Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
2MP is a much much better footballer than Marshall. But we should be focusing on a quality midfielder instead of worrying about another key forward.

Agree. Unless Peter Wright can ruck full time I wouldn't be putting much effort into him. We need quality mids but im now thinking our ruck may be our biggest problem and needs addressing urgently.

Agree. Unless Peter Wright can ruck full time I wouldn't be putting much effort into him. We need quality mids but im now thinking our ruck may be our biggest problem and needs addressing urgently.

We need mids and a ruck and some smaller fire power. I'm still so pissed off we went after Clavarino and Austin with our second and third round picks this year and lit looks like we are trying to get the two Mc Governs so as good as burnt the two picks anyway if that happens. Also says Goddard is already written off. Most people would have understood if we'd gone after a pressing need like mids.

In all seriousness.

What's your problem?

You crack the shits and tell us you're leaving.

Then you come back.

You either want to engage or you don't.

My post was a respectful reply to yours.

Then you come out with the captain obvious comment.

So what do you expect?

Its not my problem 90% of the forum think the same. You and your pack dogs posts often have sarcastic connetations to them. It must make you feel superior or something Im not sure!

There is no chance Gaff or McGovern comes without a trade. WC match any offers and force a trade.

Compensation won't be worth it for either.

I don’t think they can match any offer north of $1m

And just a reminder that no club has ever matched a free agent offer ever.

No not Dangerfield either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has there been much discussion around Scott Lycett? Has had a very good year, OOC playing second ruck to Nic Nat. If we offered him 600k, would West Coast match it?

Agree we have given both Longer & Hickey enough time to show they can improve but neither have. Hickey doesnt have the body or strength and Longer doesnt have the ability or work ethic.

Lycett would be a viable alternative and then we could trade one of either Longer or Hickey and retain the other as backup. The other bonus with Lycett is he can play forward so when Marshall gets going we could play them in tandem.

I don’t think they can match any offer north of $1m

And just a reminder that no club has ever matched a free agent offer ever.

No not Dangerfield either.

They would do it anyway to force a trade if it maximized their return. As Adelaide did with Danger.

Has there been much discussion around Scott Lycett? Has had a very good year, OOC playing second ruck to Nic Nat. If we offered him 600k, would West Coast match it?
I agree that a classy dominant ruckman would help our list but I can't see Lycett filling that role. If you compare his statistics against Hickey they are very similar, albeit Lycett has more scoreboard impact, and when you compare his stats against Longer, he is better in a lot of areas, but Billy is a much better tap ruckman. Our ruckman are not brilliant by AFL standards but we should not trade them if cannot improve the situation. Better the devil you know as they say. We desperately need one or two classy midfielders and our lack of high end trade picks probably means we have to focus on this area and the ruck becomes a secondary focus

I agree that a classy dominant ruckman would help our list but I can't see Lycett filling that role. If you compare his statistics against Hickey they are very similar, albeit Lycett has more scoreboard impact, and when you compare his stats against Longer, he is better in a lot of areas, but Billy is a much better tap ruckman. Our ruckman are not brilliant by AFL standards but we should not trade them if cannot improve the situation. Better the devil you know as they say. We desperately need one or two classy midfielders and our lack of high end trade picks probably means we have to focus on this area and the ruck becomes a secondary focus

I’m at the stage that I’d rather Gilbert ruck.

all good points, however, as Plugger has stated, gun campaigners like Clarkson are looking 2-3 years ahead - game trends, potential rule changes, team structures etc. Maybe McCartin's body shape & game style just isn't suited to the modern game.

In 2018 i hope we wouldn't recruit another McCartin-type.
Totally see your point, and while I agree re whether or not you'd draft a McCartin type right now, the simple fact is we have him, and should be finding the best way to utilize him, as I doubt we'd get anything worth while in a trade for him, for the exact same reasons as why we would trade him. I think Paddy still has potential, and I think that he can reach that 40 goal a year mark if he is properly coached and has better structures around him, and I think that he has other aspects to offer that while not elite, are worth more to our team than say a pick between 20 and 25 (using Schache as an example for worth). He is good on the lead when there is space around him, and he is a good field kick. I just hope that we can focus on the positives with him moving forward, as it would go a long way to getting the best out of him

This is my argument re Paddy & the fact he was pick 1..
He average's less than 10 disposals, 5 marks, 1 goal, 1 tackle a game, after 4yrs & 35 games is a below average return for any forward player..
His inability to apply pressure in today's style of game, is a glaring weakness that'll never improve with his lack of agility & reflexes..
In 4 games from Josh Battle, he's clearly going to be a superior player today & in the future..
Strip Paddy of the label of pick 1, & he wouldn't get a game anywhere on current form..
How long do we wait for a breakout game??

One more week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hickey is serviceable. He has his shortcomings but he would be adequate if given a decent run at it.

Unfortunately the club seems to rate Longer higher. May as well trade Hickey at this point as they are never going to accept he is a better player than Longer.

Additionally, he will have some value on the market whereas Longer has zero because other clubs will see what is painfully obvious. Immobile ruckman with no skills are a liability.

Post Richo, Longer will never play again.

all good points, however, as Plugger has stated, gun campaigners like Clarkson are looking 2-3 years ahead - game trends, potential rule changes, team structures etc. Maybe McCartin's body shape & game style just isn't suited to the modern game.

In 2018 i hope we wouldn't recruit another McCartin-type.

Cue Clarko recruits Paddy & we all shit ourselves

They would do it anyway to force a trade if it maximized their return. As Adelaide did with Danger.

If a club doesn’t have TPP room to fit a FA offer they can’t force a trade.

Danger announced he planned to leave but didn’t officially enter free agency. In light of the Phil Walsh tragedy Geelong decided to trade instead of trying to get Dangerfield for free.

Adelaide didn’t ever have to match or force a trade. They got Pick 9 & 27 plus Dean Gore instead of just Pick 13.

Geelong’s goodwill allowed Danger to change teams without free agency ever being enacted.

If a club doesn’t have TPP room to fit a FA offer they can’t force a trade.

Danger announced he planned to leave but didn’t officially enter free agency. In light of the Phil Walsh tragedy Geelong decided to trade instead of trying to get Dangerfield for free.

Adelaide didn’t ever have to match or force a trade. They got Pick 9 & 27 plus Dean Gore instead of just Pick 13.

Geelong’s goodwill allowed Danger to change teams without free agency ever being enacted.

I was a ploy by Geelong to keep him on a lower wage. They never offered big money and negotiated with Adelaide to not get into a bidding war. He went for supposedly $200,000 than what he was offered elsewhere and was happy to take less and wait for a TPP increase which was factored into his contract.

I think Paddy still has potential, and I think that he can reach that 40 goal a year mark if he is properly coached and has better structures around him

40 goals a year is not going to be enough to keep a player like Paddy in the team. His defensive contribution is such a liability that he really has to be 60 to 70 plus to warrant a place ie he has to be an elite goal kicker.

40 goals a year is not going to be enough to keep a player like Paddy in the team. His defensive contribution is such a liability that he really has to be 60 to 70 plus to warrant a place ie he has to be an elite goal kicker.
Mate he's a full forward. Let the defensive forwards worry about that stuff. End of the day if he can end up kicking his 2-3 goals a week and take a few grabs, he's comfortable in any side.

Mate he's a full forward. Let the defensive forwards worry about that stuff. End of the day if he can end up kicking his 2-3 goals a week and take a few grabs, he's comfortable in any side.

2to 3 goals a game is a bit different to 40 in a year. Its 44 to 66 and that's pretty much what the other poster said. Well the top end is. Also footy is like in the 90's. Paddy has to do more than kick goals because so much attacking play is set up by poor defensive work of forwards. I honestly think Paddy starts a game in the negative because of his poor defensive work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back