List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if we draft max king we are conceding that McCartin won’t make it. Given Membrey, battle and marshal all look like good young talks for the future as well.
If it's true that Max is now 204cm (and likely still growing), he could end up a whopping 10cm taller than Paddy, while being dramatically more agile/athletic/quick, which would give him so much more scope to hurt teams.

I reckon with his other attributes Paddy really needs to ideally be much closer to 200cm to be able to make a big impact in modern footy, which is one of the main reasons I was advocating we not draft him back in 2014, whereas King with those extra inches has the height to be able to pluck the high balls that the likes of Paddy and Bruce almost never take in or above packs inside our 50.

If you've got someone with that sort of height, who leaps and takes the ball at the highest point, with strong hands, it gives you a legit marking target for the long high balls we love to send in there, and then you can have others like Skunk and Battle/Bruce to take balls on the lead, or to push further up the ground.

So it may be that we think Paddy won't make it, or it may also be that we just think he will, but that Max is still enough of a potential upgrade for it to be worth grabbing him, and then trading Paddy for some value at the next opportunity.

I love the idea of someone like King close to goal like Daniher and being complimented by Battle/Bruce and Skunk and then the smaller types.

Why? A 189cm half forward?

Unless we think he’s a midfielder with the proper training...
Beautiful left boot and plays well above his size with great overhead skills and a huge leap. Very skinny still but is tough and strong below his knees too. Not sure where we'd play him but all I know is we noticed him playing at school level and within a few weeks he'd gone from u19s at Mt. eliza to tearing it up at the stingrays. kid could be anything so very hard to gauge what pick he'll go on draft night. I know some clubs have him very high though

top 20
1. JACK LUKOSIUS
2. SAM WALSH
3. MAX KING
4. BAILEY SMITH
5. IZAK RANKINE
6. BEN KING
7. NICK BLAKEY = swans
8. TARRYN THOMAS = roos
9. CONNOR ROZEE
10. IAN HILL
11. JACKSON HATELY
12. ISAAC QUAYNOR = magpies
13. RILEY COLLIER-DAWKINS
14. RHYLEE WEST = dogs
15. XAVIER DUURSMA
16. JYE CALDWELL
17. LIAM STOCKER
18. CHAYCE JONES
19. ZAK BUTTERS
20. JORDAN CLARK

What is this sorcery.

So correct me if I’m wrong here...we will trade away our chance at getting one of the top 7 picks ( in fact top 4) to get Adelaide’s 8, 13 and maybe 21 because we are very interested in a player in the range of 21 -25 who has played very little football, yet who many other clubs also seem to be interested in so we may miss out on anyway?

Serious question...am I missing something here?

Yep, there was very good reason why Ball was right up there with Hodge and Judd as the "big 3" in that draft.

For starters, he ran the 20m sprint in 2.84sec at his draft camp, which is one of the fastest times ever recorded at a camp/combine. The fastest this year was about 2.90sec and last year was about the same, to put that into perspective.

So he was about as quick as a pre-hammy Freeman, but he won plenty more ball, was extremely dual-sided and clean by foot, tackled a heap, and oozed leadership and so-on.

He would have gone pick 1 in numerous drafts I imagine. His injuries alone may have cost us a couple of flags.

Reckon Bailey Smith has a lot in common with Ball and I would wonder how many who don't rate him saw him play when he wasn't injured.

Like when he had 44 possessions in one of his TAC Cup games as an "underager" last year.
Glad my memory isn't playing tricks on me regarding Ball! From what I remember he had as much pure football ability as anyone I have ever seen in a Saints jumper. Complete package.

In one of lifes great ironies his sister married Matt Maguire (99 games). With our luck you can almost guarantee their son will be an absolute jet ...

Last edited:
So correct me if I’m wrong here...we will trade away our chance at getting one of the top 7 picks ( in fact top 4) to get Adelaide’s 8, 13 and maybe 21 because we are very interested in a player in the range of 21 -25 who has played very little football, yet who many other clubs also seem to be interested in so we may miss out on anyway?

Serious question...am I missing something here?
It’s nothing to do with the later pick.. that’s an added bonus that they’re pushing for. More about the pick 13 to be honest. And the club think whoever lands at 8 ( between 3 variations ) they are more than happy with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A club like GC should trade for more pics. One or two stars (that might leave in two years) aren’t going to change that club. They need as many players as possible that way the odds of having some players stick around are higher.

Saints list isn’t that far off the mark. One jet or ‘marquee’ player ie Rankine and a descent ruckman and were on our way!!!
This. Why dont we push players to join GC. There desperate for players to join them. So much so. Theyll pay way overs to get them in. Target their picks.

Here’s a thought; GC will take Lukosious & Rankine at 2 & 3 stuffing any talk of trading pick 4. How credible is the GC taking Rozee rumour? I think I heard it on a road to the draft podcast & since then it’s been copied over & over again until everyone believes it. Surely Rankine is too good to pass & taking Rozee at pick 3 is negligent?

I’ll be pretty mad if we trade pick 4 for 8 tbh. That’s drastically limiting the chance of getting an elite player if the professionals opinions are anything to go by. Big, big talent gap between the top 7 (minus f/s/academy players) & the next rung. I’d prefer to try & trade 28 into the top 20.
With the new pick trading coming in, it's worth watching the movie Draft Day. What may look like lunacy at the beginning may be a stroke of genius by the time the picks fall into place.

(And then after two years it may look like lunacy again)

Glad my memory isn't playing tricks on regarding Ball! From what I saw he seemed to have as much pure football ability as anyone I have seen in a Saints jumper. complete package

In one of lifes great ironies his sister married Matt Maguire (99 games). With our luck you can almost guarantee their son will be an absolute jet ...
Yeah "complete package" is not far off the mark with regards to Ball pre-injury.

Just don't think he had any obvious weaknesses and he had pretty much everything that those who recruit for the clubs are really looking for (speed, very very good kicking on both feet, production, tackling, incredible courage, leadership, character, natural football ability, etc).

Not the very fastest (like Judd), not the very best kick (like Hodge or a Rich), not the biggest ever accumulator, but just really close to it in almost every area you look for. Hence an AA and B&F in a top 4 team by 21yo.

Reckon he was every bit as good as Selwood and a very, very similar type, but with more speed and better kicking. Probably would have won 4 or 5 B&F's with a good injury run.

Can someone explain to me why we would trade out Bruce and bring in Patton?

Bruce has out performed Patton over his career, is more.mobile and less injury concerns?

Surely this has to be a baseless rumour?

Bruce doesn't make any sense to trade so doubt we do it. Patton at any price just doesn't suit our needs.

top 20
1. JACK LUKOSIUS
2. SAM WALSH
3. MAX KING
4. BAILEY SMITH
5. IZAK RANKINE
6. BEN KING
7. NICK BLAKEY = swans
8. TARRYN THOMAS = roos
9. CONNOR ROZEE
10. IAN HILL
11. JACKSON HATELY
12. ISAAC QUAYNOR = magpies
13. RILEY COLLIER-DAWKINS
14. RHYLEE WEST = dogs
15. XAVIER DUURSMA
16. JYE CALDWELL
17. LIAM STOCKER
18. CHAYCE JONES
19. ZAK BUTTERS
20. JORDAN CLARK
SAM WALSH / Carlton
JACK LUKOSIUS /GC
IZAK RANKINE /GC
BAILEY SMITH / Saints

FIVE OTHER NAMES TO LISTEN OUT FOR:

— Calder Cannons’ half-forward Curtis Taylor is a player with plenty of potential and can change a game. At the moment Taylor lacks the endurance to play full-time midfield and is suited best to playing inside 50, where his smarts and overhead marking can hurt opposition teams.

— Vic Country tall Bailey Williams will divide recruiting departments. The tall has the capabilities to be able to play up forward and in the ruck, but has had just a mediocre season — mostly playing up forward. He can do some things that many other talls cannot do, but he will be a project player that will need some time to develop.

— Draft smoky Sam Sturt has put together a few impressive performances in the TAC Cup and has produce eye-catching moments since debuting for the Dandenong Stingrays. The left-footed forward booted three goals from 18 touches on Saturday and could be a big riser with a big TAC Cup finals campaign.

— South Australian defender Jez McLennan had an outstanding Under 18 Championships, winning All-Australian honours. The rebounding defender is a clean ball user and a player who reads the play well. McLennan has also tasted SANFL league football and hasn’t looked out of place, with the defender projecting as a likely second round selection.

— Western Australia midfielder Luke Foley has missed multiple games this season through injury, but should return for Subiaco when the WAFL colts finals begin. Foley is a tall midfielder who possesses a good endurance base and has high impact per possession.

It’s nothing to do with the later pick.. that’s an added bonus that they’re pushing for. More about the pick 13 to be honest. And the club think whoever lands at 8 ( between 3 variations ) they are more than happy with.

Thanks for the reply. :)
( in that case, hope they keep pushing for the bonus. Offer them Weller :D)

I'm surprised some are suggesting Ben King may slip past the first 8. A mobile, versatile big bloke that had dominated at both ends of the ground. He'd normally be talked about as top 3 in any draft.

Like H. Goddard was?

If it's true that Max is now 204cm (and likely still growing), he could end up a whopping 10cm taller than Paddy, while being dramatically more agile/athletic/quick, which would give him so much more scope to hurt teams.

I reckon with his other attributes Paddy really needs to ideally be much closer to 200cm to be able to make a big impact in modern footy, which is one of the main reasons I was advocating we not draft him back in 2014, whereas King with those extra inches has the height to be able to pluck the high balls that the likes of Paddy and Bruce almost never take in or above packs inside our 50.

If you've got someone with that sort of height, who leaps and takes the ball at the highest point, with strong hands, it gives you a legit marking target for the long high balls we love to send in there, and then you can have others like Skunk and Battle/Bruce to take balls on the lead, or to push further up the ground.

So it may be that we think Paddy won't make it, or it may also be that we just think he will, but that Max is still enough of a potential upgrade for it to be worth grabbing him, and then trading Paddy for some value at the next opportunity.

I love the idea of someone like King close to goal like Daniher and being complimented by Battle/Bruce and Skunk and then the smaller types.
The irony of the King twins is that Ben is the prefect,Captain of Sport at Haileybury, has had the flexibility to have played ruck,back,and forward but we keep talking about Max.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back