List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of talk on the Lions board from a well respected poster that Port & Brisbane are brokering a deal to see Port move up to pick 5.

It’s along the lines of picks 6 & 15 (via Haw for Wingard) for pick 5 & Mayes.
This actually makes a fair bit of sense, as I reckon it could give Port what they need to get up to 3 (5 and 10), as I said above, and it could also be the trade that sets off a chain-reaction of other big trades, and really kicks trade week into gear.

It would give Brisbane the extra currency it may require for Neale (6 and 15), which in turn could give Freo the extra currency they need for Hogan, which in turn could give Melbourne the currency they need for May.

At the end of all that Gold Coast might end up with 2, 5, 6 and 10!

Every man & his dog will tell you the we lack a "star" player so why wouldn't you keep pick 4 for Izak Rankine if available..!

My thinking is that GC will take one of the King boys (replaces Lynch) @ 3 with Lukosius @ 2, leaving Rankine to be drafted by us..
Every clip I've seen you just see a player who will win games off his own boot..
Gresham, Rankine, Billings, Long, potentially a very potent forward line of smalls..

CROWEATER Izak Rankine should be the No. 1 pick at this year’s AFL draft, according to long-time SANFL talent spotter Brenton Phillips.

While most clubs and draft experts have Victorian Sam Walsh going to Carlton with the first pick and Rankine’s SA under-18 championship-winning teammate Jack Lukosius being selected by Gold Coast at 2, Phillips said Rankine is the most talented draft prospect.

As SA's two AFL clubs, Adelaide and Port Adelaide, battle for the pick of the local talent at this year’s rich draft, Phillips declared the West Adelaide speedster is ahead of wantaway Port Adelaide dual All-Australian Chad Wingard at the same age..

“Izak’s an excitement machine who can win games by himself,” said Phillips, who coached the SA under-18 team for 10 years and is now SANFL talent manager.

“In my eyes, he’s the number one pick. He’s got that much talent it’s unbelievable.

“I think Sam is a fantastic footballer and is going to be a 200-game player but Izak is going to win games by himself and do some very special things.

“There’s not too many people you can hang your hat on and say, ‘he’s going to win you a game of football’.

“I clearly remember in the under-16s, Darel Hart the coach at the time said, ‘clear the 50 out and give Izak the 50’, and he just cleaned WA up by himself.”

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/rankines-the-number-one-pick-declares-sanfl-talent-manager/news-story/1739e87f93437b1474252db7bf870a73

If you haven’t heard the name Izak Rankine before, then write it down - you’re going to want to remember it.

The 18-year-old South Australian produced one of the best-ever quarters of the AFL’s under-18 championships at Etihad Stadium on Wednesday, completely owning the contest to help the Croweaters establish an early 26-point lead.

If not for some wayward kicking he could have gone to the break with five goals to his name. But a 3.2 return, including two freakish finishes, and a spectacular pack mark from seven touches was still something special to behold.

Rankine emerged on the national stage as a bottom-aged player at last year’s championships, earning All-Australian honours with his flashes of brilliance throughout the tournament.

This year he’s been able to not only show flashes, but completely dominate games.

He finished with five goals, 17 disposals, four clearances, four tackles and five inside-50s against Vic Metro as SA claimed the title.

That was after having 20 disposals, three goals, four inside-50s and three score assists against the Allies last week.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-dr...-sets-afl-draft-tongues-wagging-ng-b88886873z

Last edited:
A bit of talk on the Lions board from a well respected poster that Port & Brisbane are brokering a deal to see Port move up to pick 5.

It’s along the lines of picks 6 & 15 (via Haw for Wingard) for pick 5 & Mayes.

Port slowly inching their way up the draft board. I wonder if they come knocking for pick 4 after they possibly trade with Brisbane?

I’d be far more comfortable picking at 5 opposed to 6 knowing that Port would take a SA kid at 4 & leave Max King for us.

What could we get in return? (Please don’t say Amon & 5 for 4)
Wow, that's a crazy trade if true. Mayes would be worth a third round pick at best.

We need to get involved in this shit.

I agree. But it's obvious how desperate they are. If they want to deal play chicken... simple. We don't have to budge... they will. If not we just draft at #4 which is a win anyway.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
They aren’t going to give a completely redicoulous deal. The point is if we are happy you do it otherwise you end with nothing. If you aren’t sure then you wait.

I know Lethlean said he wouldn’t leave but if port get pick 5 and Adelaide get desperate how bout 4,28 and Dunstan for 8,13,21 and Jake Kelly?

If we did this, even though it’s the wrong Kelly, straight to the North board and ...... :eek:

3BED8FEA-0502-4748-9A69-0408AF594771.gif

The more i think about it the more strongly
i believe that we have to HOLD!
Stick with 4 even with our dubious record of development
chances are we get a star with that pick! Hopefully Rankine.
We need a player or 2 with genuine game breaking elite quality!

Easier said than done i know. But i'd prefer we do some
wheeling and dealing around the edge of the 1st rd
by trading a couple more of our own and possibly bringing in
a Patton and or Libba on the cheap if possible!

So far this trade period we've done quite well in a subtle way
But now we have to step it up. These decisions will prove to be critical
for our short term future! We need to get it right, with the resources we have.

They say they'll be aggressive!
Well now's the time for our new recruiting team to
show their Testicular Fibre!

Surely we aren’t trading Lonie AND Bruce for a 10 pick upgrade and fourth round pick.
Well he's our best key forward and contracted till the end of 2020 but its was mentioned as a rumour by some anonymous poster, ergo

giphy.gif

and deserves intense discussion involving thousands and thousands of posts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think that
Our list has often looked very even without the real stars (before this year which was just a mess)

Thats why I'd be keen to keep pick 4 rather than getting multiple picks.

100%
I dont think our list is too bad, we have a lot of similar types and a wide band of B graders. Two out and out stars plus some organic growth and we will jump up the ladder i think.
I think another factor is the economic one in that we dont have a plugger, Riewoldt type that brings the fans through the gate and sells memberships.
Need to find the messiah in this draft, it could add 10 - 15k in memberships

Think that

100%
I dont think our list is too bad, we have a lot of similar types and a wide band of B graders. Two out and out stars plus some organic growth and we will jump up the ladder i think.
I think another factor is the economic one in that we dont have a plugger, Riewoldt type that brings the fans through the gate and sells memberships.
Need to find the messiah in this draft, it could add 10 - 15k in memberships
Yet we just had back to back record breaking years in the membership department

Yet we just had back to back record breaking years in the membership department
That may be true. But we are lagging considerably from the top 8 in members
let alone the big 4 in Melb!
This club needs some of the excitement and the Big Budda Boom it used to
be able to attract at the very least!
We are a sad yet triumphant tradition in so many people's hearts with our
ability to be able to captivate so many masses for so long, considering
our woeful overall record!

But for the first time in my lifetime anyway, i'm feeling we are becoming
more and more bland and irrelevant year by year and even just on a
marketing level alone we need to Put the Groovy back into the Stkilda FC!
Would be so tragic if this glorious institution of underdog spirit and peoples hope
were to just accept the fate of being one of the small clubs that simply make up the numbers!

Looking at past Brownlow Medalists, there are a few stars at lower picks, admittedly there are a lot of GOP’s and duds as well. Suppose it’s a bit like playing two up with whom you select. :huh:
Here is a list of the last 10, where all but two are taken in the top five.

Player .............. Drafted
Tom Mitchell, - 21. :heavycheck:
Dustin Martin, - 3. :heavymultiply:
Patrick Dangerfield- 10. :heavycheck:
Nat Fyfe - 20:heavycheck:
Matt Priddis - 31 (rookie) :heavycheck:
Gary Ablett jr - 49 (f/s)
Adam Cooney- 1 :heavymultiply:
Jimmy Bartel. - 8 :heavycheck:
Adam Goodes. - 43 :heavycheck:
Ben Cousins. - 6 (f/s)

I still think the most likely scenario is we end up with pick 4. Port is a good chance to get pick 3 off GC, which will immediately kill off our attempts to downgrade with Adelaide.

The intangible thing that I think Rankin will bring is giving us back a brand of footy.

Small forward/ mids of Rankin, Gresh, Long, Billings and Steven (when he rests forward) gives us the opportunity to have a clear brand of how we play.

Hell even Lonie might get in on the small mans party given he will have miles of space while the defenders try to deal with the others.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back