List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we ended with;

Hannebery, Kent, Setterfield with pick 4, 38ish ( Hickey ) then i'm pretty happy. Keeping next years first will be just as important as well.

I think Setterfield is going to Carlton, we probably get Scrimshaw though. I want us to take 4 to the draft, Hanners had better not cost pick 4 in anyway or I don’t renew our memberships.

I highly doubt it. What if he chooses Hawthorn, are they going to have to pony up more than the equivalent of pick 4- which would be both their next two first rounders, and then some? Very much doubt it, especially if they're the ones pushing him out and he wants to actually stay there, as some are saying.
JOM was basically a cripple when they went after him yet they still had to give up two first rounders, so yes I have no doubt they’d have to give up the same again. A proven gun for one draft pick is not going to get it done.

I think Setterfield is going to Carlton, we probably get Scrimshaw though. I want us to take 4 to the draft, Hanners had better not cost pick 4 in anyway or I don’t renew our memberships.
Common Gringo you don't have to think the worst of the club all the time. Not one person is saying Hanners is costing pick 4. If we use it for a player its going to be Shiel quality. By the way would you take 4 to the draft if we took King?

Why do you keep going down that path? Been said on countless times it won't.
BTW if it did, that would end it for thousands.
The club is not suicidal

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

BTW, I don't really want Townsend, just love the way anyone linked to us is shit canned.
Jesus Christ, betcha Caddy and Prestia were shit canned in 2016 but were perfect for the team balance.

I think I'm the main one shit canning him mate and I'm happy with Hannebery and Kent.

The thing with Townsend is that he doesn't seem right for team balance at all.

I think I'm the main one shit canning him mate and I'm happy with Hannebery and Kent.

The thing with Townsend is that he doesn't seem right for team balance at all.
Well fair enough.

Trade week is a week off. Think we will all be ga ga by then.
ATM we have Hanners, Kent and #4.

Still a better result than last year already

I'm pretty happy with Hanners coming across and I can get behind Kent. I just don't see it with Townsend.

As others have said he'd likely be cheap so wouldn't be losing too much I just dont think he'll change much on field

Maverick may be too physically exhausted to be an AFL player these days after breaking up with his long term girl. Fair to say the little black book getting a fair work out.

Apparently they couldn’t see eye to eye.

Crazy how GWS are going from being this looming monster that will eventually win all the flags to being fairly middle of the pack.

Don't get me wrong they've got a decent shot but Melbourne have a better system and midfield now and it seems every season more and more players leave GWS that they can't replace.

If they lose Shiel this year and assuming Kelly leaves then they'll have: Ward, Scully, Hopper, Cogs, Whitfield, Setterfield ?, Perryman? and maybe Taranto.

That's still a fantastic and deep midfield but damn at least teams can compete with them.

There was a bloke on the main board that made a post saying that GWS best shot of winning a flag was with Mummy and Shaw in their peak along with their young guns. He got laughed at but honestly he was spot on.

BTW, I don't really want Townsend, just love the way anyone linked to us is shit canned.
Jesus Christ, betcha Caddy and Prestia were shit canned in 2016 but were perfect for the team balance.

Plenty balked at the price of Prestia but lots wanted him. Caddy is a shock to everyone, Geelong fans were eager to off load him. He was like another Jordan Murdoch there. Richmond turned him into a gun forward. He was an average mid utility with limited pace at the Cats and fans hated that he’d cost them so much to trade.

I'm pretty happy with Hanners coming across and I can get behind Kent. I just don't see it with Townsend.

As others have said he'd likely be cheap so wouldn't be losing too much I just dont think he'll change much on field

3 players who can actually stick a tackle wouldn't go astray. Not a huge fan of Townsend but if he can bring a bit of Richmond fwd line pressure and structure, then it cant hurt for 2 years on not much cash and only costing us a 4th rounder i assume.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is but im guessing he meant in the centre because Billings was playing wing and many were whinging on here that he should play in his best position which was HFF. I would play him wing as well but this is a case of the coach cant win with supporters.

As I think you’ve said before, once the ball is bounced there’s probably 10 blokes that run around as ‘midfielders’.

JB was played predominantly as a half forward in every game that I attended (probably 10 this year). While he was inconsistent, I think that had more to do with how haphazardly the ball was coming out of stoppages (when it came out our way at all).

As I’ve said before, as much as having outside run & carry is needed, we still need a big inside bull who can get the ball & break away (or at least feed it out with some accuracy).

I like the sound of Setterfield as a value trade if we can get him to commit to us. He’s a big body that would compliment Steele and Hannebery.

JB, Acres, Sincas & a few others with run and kicking ability () can hold the fort until we develop a quality outside mid or trade one in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dubrovnik was great in 1986, so was Venice.
Both infested with tourists nowadays.

I think Venice has had that for 400 years but at least it’s just after the main tourist season now. I hate other tourists, I’m happier on a remote island than amongst the cattle.

Genuinely wouldn't have a clue mate.

Was more speaking of if we want a mature body I'd take Lamb over Townsend. Especially after he was strongly linked last season.

In an ideal world we don't take either but you just don't know with St Kilda

Sadly I don’t think Lamb has the work ethic or attitude to ever get on an AFL list again.

Townsend is a virtual opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 players who can actually stick a tackle wouldn't go astray. Not a huge fan of Townsend but if he can bring a bit of Richmond fwd line pressure and structure, then it cant hurt for 2 years on not much cash and only costing us a 4th rounder i assume.
In my opinion I don't think we need to recruit average footballers in to apply forward pressure. This is something that should be coached to our forwards, just as it was to Richmond's. I can tell you Townsend wasn't a pressure forward when he played at Leeton or the Giants.

View attachment 566930 Just saw this...I’ve got no view really...he wants more midfield time...
Not opposed to him but all comes down to cost. My bet is they would want a second rounder. If we can trade Dunstan or Hickey for a second would happily bring him in. Has played predominantly outside this year and been alright. Only 25 I think.

The vast majority of our A list players in the GF era were drafted prior to 2004.

Id venture to say our drafting and trading from 2004-20111 was horrendous and its a big part of why we find ourselves where we are now

The prior years drafting before 04/2011 is similar to the last two years currently ( early picks )
The years below are drafts and trade ins that were useful to us or other clubs .
When you run your eye over the years it’s interesting .
2004. Horrendous.
2005 poor. Added Sam Gilbert
2006. Armitage. Traded in. Gardener
2007. McEvoy , Steven. Traded in King , Schneider, Dempster
2008 T Lynch, R Stanley. Traded in Ray
2009. F@#k up Traded in Peake
2010. Cripps
2011. Ross , Newnes , Webster

In my opinion I don't think we need to recruit average footballers in to apply forward pressure. This is something that should be coached to our forwards, just as it was to Richmond's. I can tell you Townsend wasn't a pressure forward when he played at Leeton or the Giants.
Fair call. If we are bringing him in as a marking medium fwd then I have no idea what is going on as we have Membrey and Battle for that plus Acres drifting fwd.

Surprised we haven't been linked to Setterfiled. He makes more sense than Scrimshaw I think.

Hard to work out what either would be worth in a trade though. I wouldn't want to pay a big price for either.
Would cost a lot and is a major injury concern. I’d go to the draft with 4.

The prior years drafting before 04/2011 is similar to the last two years currently ( early picks )
The years below are drafts and trade ins that were useful to us or other clubs .
When you run your eye over the years it’s interesting .
2004. Horrendous.
2005 poor. Added Sam Gilbert
2006. Armitage. Traded in. Gardener
2007. McEvoy , Steven. Traded in King , Schneider, Dempster
2008 T Lynch, R Stanley. Traded in Ray
2009. F@#k up Traded in Peake
2010. Cripps
2011. Ross , Newnes , Webster

So from 8 drafts we have five players remaining in our best 22, of which only one is A Grade. Weve traded out McEvoy Stanley Lynch and Cripps and none of the resultant picks have landed us an A Grade player. That aint great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back