News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

oe name i would like to see linked to the club be it in a board level or an executive level would be Luke Ball .... has AFL PA background is a very cool headed customer and i think would be an ideal man to bring into the discussion

Unfortunately Luke Ball signed up with Essendon in January this year - Manager, People Performance, at the Bombers.

Yes that’s why I really think the better 3/4/5 year players should be largely untouchable. They have not had the great development we were expecting from a supposedly excellent development coach.
The other thing Dal said was the appointment he really wanted to see was a skills coach. Spot on, we’ve all said ad nauseum how bad our skills are!

You just kind of assume that's part of what every club would be doing.We seem to have a skill deficiency but it could be decision making under pressure as much as anything.

You just kind of assume that's part of what every club would be doing.We seem to have a skill deficiency but it could be decision making under pressure as much as anything.

Could be....but that’s assuming we can hit our targets under no pressure the majority of the time though. Our skills are terrible.

It's fine for Dal to get on the radio and reminisce (back in my day....) but where is the legacy from his generation?? Great, Stephen Powell taught you how to prepare and taught you resiliency, but who did you teach?? Our younger leaders (Ross/Newnes etc) were at the club before Dal left. And all bar about 6 blokes were there at the same time as Roo and Joey.

Or is it solely the fault of Armo/Steven/Gilbert/Gears for not ushering in this generation

For all of the joy our modern day "Golden Generation" gave us, we got pick 1 and 2 (Roo and Kosi) after finishing 16th with 2 wins in 2000, so we sacked our coach, changed our president, and in the AFL's hands because of our massive debt. We're now 10 days away from finishing 16th with 4 wins, probably sacking our coach, probably changing our president, and in the AFL's hands because of our massive debt. If the measure of success is "leaving the place in better shape than you found it", that generation failed.

It's fine for Dal to get on the radio and reminisce (back in my day....) but where is the legacy from his generation?? Great, Stephen Powell taught you how to prepare and taught you resiliency, but who did you teach?? Our younger leaders (Ross/Newnes etc) were at the club before Dal left. And all bar about 6 blokes were there at the same time as Roo and Joey.

Or is it solely the fault of Armo/Steven/Gilbert/Gears for not ushering in this generation

For all of the joy our modern day "Golden Generation" gave us, we got pick 1 and 2 (Roo and Kosi) after finishing 16th with 2 wins in 2000, so we sacked our coach, changed our president, and in the AFL's hands because of our massive debt. We're now 10 days away from finishing 16th with 4 wins, probably sacking our coach, probably changing our president, and in the AFL's hands because of our massive debt. If the measure of success is "leaving the place in better shape than you found it", that generation failed.

He probably did it for North instead. Goddard they were saying has played nearly as many as an Essendon player now. Pretty sad we let some of the guns of that era leave.

Some good points. I don't know that we lost a lot in leadership by losing Dal, but I wonder what the difference would have been if we kept the finger pointer (Goddard), although to do so was going to cost us a lot of money.

In the main I think we have gone through a void that once it was created, was going to be hard to miss the repurcussions of. The void was created when we were at our peak, but not having any youngsters coming through. Of course leadership, development, setting standards, having a winning culture, are all part of the mix, but we are just reaping now what was sewn a long time ago.

I completely disagree with the media who are now saying that we should have kept Rooey and Montagna for an extra year. Not just because Rooey was absolutely cooked, but because most of the group had enough time with him that they had every chance to benefit from his leadership. Having this year where no one appears to be standing up, I think will still provide benefits next year and the year after, as long as we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. That doesn't mean I don't wish we weren't performing better, and in growing leaders better, and creating a winning culture, and creating expectations, and a place people want to be in, but it is what it is.

Opportunities for future leaders to fill the void abound, and some will sink, so they can be moved on, and some will swim.

I will enjoy any carnage in coming weeks/months (as long as Billings is not traded), and see the tide turning faster than if we had of had a beige year instead of a crap year.

Some good points. I don't know that we lost a lot in leadership by losing Dal, but I wonder what the difference would have been if we kept the finger pointer (Goddard), although to do so was going to cost us a lot of money.

In the main I think we have gone through a void that once it was created, was going to be hard to miss the repurcussions of. The void was created when we were at our peak, but not having any youngsters coming through. Of course leadership, development, setting standards, having a winning culture, are all part of the mix, but we are just reaping now what was sewn a long time ago.

I completely disagree with the media who are now saying that we should have kept Rooey and Montagna for an extra year. Not just because Rooey was absolutely cooked, but because most of the group had enough time with him that they had every chance to benefit from his leadership. Having this year where no one appears to be standing up, I think will still provide benefits next year and the year after, as long as we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. That doesn't mean I don't wish we weren't performing better, and in growing leaders better, and creating a winning culture, and creating expectations, and a place people want to be in, but it is what it is.

Opportunities for future leaders to fill the void abound, and some will sink, so they can be moved on, and some will swim.

I will enjoy any carnage in coming weeks/months (as long as Billings is not traded), and see the tide turning faster than if we had of had a beige year instead of a crap year.
Mate that's gotta be a record for the most cliches in one post. ;)

The year we had to have?
Better sooner than later I suppose. Complete overestimation of where our list is at, and underestimation of the leadership vacuum created by the loss of Roo and Joey.

Just another day at RSEA Park.

Also just noticed on the Hun online for those of you who are subscribers.....GT has now of course weighed in potting the club.

Was wondering where he was.
Yep, was waiting for GT to put his 2 cents worth in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In what way?
We have gone backwards massively this year, the list has pretty much no-one (except Gresh) with star quality on it, hardly any trade value, everyone can see our coach shouldn't be there, we've already sacked assistants and now board members have started to resign.

The media isn't making up or building this story into something it isnt. We are in a shit place right now and they are talking about it, and I'm happy they are.

We aren't special, Port in their tarps days copped it, Brisbane copped it, Carlton continue too and essendon rightfully copped it massively. If anything we normally get let off lightly from the media due to being a smaller club. Getting everything we deserve right now.
Yep spot-on.

If you look at the fact we are tracking for less wins than in our last wooden spoon season in 2014 when we are starting out the re-build......says it all really. If we weren't copping heat it would be a massive oversight by the media and football public, especially when people in high positions throughout our club were talking up our list and top 4 potential before the season started.

Last edited:
Yep spot-on.

If you look at the fact we are tracking for less wins than in our last wooden spoon season in 2014 when we are starting out the re-build......says it all really. If we weren't copping heat it would be a massive oversight by the media and football public, especially when people in high positions throughout our club were talking up our list and top 4 potential before the season started.
We won 4 games in 2014. You're thinking of 2013 where we won 5 due to Fremantle resting half their team in the final round.

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back