News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2018: St Kilda could be set for mass off-field changes at the end of the season
AFL
  • August 15, 2018 6:26am
  • by Staff Writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
22586a9635c7aea694bf2b2ddaca547e

There could be mass off-field changes at St Kilda over the off-season.Source: Getty Images
VETERAN AFL journalist Caroline Wilson has warned things at St Kilda could “completely erupt” after the season as tensions inside the club at both administration and board level threaten to boilover.

After approaching the 2018 season with high expectations, the Saints have produced just four wins and a draw, ensuring they’re facing a bottom-four place at the end of Round 23.

And according to Wilson, the scene seems just as shaky off the field for the Saints, who still carry one of the biggest financial debts in the AFL, which is believed to be in excess of $10 million.

LIVE Stream every match of every round of the 2018 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. SIGN UP NOW >

Round 22
“There’s the tension with the AFL, there’s the tension with the fixture and how they’re affecting the fixture, there’s political tension now with the board and then you’ve got the tension with (chief executive) Matt Finnis and (football boss) Simon Lethlean,” Wilson told 3AW’s Sportsday.

“Hold your fire, (because in) 10 days’ time it’s going to erupt. I think it’ll completely erupt.”

dbb18e6271044a018227853f2311a11f

St Kilda president Peter Summers.Source: News Corp Australia
THE BOARD

Wilson said the most significant off-field change during the off-season would occur at board level.

President Peter Summers could be forced to step down one year ahead of schedule, with Wilson alleging that factions were being formed in a bid to oust Summers.

“I think it’s a power struggle going on at the St Kilda footy club, certainly at board level within and without the board,” Wilson said.

READ MORE

TRADE WHISPERS: EAGLES’ BID FOR VETERAN, SUNS EYE FRINGE CAT

REVEALED: FULL SQUAD OF BEST AFL YOUNG STARS FOR 2018

“What we do know is there will be pressure on Peter Summers to step down a year before his term says he should step down. And there is strong opposition as to who should be the next president.

“There’s a faction backing Jim Watts, the former (St Kilda) CEO and former AFL consultant. There’s a faction backing (Seek co-founder) Andrew Bassat.

“There is certainly a view that most of the board, or a large proportion of the board, needs to move on. We think Andrew Thompson, long time footy director, is probably going to step down at the end of the year and we also know now that most of the board believe Peter Summers has to go.

“They’re also going to sack a few of themselves as well.”

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE OF THE FOX FOOTY PODCAST BELOW, OR TAP HERE TO SUBSCRIBE IN ITUNES

THE COACH

It was revealed on Monday night that a loophole in coach Alan Richardson’s contract could give the Saints a window to end his tenure a year early.

In October 2017, the Saints signed their senior coach until the end of the 2020 season, while football boss Simon Lethlean recently backed Richardson to coach next year.

But Richardson’s job in 2020 season is dependent upon a performance-based trigger clause in 2019.

Wilson said it would be unlikely that the Saints would move on Richardson prior to the 2019 season, especially considering the club’s debt.

But she added that a bad start to the 2019 season “could be a complete disaster” for Richardson.

f205968667a70bf6598ec250812bca2e

Alan Richardson, coach of the Saints.Source: Getty Images
“This is a footy club that thrives on footy success. St Kilda need to be successful on the field,” Wilson said.

“We all like Alan Richardson, but it just hasn’t happened for him. I know they were only a game or so outside of the eight a couple of seasons ago, but it’s just been appalling what’s happened.

“On balance, even though it’s getting pretty dire, I think with the new team around him, perhaps he does deserve one more year.

“The list management just hasn’t been good, neither has the recruiting.

THE FOOTBALL BOSS

Lethlean came in as the club’s new, objective eyes and ears ahead of the 2018 season, joining St Kilda as the new head of football.

But he joined the Saints after being sounded out for a few AFL club chief executive roles — and Wilson believes the lure of being a CEO still looms large for Lethlean.

“The elephant in the room is Simon Lethlean, who wanted to be a club CEO, missed out on the Carlton job and knocked back the interview for the Bulldogs job and ended up at St Kilda,” Wilson said.

e98fc2ec6d2170a7a0427fd7380bd56d

AFL footy operations manager Steven Hocking with Saints general manager of football Simon Lethlean. Picture: Michael KleinSource: News Corp Australia
“Depending on who you talk to, there’s a view that Simon Lethlean would be the man to take over as the CEO of St Kilda.

“I’m not so sure about that. He’s never been a CEO. I would say you might need someone with more experience — and I’m not saying Matt Finnis is gone.”

Wilson said there was tension between Finnis and the AFL, as it’s the league’s view that not enough has been done to clear the Saints’ large debt.

Just another day at RSEA Park.

Also just noticed on the Hun online for those of you who are subscribers.....GT has now of course weighed in potting the club.

Was wondering where he was.

I hope it does not affect our sponsors.

We need backing of our sponsors.

And I think this is a time we as a supporters should back our club and sign up for membership next year.

Without our support, club will go in more debts which we don't want. We all love our club and now is a time to back our club.

Last edited:
Gringo mate take it easy with Carlton are good we are bad stuff.

They ain’t bottomed out Simpson , Kreuzer , Murphy , Rowe , Thomas ....all done and they are holding them
together .

Stkilda have had bad year but fair dinkum Carlisle Steele Membrey Billings Steven Ross

Would walk into their team , Caroline Wilson give me a break she only knows how to be the grim
reaper on Schoolgirl stories that’s her calling.

I'm just trying to point out that we need a priority pick more than the others. GC will have a heap of high picks again after a decade of getting them. Carlton are just not a balanced list. We need help to boost our top end talent.

I actually think was we do have going for us is a competitive spirit that those teams seem to have lost. Our limited mid career players who give as much as they have every game get shit canned on here by they are why we aren't Carlton or GC. My fear is if we don't start drafting high end talent it will be a slow process to rise back up the ladder.

Getting Hanners and down grading our pick should be banned by the board. We can't attract Kelly (pick 2 or pick 9 Christian Salem), Dusty (pick 3- if we had pick 9 instead Andrew Moore), Buddy (pick 5 or 9 was Jordan Russell etc so we need to draft those types. We have a much higher chance or getting a star if we use that top 5 pick. Even Gaff was a top 5 pick. You are a lot more likely to get stars in that range.

Thanks for posting Premium...…..it's a sobering read.

Gee...I could do with a little bit of good news at the moment.

It's just a bombardment of bad news.

Was always coming. You can't fall and no one notice.

Our off season is Gunna be great fun.

Pity I fly out of Oz for 5 weeks the day after our last game.

Apparently they don't have Interwebs overseas

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree.
Happy to clean out majority of these useless campaigners.

Roberton returns to training
583418-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Dylan Roberton returned to full training with the rest of his teammates on Tuesday afternoon.

With so much shade over this thread it was nice to see a bit of light
Roberton was sorely missed this year.
His sure ball use and preparedness to take risks out of the backline is an absolute asset we could have well used this season
Let us hope he is right to go next season!

Roberton returns to training
583418-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Dylan Roberton returned to full training with the rest of his teammates on Tuesday afternoon.

With so much shade over this thread it was nice to see a bit of light
Roberton was sorely missed this year.
His sure ball use and preparedness to take risks out of the backline is an absolute asset we could have well used this season
Let us hope he is right to go next season!

Yeah, we missed him a lot. He was nearly our best player last year.

Yeah, we missed him a lot. He was nearly our best player last year.
i think it gets forgotten quiet easily on here the impact Robbo has on our side ... him being out all year has hurt us big time with him in our team i reckon we would not be in as much poo as we are this season ... ill even add Bruce into that conversation as well .. although his form was scratchy before his injurys i reckon having him out there for most of our games at the very least make life easier for our other forwards ... really looking at our list if you were to look at the players you can least afford to lose for the season those two would only be marginly behind Steven and Jake in my opinion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope it does not affect our sponsors.

We need backing of our sponsors.
I was thinking of that this morning.

Can't help but wonder after all the negative media coverage ….are some of them sitting back thinking WTF!

You'd like to think the club would be in touch with them allaying any of their concerns......good luck with that.

Reminds me of the Jake Carlisle line in the sand moment.....I mean having a line on the table moment......and the subsequent firestorm....Caro reported the club called all the sponsors in and explained the situation.

She said none of them blinked.

She said that the club is like it's on another planet at that point of time....it's nothing like it was 5 years prior.

Think we're back to the "five years prior"

oe name i would like to see linked to the club be it in a board level or an executive level would be Luke Ball .... has AFL PA background is a very cool headed customer and i think would be an ideal man to bring into the discussion
We should force him into the draft. I don’t want to trade.

i think it gets forgotten quiet easily on here the impact Robbo has on our side ... him being out all year has hurt us big time with him in our team i reckon we would not be in as much poo as we are this season ... ill even add Bruce into that conversation as well .. although his form was scratchy before his injurys i reckon having him out there for most of our games at the very least make life easier for our other forwards ... really looking at our list if you were to look at the players you can least afford to lose for the season those two would only be marginly behind Steven and Jake in my opinion
Agree. I think Robbo is captain material but missing this season and with him needing to concentrate on his health he probably won't get that role. Bruce is underrated for the life, spirit and courage he brings to the game. I think he lifts the players around him because they know he'll have a crack at the ball. He creates opportunities for others.

oe name i would like to see linked to the club be it in a board level or an executive level would be Luke Ball .... has AFL PA background is a very cool headed customer and i think would be an ideal man to bring into the discussion

Future CEO material i think. If he and Rooey become involved at board level, I think we will be in safe hands.

Just another day at RSEA Park.

Also just noticed on the Hun online for those of you who are subscribers.....GT has now of course weighed in potting the club.

Was wondering where he was.
I agree with what Grant had to say. I think the club has overall gotten off lightly so far this season, but seems to be all blowing up now. GT is not one to be backwards in expressing his opinion.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

What's yr thoughts VDS66 on Watts.....and also Bassett.

Your obviously saying you believe Watts would be the most effective of the 2 as the new Prez.
Don't know much about Bassett at a footy level.

Whereas Watts has experience.

Just not 100% sure about wealthy messiahs. Still traumatised from the Fox era.

Nicky Dal on SEN with Andy Maher right now laying into the preparation / standards and development etc at the Saints today in comparison to what they went through.

Absolutely fascinating insight to hear and a huge indictment on the club as to how much better the development is at a lot of other clubs.

Essential listening. ( Hope someone at the club is also listening) Please can someone download the link?

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back