Autopsy 2018 Rd 16 Bolton's Battered Blues Belted By Brisbane *Play Nice*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring on the Revolution. It’s the only way we can have any hope of moving forward.
Today we are like Fitzroy in the 90’s.
Get real and Get Angry.
Rebel against the system.
We need a high powered group to challenge the Board at the end of the season.
Do you want to go through another year of this?

Also let’s get a coach who actually played AFL football and who, like the Scott brothers, Clarko and Hardwick, have a lot of mongrel in them. Brendan Bolton may have been an acceptable choice 3 years ago but he is no longer appropriate, in every sense including the important PR sense. He looks and sounds like a short secondary school teacher.
Enough.

We are not even close to being FItzroy of the 90's.

They were insolvent, had very few members, no home base and were losing all of their best players to other clubs.

Last edited:
We are not even close fo being FItzroy of the 90's.

They were insolvent, had very few members, no home base and were losing all of their best players to other clubs.
'We're worse than Fitzroy'

'If we don't improve soon, the AFL will send us to Tasmania'

I get we're struggling atm and people are pretty down but some of this shit is cringeworthy

Having just read the last couple of pages of this thread I can see a minority of posters who are responding just as I knew some would when it got a little bit tough this year.

I questioned at the time of Bolton's appointment if all of our supporters would have the stomach for the full rebuild which was promised by him, SOS & the board. Right on cue those who don't have the stomach for it want another coach's scalp, a board challenge & the right to throw their toys out of their cot. 4 coach sackings in 13 years was obviously not enough to appease these supporters.

I asked at the time of Malthouse's sacking how many more sackings will it take for the club to realise you need to give your coach the cattle to work with before you can properly assess their work. Yet despite our playing list being horribly unbalanced, with a lack of quality players in the 24-28 age group, some would have you believe that sacking the coach will suddenly resolve this issue. A new coach will apparently make superstars out of O'Shea, Mullett, Shaw, Graham, Lamb, Kerridge & Wright.

My brain hurts.

Yep spot on...great post !!

You cant put the tooth paste back into the tube...

This is a full blown list re-build/on the back of some terrible drafting some years back..There was always going to be pain...but we cant back out now...cant !!....No sacking coaches...no board challenges..We need to stay the course and look to continually improve. At the present..I feel we are on the bottom of an upside down bell curve...we're right on the bottom..Now...a rebuild on the scale that we're completing translates into that exact position. Bring in the added and unplanned complexity of injuries and we've had a much worse season than many of us can endure.

But stay on course....If the zones arent working...fix it...make the players understand. If they need bigger bodies..work towards our young group putting on a few kilos of muscle and increasing their tank in the off season...Their will be some that will be politely told that their time of playing at the highest level of football is over at the Carlton Football Club, we need to show the respect and start gazing towards and developing a new group for 2019.

If this takes another 1-3 years so be it..If we can do it now..It means we wont go through it again for at least 10-15 years. I doubt the Carlton Football Club will ever undergo a full blown list rebuild on this scale again...

Ah Rowe plays his guts out. Don't pick on him. Who else would make any difference?
he's an honest defender who's capable taking out the opponents best forward and he's done great jobs on some great forwards in the past. But if jones is playing that role then there's no room for rowe, particularly if marchbank and weitering are healthy.

So who would you have played instead?

What would have been your starting 22 on Saturday?
out Phillips, rowe and in mckay and mullet/o'shea. Or if kruezer is under a cloud then bench him for phillips. I know they're not inspiring names, i know there are injuries, but my problem isn't so much with the players as it is the team configuration. They're trying to play a style of defense that relies on pressure up the ground, but there aren't enough players who can apply pressure to make it work.

We live in an age of instant gratification. Us old enough to have witnessed the great years are very lucky. I took success for granted!! Younger Blues supporters stick FAT!!! We had no choice but to go down this road and at the moment it's ****ing bumpy and where riding on the rims! I cannot guarantee this reset will be successful but I at least know in my heart we had a ****ing crack! That'll do me.

We live in an age of instant gratification. Us old enough to have witnessed the great years are very lucky. I took success for granted!! Younger Blues supporters stick FAT!!! We had no choice but to go down this road and at the moment it's ******* bumpy and where riding on the rims! I cannot guarantee this reset will be successful but I at least know in my heart we had a ******* crack! That'll do me.

I think it is easier for us older supporters to take this line because we have seen a lot of success. I feel for and admire the younger supporters who have stuck with the club through the dark years. Hopefully they will be rewarded for their loyalty in the not too distant future.

I think it is easier for us older supporters to take this line because we have seen a lot of success. I feel for and admire the younger supporters who have stuck with the club through the dark years. Hopefully they will be rewarded for their loyalty in the not too distant future.
Beautiful :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

out Phillips, rowe and in mckay and mullet/o'shea. Or if kruezer is under a cloud then bench him for phillips. I know they're not inspiring names, i know there are injuries, but my problem isn't so much with the players as it is the team configuration. They're trying to play a style of defense that relies on pressure up the ground, but there aren't enough players who can apply pressure to make it work.

So in comes O'Shea/Mullet - you can add an extra 4 goals to the opposition immediately..........

I went to the game on the weekend with my old man. Neither of us were expecting a win and we both picked Brisbane, probably by about 4 or 5 goals, so we weren't expecting much. But by god we expected better than that!

Anyway, there was 3 things in particular I noticed.
1. We are waaaay to slow moving the ball by foot. So many times we take a mark and back off the mark so slowly. There's a guy open over the top or down the line, maybe we've got decent numbers inside 50 but need to get it in quick.. nope we're just way to slow. Take the mark, walk back - Every time. There's just no hustle to move the ball on quickly and when that happens Brisbane have time to set up, leading to slow sideways kicks or bombs down the line to outnumbers. Shows the lack of awareness by the players.

2. We overhandball so much. We noted that generally the first 3 or so handballs are good: flicking the ball out of traffic and generally we find someone who is has half a second to kick, but instead of taking the kick we keep handballing. It drove us mental. We couldn't pinpoint whether it was coaching directive to try and handball our way down the pitch or if it was the players themselves not wanting the responsibility of kicking the ball so they just give it to someone else. Either way that needs to be rectified.

3. Brisbane spread much better than we do. This could just be effort based on the day, but every time the ball got outside Brisbane had 2 or 3 guys in the clear without fail they could kick to. Even if it was a bad kick they had the support because they all worked so hard. Us on the other had kept faffing about flicking the handball amongst ourselves until the inevitable bad handball and turnover. Was painful to watch.

Last edited:
Yep spot on...great post !!

You cant put the tooth paste back into the tube...

This is a full blown list re-build/on the back of some terrible drafting some years back..There was always going to be pain...but we cant back out now...cant !!....No sacking coaches...no board challenges..We need to stay the course and look to continually improve. At the present..I feel we are on the bottom of an upside down bell curve...we're right on the bottom..Now...a rebuild on the scale that we're completing translates into that exact position. Bring in the added and unplanned complexity of injuries and we've had a much worse season than many of us can endure.

But stay on course....If the zones arent working...fix it...make the players understand. If they need bigger bodies..work towards our young group putting on a few kilos of muscle and increasing their tank in the off season...Their will be some that will be politely told that their time of playing at the highest level of football is over at the Carlton Football Club, we need to show the respect and start gazing towards and developing a new group for 2019.

If this takes another 1-3 years so be it..If we can do it now..It means we wont go through it again for at least 10-15 years. I doubt the Carlton Football Club will ever undergo a full blown list rebuild on this scale again...

is there a way to triple like a post?

Spot on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the game on the weekend we picked up this forward structure, someway through the 3rd qtr so already down a considerable margin (please, enjoy my beautiful MS paint work):

upload_2018-7-10_8-56-59.png
(The blue obviously Carlton and orange the Lions, even with our numbers [or lack thereof] they still played with 7 back)

I'm sorry, but what the hell is going on here? How exactly are we supposed to score here? Even if we win the clearance we've got no hope. Dad pointed out after the game he was looking to see where the rest of our numbers were and it wasn't obvious. I though maybe we were trying to throw loads of numbers off halfback running through the middle. Weight of numbers going forward and all that. But that wasn't it. Even though we only had a 2 man fwd line there was no real area where we outnumbered them. I don't have any idea what was going on.

Now, obviously I don't go to many games living on the GC, so for those who see us play more, is this common? If so, what, if anything, is the plan? For me there was no plan at all. Just loading numbers back even though we're already down 50 points.

FWIW the bottom blue was Marc Murphy and the top I think was either Lamb or Lang. Murphy in particular looked very unsure about the structure, looking around rather doubfully. It wasn't by chance this happened, it was an obvious structure/plan. The ball ended up being kicked out on the full by us btw after clearing it to the attacking wing. lol.

Having just read the last couple of pages of this thread I can see a minority of posters who are responding just as I knew some would when it got a little bit tough this year.

I questioned at the time of Bolton's appointment if all of our supporters would have the stomach for the full rebuild which was promised by him, SOS & the board. Right on cue those who don't have the stomach for it want another coach's scalp, a board challenge & the right to throw their toys out of their cot. 4 coach sackings in 13 years was obviously not enough to appease these supporters.

I asked at the time of Malthouse's sacking how many more sackings will it take for the club to realise you need to give your coach the cattle to work with before you can properly assess their work. Yet despite our playing list being horribly unbalanced, with a lack of quality players in the 24-28 age group, some would have you believe that sacking the coach will suddenly resolve this issue. A new coach will apparently make superstars out of O'Shea, Mullett, Shaw, Graham, Lamb, Kerridge & Wright.

My brain hurts.
Spot on and excellent post. I would triple like but I cant.

So you would drop Phillips who did pretty well last week? It was an un balanced side for sure however after losing Phillips we lost our second tall forward and that then wrecked us for two qtrs. Give them credit for boxing on in the last after losing another two players with injury.

In the words of J McEnroe - "you can't be serious???????"

Please elaborate what aspect do you disagree?

Make no mistake, BB and SOS are now under intense scrutiny, and if anything next season will be a harder season because experienced players will have to be cut loose. If we start 0-4 next season you will not be able to give away tickets for the remainder of the season.

Guys like Wetering, Petrevski-Seton, Kennedy, Paddy, and others will have to stand up. If not, then we could quite easily find ourselves in a perpetual rebuild mode. Before you know it Cripps and Curnow are out of contract and we are no closer to taking that next step. No doubt Curnow & Cripps are great players, however the gap to the next best is extremely large. The big dilemma is do you give up your number one pick for 2 top ten picks depending upon what players you are targeting? If we stuff up this draft pick we could be paying for it for another decade. If the AFL had a collective brain amongst them they would be telling Carlton that they will receive a priority pick whether they want it or not.

Are you deranged?
Boards don't win matches which we discovered after 15 years of high powered business people on the respective Boards at Carlton.
The irony is that a few years ago Dusty walked away from Richmond, and no one wanted him. I still recall thinking sign him up. A ready made midfielder who knows how to find the ball. Every club baulked for whatever reason and for once Richmond dodged a bullet. No dusty, no 2017 or 2018 flag. Richmond could have signed up Buddy but went for a midfielder. Luck and shrewd judgments play a very important part in this caper.

My brain hurts.

While I'm not calling for Bolton to go our President is a nothing, a nobody to the fans. Club is looking woeful to the football World and many of our fans and he's where?

Supposed to be the leader of the club yet he's rarely seen or heard from. A totally uninspiring person who should be out there in the media talking to the fans and be seen to be supporting Bolton.

If we can't do better than this bloke for President then we're struggling.

So how much would you overpay to get him to Carlton?
Wouldn't. Save the $ for the war chest this off-season. I was responding to someone bemoaning the O'Sheas and Mullets playing. They're plugging temporary gaps until we hopefully bring in serious mid-aged talent.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

No let’s be prepared to get angry with the AFL establishment. The AFL needs to understand that Carlton isn’t St Kilda.
We will play along with the current system only for so long.
If the system turns out, for whatever reasons, to not meet its own objectives and we don’t improve then we have to become more aggressive and assertive.
That's different from sacking the coach and starting again....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

While I'm not calling for Bolton to go our President is a nothing, a nobody to the fans. Club is looking woeful to the football World and many of our fans and he's where?

Supposed to be the leader of the club yet he's rarely seen or heard from. A totally uninspiring person who should be out there in the media talking to the fans and be seen to be supporting Bolton.

If we can't do better than this bloke for President then we're struggling.
I can definitely tell you that MLG was talking to the fans (not via the media) in Brisbane on Saturday. My son had a good chat with him at the pre-match function, as I understand did other Carlton supporters who were present at the function. I have noted other posters on here also indicating that they have had an opportunity to talk with MLG in person at various stages this season & in the past.

You will have no doubt noticed that our CEO Cain Liddle has been involved in a number of media interviews this year, as well as putting out emails to members providing updates of what is happening at the club. There would be no need for MLG to be doubling up with the same information.

I'm not really sure what more you are looking for from MLG, perhaps you would like to see him hosting an afternoon quiz show or diabolical footy show. How about commentating for Channel 7 or Fox Footy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back