rid of the charity rubbish like Queen's Birthday and Anzac Eve for Melbourne.

To be fair, true high-speed cameras create mountains of data and are extremely expensive. At 1,000 frames a second (which is all you'd need in this context) the camera would generate roughly 1-2 gigabytes per second.

That's why those super-slow-motion visions are usually of goal celebrations and final sirens - the cameramen have a cue to start filming for a couple of seconds. The AFL and broadcasters are rich organisations. But to place these cameras (still rather bulky) on the goalposts and have them filming for 2 and a half hours waiting for a goal just wouldn't be feasible with current technology.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those cameras aren't cheap but the AFL certainly is.

They've always been like that. When I was goal umpiring, they refused to put a goalline camera in and argued the best way to check if a ball was touched on the line was from behind the goals at a 90-degree angle to the goal line. A couple of goalies crucified subsequently.

Then when they got money, nothing changed. She's a golden goose, the old AFL.

I would suggest equipping every ground with a camera set up like this for each goal end woukd be a better investment than the AFL spend in China.

My main issue with it is that the AFL have introduced goal reviews, yet refuse to spend money on something that would remove a lot of the grey area currently around it.

Instead they cry poor, suggesting that Channel 7 and Foxtel pay for the cameras. Is the billion dollars a year those networks pay for telecast rights not enough?

To be fair, true high-speed cameras create mountains of data and are extremely expensive. At 1,000 frames a second (which is all you'd need in this context) the camera would generate roughly 1-2 gigabytes per second.

That's why those super-slow-motion visions are usually of goal celebrations and final sirens - the cameramen have a cue to start filming for a couple of seconds. The AFL and broadcasters are rich organisations. But to place these cameras (still rather bulky) on the goalposts and have them filming for 2 and a half hours waiting for a goal just wouldn't be feasible with current technology.
You could turn them on and off, depending on where the ball was on the field. That would reduce the data load considerably.

For example, you don't need any of them recording when the ball is being bounced in the middle of the ground or any time there is a stoppage.

Also the ye olde faithful methods of give everything to Ess, Coll, Carl has to be ****ed off straight away.

Starting with the season opener and Anzac Day. Follow up by getting rid of the charity rubbish like Queen's Birthday and Anzac Eve for Melbourne.
ANZAC day will never be touched, especially with both clubs pulling excess of 90k, I've never understood Melbourne viability in the competition, for over 50 years they've been a basket case, playing in only 2 GF in that time. Them, the bulldogs and st.kilda need to have serious pressure applied to them because quite frankly they don't deserve to be playing in a national competition.

My main issue with it is that the AFL have introduced goal reviews, yet refuse to spend money on something that would remove a lot of the grey area currently around it.

The AFL is one giant grey area and they very rarely deal with anything properly.

Look at the 3rd man up rule in the ruck.

Easy solution: Two players can contest. Team with another player going for the ruck is penalised.

AFL's solution: Two clubs have to have a player nominate to go up for ruck. Then those players have to tell the umpire and it has to be acknowledged. If the umpire doesn't hear that nomination, then one team can't contest the ruck. Any player who nominates and is impeded by opposition players who didn't see/hear the nomination gets a free kick for obstruction.

Sledgehammer, meet nut.

Couldn't they start shooting once the ball is near the goal or once kicked towards goal? And just follow the ball.

In a 120 minute game that would be less than 20 minutes total.

You could turn them on and off, depending on where the ball was on the field. That would reduce the data load considerably.

For example, you don't need any of them recording when the ball is being bounced in the middle of the ground or any time there is a stoppage.
You'd need to very carefully watch the play and turning on the cameras whenever there is a sniff of a goal. Would still be a lot of time running, especially these days with the emphasis on locking the ball in the forward 50. Anyone here with a media background, what are your thoughts?

You'd need to very carefully watch the play and turning on the cameras whenever there is a sniff of a goal. Would still be a lot of time running, especially these days with the emphasis on locking the ball in the forward 50. Anyone here with a media background, what are your thoughts?

The main issue with slow motion cameras is the cameras themselves and all the infrastructure required is extremely expensive. We're talking millions of dollars per ground and even then you wouldn't be replacing every camera with a slow motion version

The main issue with slow motion cameras is the cameras themselves and all the infrastructure required is extremely expensive. We're talking millions of dollars per ground and even then you wouldn't be replacing every camera with a slow motion version
I read on the net that each is about USD 1,000 - 3,000 per day to hire rather than buy, and surely no camera hire company would lend a camera that is liable to be smashed by flying footballs. Also I take it that when you mention infrastructure, that means good cables to get the reams of data from the goalpost to the huge data storage solutions hidden away in the back rooms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back