List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adelaide with Sloane , Gibbs , Crouch & Crouch , Yolmen , Douglas
To be fair - Gibbs is outside mid, Sloane is 29, Douglas is 32, Yolmen is 50/50 and BC is injured a lot.

"Are you going after Dan Hannebery?"
Richo: "Oh I leave that up to our list management team but we're after any good player"

"Is Geelong going after Jack Steven?"
Richo: "No no definitely not"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

good heads up

gary rohan to geelong is interesting. they have just as much salary cap pressure as the swans. they cant afford daulhaus, rohan and steven. hell how are they affording daulhaus and rohan?

hanners to us for a 2nd you would probably do from our perspective, bit of a risk but meh, could be another armo :-(
He already is. He's slow, needs a jab to play and can't build his fitness properly in the preseason because of his OP.
Unlike Armo though he butchers the ball and doesn't go in when it's his turn. If this seems a little rancorous then spend half an hour on Sydney's board to see what supporters who've watched every game for the past two years think of him.

FMD. Why on earth would either Adelaide club want an extra midfielder who can't kick and can't make the firsts for a club that ran third last and has a shocking list.

I'd be keeping Dunstan and Acres..

Trading out a ruck and a tall fwd.

Going into next year I'd like the look of

B- Gears Brown Roberton
HB- Webster Carlisle Coffield
C- Billings Steele Acres
HF- RANKINE Bruce Gresham
FF- Steven Battle Membrey
R- Marshall Ross Clark
Int- HANNEBERY Dunstan Sinclair White

I've definitely forgotten blokes but I think the smaller fwd line would suit us, only question is the inclusions we see from draft and trades etc..

He already is. He's slow, needs a jab to play and can't build his fitness properly in the preseason because of his OP.
Unlike Armo though he butchers the ball and doesn't go in when it's his turn. If this seems a little rancorous then spend half an hour on Sydney's board to see what supporters who've watched every game for the past two years think of him.
That's not an indication most posters on this forum bag there own players especially if on the trade table all clubs posters see there players in a negative light unless you win a flag.

B- Gears Brown Roberton
C- Billings Steele Acres
R- Marshall Ross Clark

I've definitely forgotten blokes but I think the smaller fwd line would suit us, only question is the inclusions we see from draft and trades etc..
Would not surprise me if Gold Coast go after Dunstan - if he went they have pick 17 , which would drop to 19 due to the Lynch trade and Ppick
or if its the Crows want him they have 19 , which would drop to 21

That's not an indication most posters on this forum bag there own players especially if on the trade table all clubs posters see there players in a negative light unless you win a flag.
Okay. Let's say that's right.
Firstly there are plenty of posts by Sydney supporters where they rate the entire list, either in the context of games, performance this season, or role in 2019. If anything most of these are wildly optimistic, especially about fringe players, in this context you will find plenty of intelligent and informed commentary but struggle to find 10% of Sydney supporters who want to retain Hannebery at any price.
Secondly, have you seen him play live this year yourself? I've seen him three times and he was really poor, especially by foot. Substandard disposal and skills have nothing to do with any form of pre-season incapacity.
Despite this I am not opposed to his coming to St Kilda nor even paying him the 800k he's getting at Sydney as long as:

1. He has the integrity to quit if he can't get up to play.
2. We have the good sense, as the only club that would think for a moment of helping Sydney out (and as one that badly needs an injection of young speed and class), not to part with a draft pick in first two rounds this year or next.

Would not surprise me if Gold Coast go after Dunstan - if he went they have pick 17 , which would drop to 19 due to the Lynch trade and Ppick

Is he really worth that kind of pick though? It's pretty close to where he was taken and while he is definitely an AFL level player (in terms of a list spot), there's not much to suggest he'll be more than fringe 22 for his career in a good midfield setup, with some mild durability concerns to boot.

If we got a pick above 25 for him we'd be making out like bandits imo.

Is he really worth that kind of pick though? It's pretty close to where he was taken and while he is definitely an AFL level player (in terms of a list spot), there's not much to suggest he'll be more than fringe 22 for his career in a good midfield setup, with some mild durability concerns to boot.

If we got a pick above 25 for him we'd be making out like bandits imo.
What I would like to know is if he has had injury problems , it could why he isn't come on the way we would of liked - if he has keep him and hope we get a Hayes or Mitchell to help him with his game.

B- Gears Brown Roberton
C- Billings Steele Acres
R- Marshall Ross Clark

I'd def have McKenzie, Austin and Pierce in the team next year prob at the expense of White, Dunstan and Brown.

Does Shiel get tagged pretty much every week like Stuv does?

Imagine Stuv running around in the GWS midfield without a tag most weeks! :eek:

He'd have a field-day.
Imagine Shiel comes to us and gets tagged, Steven have a field day not being tagged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll preface this by saying I'm certified crazy so it won't happen but if Luke was to have any interest from Sun's I'd give up Luke and next year's first for pick 2. I'm desperate for Sam Walsh, as close as we will ever get to recruiting Josh Kelly.

What I would like to know is if he has had injury problems , it could why he isn't come on the way we would of liked - if he has keep him and hope we get a Hayes or Mitchell to help him with his game.

Your comment kinda encapsulates what a shite state the club is in at the moment, when we're asking ourselves whether poor injury management is restricting output.

I know you didn't mention poor injury management per se, but there are so many cases - Stuv lost a step for most of 2017 after he was seemingly brought back too early from a punctured lung, there were questions over Mav playing injured in 2017 (now it seems maybe he's just crap).

Same for Newnes and Dunstan in 2018 - were they playing injured when they should just be getting rested? Acres too. Plus if Hickey goes through trade you can draw a direct line to his blowing up at Richo over the hammy thing.

Okay. Let's say that's right.
Firstly there are plenty of posts by Sydney supporters where they rate the entire list, either in the context of games, performance this season, or role in 2019. If anything most of these are wildly optimistic, especially about fringe players, in this context you will find plenty of intelligent and informed commentary but struggle to find 10% of Sydney supporters who want to retain Hannebery at any price.
Secondly, have you seen him play live this year yourself? I've seen him three times and he was really poor, especially by foot. Substandard disposal and skills have nothing to do with any form of pre-season incapacity.
Despite this I am not opposed to his coming to St Kilda nor even paying him the 800k he's getting at Sydney as long as:

1. He has the integrity to quit if he can't get up to play.
2. We have the good sense, as the only club that would think for a moment of helping Sydney out (and as one that badly needs an injection of young speed and class), not to part with a draft pick in first two rounds this year or next.
Hannabery was easily in Swans best on weekend and voted their best by Fox Sports.
And RORS even said he was close to their best,who was at the game.

The club has made the call to bring Hannebery in, which is looking very likely, that in someways forces our hand with Luke. With Hanneberys arrival his value is likely to decline further next year due to lack of minutes in the middle. Which means we need to offload him now. Disappointing to offload someone before their prime but I can understand the decision, he seems to have a relatively low ceiling and Paton looks okay as a young replacement.
Must hold onto Acres.

I know it was a week ago but i don't recall reading it anywhere. The local northern NSW newspaper, The Northern Star, reports that Lachie Weller is trying to lure his brother back to the Gold Coast. I would love to know the context of the article and any direct quotes if that was possible. Did anybody else read it?

We need to off load Dunstan while we can. He was slow and not suited to the game from the outset, so get what we can before we have to delist him.

Hickey and/or Longer can go also, both are only back up standard ruckman.

Acres is one who under a different coach would blossom into an attacking weapon. Richo just cant get his thinking outside of 'pressure acts' and Blake is not coached well accordingly. Hence I would like to hang onto Acres in the belief he will excel when Cho is replaced.

Remember a couple years ago, Steven was out of contract & being courted by Geelong. This board was 50/50 at the time about letting him go for a compo pick to help speed up the rebuild.

Right now we are staring down the barrel of another rebuild. Does 29yo, bomb it long Jack have a place in that rebuild?

He isn’t a natural leader.
He isn’t supremely skilled.
He does win the contested footy.
He is still our quickest stoppage mid.

If we can get a top 5 pick or a couple of picks in the teens & a handy player, maybe with some change going the other way, then I think I would pull that trigger.
Get rid of our best player and only one with pace and bringing in a banged up Hannebery at $800,000 a year for four plus years and another slow midfielder u have to be kidding

I very much doubt we will be going into another full rebuild, we simply can’t afford to due to our debt situation. Lethlan is still very connected to head office and it’s in the AFLs interest that we rise up the ladder very soon. Gill has been very clear that they don’t want to keep propping us up.
Stuv won’t be leaving and I think the club has learnt from past mistakes, you can’t toss out your best senior players and expect there to be no adverse impact on a young list.
I’m horrified that we get caught in a moderately competitive loop for years. Maybe a final here or there, but largely all hope of a flag skittled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back