List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Rare long post warning.

I am torn between trading on draft night and earlier, my head says we should do it earlier. We are in a great position at pick four, I was explaining thing to my trade illiterate father today and this is why.

We have 8 clear top picks this year, Walsh, Luko, Rankine, BKing, MKing, Smith, Rozee and Blakey. I've included Rozee because, whilst I don't believe he is quite in that upper tier, he is the next best prospect and belongs there due to the end to his year and the fact he is in the mix with the SA clubs and Suns seemingly quite keen.

In my humble and very obvious opinion, these guys should be on our radar;

1) Walsh - its a no brainer, Walsh is a sure thing, may not have superstar factor, but he is a sure thing nonetheless. He will certainly be gone by pick 4 but is the only one who is certain to not be available in my opinion.

2) Max King - I am genuinely concerned by his kicking, but he is a special prospect who would've been going pick one had he not been injured in my opinion. I am a little bit wary of drafting a tall with an early pick but would we have passed on Buddy for similar reasons?

3) Smith - Vic boy, I am slowly coming around on him assuming his injuries aren't chronic. Put him on a scale next to Walsh and he genuinely matches up quite well in most categories.

4) B King - Has flexibility, probably his best asset, can play at either end and dominate. I'd take him if the aforementioned three are taken and not be upset.

Now we can't lose if we trade for pick 6 instead of pick 8, I'll go through a few likely options and here is where my thought processes are. In all of my scenarios I'm assuming Carlton are going to go for Walsh with pick one.

Option 1 - GC replace the twin towers, reasoning, they will be replacing May and Lynch with two of the most exciting 200cm+ players in draft history. The go home factor should be mitigated by the fact they are being drafted together, its not a HUGE stretch to grab these guys this early.

Pick 2 - M King
Pick 3 - B King
Pick 4 - this is a best case scenario for us in my opinion, if Luko is available at pick 4, then pick 6 & 10 would almost certainly be on the table. Whilst this might cause issues if the club with pick 5 selects Smith, I believe its worth the risk as the next pick would be 6 and Crows would almost certainly trade for that pick to grab Rankine if the go home concerns are too strong to ignore.

Option 2 - GC take the SA boys, reasoning, grabbing Luko with either Rankine or Rozee would go 'some' way to ensure they don't pack up and go home. Grabbing Luko and Rankine is probably going to be best available selections at 2 & 3. Considering how desperate the SA clubs are to get the SA boys I doubt this is an option. Look at Setterfield and Kelly this year, Blues and Eagles put the work in early on and they will walk.

Pick 2 - Lukosius
Pick 3 - Rankine/Rozee
Pick 4 - this scenario will still work very well for us. If the two SA boys are taken, that means that there is only 1 of their big three left. Pick 6 wont guarantee a SA kid especially if (as I suspect) pick 5 will be in Suns hands, Suns could be trying their best to potentially draft all three together in this case. So pick 4 becomes pick 6 and probably the lesser of the other first rounder Port have, giving us a guarantee of Max or Smith at pick 6.

Option 3 - GC take best available, whilst this is obviously just my opinion, I believe the two best players in this draft for GC will be Luko and M King. Both represent massive upside but also a big risk as I don't believe the Suns have the ability to keep both kids there.

Pick 2 - Luko
Pick 3 - M King
Pick 4 - Rankine will still be available, and if GC have pick 5, there's a good chance that they will try to do the match up of an SA boy there. 6 into 4 allows Port to leap frog them and get Rankine. I think Port will do this as, whilst they'll still have Rozee on the board should Suns take Rankine, we all know who is the better prospect. This scenario presents a form of risk as Suns may not want to draft the 3 tall players within the first 5 selections. They may well take Smith which would leave us looking at Ben King, its not a loss but its not first priority.

In all of these scenarios we aren't exactly losing, although option 3 does seem sort of flat, we are still grabbing a King and another first rounder.

Pick 10 is the perfect position to pick up Caldwell, the guy has the sort of upside that should have him as part of that top 8 conversation. A criticism of our 2017 drafting was that we didn't pick up Bonar because we had the second pick to take the 'risk'. Caldwell is a similar risk, but if we grab someone like Max or Smith with pick 6 and Caldwell with pick 10 then we just won the draft.

The Crows are the interesting party here, I am not interested in pick 8, pick 8 is dead set no mans land. There is a good chance that we will miss out on the best kids, and Rozee shouldn't be our focus. If the Crows somehow end up with pick 5, then that would be a fantastic position to be in. This is mind blown stuff but imagine if we moved back to 6 and somehow Rozee, Smith and a King were left available to trade down to 8 and a teens pick. Ok, now Im being greedy.

I believe Josh Bruce will be traded to the Pies for pick 18 before Wednesday, that means we would have picks 4, 18 & 28. I am also not against grabbing Patton with a very late pick, lets be honest, cash means bugger all to us and he has great upside across fwd, ruck and defence if required, put it this way, who wouldn't want to trade Bruce and pick 60 for Patton and pick 18? GWS can always pay $200k next year to equal Bruce's salary anyway. Just a thought though, I certainly remember how good Jon is at his best.

We can't really lose by having pick 4 prior to draft night, but I believe - based on the above musings - that if Port were to offer us 6, 10 and Amon for 4 & 28 then we should take it. Points mean bugger all when discussing the scenarios involving the three SA kids and pick 4. It would take overs for us to do it prior to draft night and thats the one I'd take.

Go into draft night with 6, 10 and 18 and be in a stupid good position to draft King/Smith, Caldwell and a slider like RCD at 18.

Apologies for the long post, good thing I normally post on the phone and not on my PC!!
I only liked your post cause of the length and effort you went to not because I agreed with what you wrote cause I didn't read it :thumbsu:

well, for once next year's draft isn't shaping as better than this years'. I can't see a logical argument to against swapping pick three or five this year for our first next year. The quicker we can bring in elite talent the better. We need to make our assets work for us rather than have them sitting there doing nothing.

Imagine rankine and lukosious having great first years with us, how much more attractive will we be to FA if that was the case?

This.
Use next years picks now and even if we finish in the bottom 5 next year ( heaven forbid/) it just means we took that pick this year and have got an extra year into another young kid.

Rare long post warning.

I am torn between trading on draft night and earlier, my head says we should do it earlier. We are in a great position at pick four, I was explaining thing to my trade illiterate father today and this is why.

We have 8 clear top picks this year, Walsh, Luko, Rankine, BKing, MKing, Smith, Rozee and Blakey. I've included Rozee because, whilst I don't believe he is quite in that upper tier, he is the next best prospect and belongs there due to the end to his year and the fact he is in the mix with the SA clubs and Suns seemingly quite keen.

1) Walsh - its a no brainer, Walsh is a sure thing, may not have superstar factor, but he is a sure thing nonetheless. He will certainly be gone by pick 4 but is the only one who is certain to not be available in my opinion.

2) Max King - I am genuinely concerned by his kicking, but he is a special prospect who would've been going pick one had he not been injured in my opinion. I am a little bit wary of drafting a tall with an early pick but would we have passed on Buddy for similar reasons?

3) Smith - Vic boy, I am slowly coming around on him assuming his injuries aren't chronic. Put him on a scale next to Walsh and he genuinely matches up quite well in most categories.

4) B King - Has flexibility, probably his best asset, can play at either end and dominate. I'd take him if the aforementioned three are taken and not be upset.

Now we can't lose if we trade for pick 6 instead of pick 8, I'll go through a few likely options and here is where my thought processes are. In all of my scenarios I'm assuming Carlton are going to go for Walsh with pick one.

Option 1 - GC replace the twin towers, reasoning, they will be replacing May and Lynch with two of the most exciting 200cm+ players in draft history. The go home factor should be mitigated by the fact they are being drafted together, its not a HUGE stretch to grab these guys this early.

Pick 2 - M King
Pick 3 - B King
Pick 4 - this is a best case scenario for us in my opinion, if Luko is available at pick 4, then pick 6 & 10 would almost certainly be on the table. Whilst this might cause issues if the club with pick 5 selects Smith, I believe its worth the risk as the next pick would be 6 and Crows would almost certainly trade for that pick to grab Rankine if the go home concerns are too strong to ignore.

Option 2 - GC take the SA boys, reasoning, grabbing Luko with either Rankine or Rozee would go 'some' way to ensure they don't pack up and go home. Grabbing Luko and Rankine is probably going to be best available selections at 2 & 3. Considering how desperate the SA clubs are to get the SA boys I doubt this is an option. Look at Setterfield and Kelly this year, Blues and Eagles put the work in early on and they will walk.

Pick 2 - Lukosius
Pick 3 - Rankine/Rozee
Pick 4 - this scenario will still work very well for us. If the two SA boys are taken, that means that there is only 1 of their big three left. Pick 6 wont guarantee a SA kid especially if (as I suspect) pick 5 will be in Suns hands, Suns could be trying their best to potentially draft all three together in this case. So pick 4 becomes pick 6 and probably the lesser of the other first rounder Port have, giving us a guarantee of Max or Smith at pick 6.

Option 3 - GC take best available, whilst this is obviously just my opinion, I believe the two best players in this draft for GC will be Luko and M King. Both represent massive upside but also a big risk as I don't believe the Suns have the ability to keep both kids there.

Pick 2 - Luko
Pick 3 - M King
Pick 4 - Rankine will still be available, and if GC have pick 5, there's a good chance that they will try to do the match up of an SA boy there. 6 into 4 allows Port to leap frog them and get Rankine. I think Port will do this as, whilst they'll still have Rozee on the board should Suns take Rankine, we all know who is the better prospect. This scenario presents a form of risk as Suns may not want to draft the 3 tall players within the first 5 selections. They may well take Smith which would leave us looking at Ben King, its not a loss but its not first priority.

In all of these scenarios we aren't exactly losing, although option 3 does seem sort of flat, we are still grabbing a King and another first rounder.

Pick 10 is the perfect position to pick up Caldwell, the guy has the sort of upside that should have him as part of that top 8 conversation. A criticism of our 2017 drafting was that we didn't pick up Bonar because we had the second pick to take the 'risk'. Caldwell is a similar risk, but if we grab someone like Max or Smith with pick 6 and Caldwell with pick 10 then we just won the draft.

The Crows are the interesting party here, I am not interested in pick 8, pick 8 is dead set no mans land. There is a good chance that we will miss out on the best kids, and Rozee shouldn't be our focus. If the Crows somehow end up with pick 5, then that would be a fantastic position to be in. This is mind blown stuff but imagine if we moved back to 6 and somehow Rozee, Smith and a King were left available to trade down to 8 and a teens pick. Ok, now Im being greedy.

I believe Josh Bruce will be traded to the Pies for pick 18 before Wednesday, that means we would have picks 4, 18 & 28. I am also not against grabbing Patton with a very late pick, lets be honest, cash means bugger all to us and he has great upside across fwd, ruck and defence if required, put it this way, who wouldn't want to trade Bruce and pick 60 for Patton and pick 18? GWS can always pay $200k next year to equal Bruce's salary anyway. Just a thought though, I certainly remember how good Jon is at his best.

We can't really lose by having pick 4 prior to draft night, but I believe - based on the above musings - that if Port were to offer us 6, 10 and Amon for 4 & 28 then we should take it. Points mean bugger all when discussing the scenarios involving the three SA kids and pick 4. It would take overs for us to do it prior to draft night and thats the one I'd take.

Go into draft night with 6, 10 and 18 and be in a stupid good position to draft King/Smith, Caldwell and a slider like RCD at 18.

Apologies for the long post, good thing I normally post on the phone and not on my PC!!

Good post however pick 18 more than likely ends up at Brisbane in the Beams trade.

Any news on Karl Amon. A “George” on fb declaring he will be a Saint by Wednesday night. Anyone know anything or care to speculate or even make something up.

This off-season is killing me and we’re not even truly there yet... Help!!

Me too. I’m afraid the racing just doesn’t do it for me.
Cricket will help a tad.

A bit of talk on the Lions board from a well respected poster that Port & Brisbane are brokering a deal to see Port move up to pick 5.

It’s along the lines of picks 6 & 15 (via Haw for Wingard) for pick 5 & Mayes.

Port slowly inching their way up the draft board. I wonder if they come knocking for pick 4 after they possibly trade with Brisbane?

I’d be far more comfortable picking at 5 opposed to 6 knowing that Port would take a SA kid at 4 & leave Max King for us.

What could we get in return? (Please don’t say Amon & 5 for 4)

A bit of talk on the Lions board from a well respected poster that Port & Brisbane are brokering a deal to see Port move up to pick 5.

Port slowly inching their way up the draft board. I wonder if they come knocking for pick 4 after they possibly trade with Brisbane?

I’d be far more comfortable picking at 5 opposed to 6 knowing that Port would take a SA kid at 4 & leave Max King for us.

I'd be saying we're pretty keen on Rankine and it'd have to be some kind of offer to get us to change our minds.

In all seriousness though how crap would it be if Walsh made it to pick 4 and got snapped up by Port?

Todd Marshall & 5 for pick 4.

No need for to take a tall. Get Bailey Smith ;)

Rare long post warning.

Pick 2 - M King
Pick 3 - B King

Pick 2 - Lukosius
Pick 3 - Rankine/Rozee

Pick 2 - Luko
Pick 3 - M King

Would do this trade if offered.
6, 10 and Amon for 4 & 28 then we should take it.
Also Bruce for 18

Wo-man.

It’s a co-gender word these days. Like actor.

( Thanks for the heads-up. I’ll try to remember, but seriously for anything else to fit in my head something falls out. I’ve renamed all my kids buddy ).

VDS blew my cover, just ignore it...I’d hate this place to become politically correct. :p

Would not suit us for Port to move up to 5 as they then wouldn't need to throw in as much with that pick to get up to 4.

4 and 28 for 6 and 10 could be great, but if Port end up with 5 and no longer have 15 it reduces what they'd be able to offer us for 4 that would really appeal to us. I don't think 4 and 28 would come close to getting 5 and 10, so what else would they offer us with 5 to get 4?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We piss them off and trade with the crows who would be more desperate then.

4 & 28 for 8, 13 & 21.

Crows trump Port for Rankine and win the right to middle finger the power.

With 5 and 10 Port would be in a primo position to leapfrog us and into 3.

5 and 10 for 3 and one or more of Gold Coast's many later picks.

If Gold Coast did that and are hell-bent on getting Lukosious (at 2) and Rozee (at 5) and want to make sure that Adelaide don't then leapfrog them by trading with us for 4 (to get Rozee), Gold Coast could then do a trade with us for pick 4.

5 and one or more of their later picks for 4.

Then we grab King/Smith at 5 and gain an extra pick or two later on.

1: Carl- Walsh
2: GCS- Lukosious
3: Port- Rankine
4: GCS- Rozee
5: StK- King/Smith

Unless Adelaide make us a better offer, but they might not, if it won't get them Rankine.

This is why it's potentially a very unwise thing to say "we shouldn't do a pick swap until draft night", because this race between the two SA teams to get them a pick that will get them Rankine could be over as soon as tomorrow. After which they may have little to no interest in pick 4.

If you get the offer you're really after, you grab it when it's there.

Last edited:
I think you’re safe in that respect. There’s more testosterone being wielded than a pub on UFC night. But like all good fam’s we’ve always got each other’s back.
giphy.gif

You honestly think downgrading future stars to get more maybes is the way to go. If I was a list manager Id tell to run and jump. 2 and 3 in this draft seem unbelievably valuable picks. And not for downgrading.

have a look at some drafts and see how often the biggest stars DON't come from 1,2,and 3

All this talk of trading down and Jonathan Patton makes me very nervous that we are on the verge of another St Kilda sized trade period balls up.

yep

I think we need to cool our jets a bit and play it safe with regard to just trying to get talent in with pick 4. As far as getting rid of Bruce etc... the thing that can't be forgotten is at the moment we have a woeful coach. I'd hate to see us throw away players who could potentially thrive when we (inevitably) appoint a new coach.

Can’t see Gold Coast downgrading either pick for more lower 1st round picks. Currently only have 2 list spots to fill with the inclusion of Miles Ellis and the state league guys, they don’t need more picks. they need quality picks. Our pick is far more attainable for the SA sides.
That's the thing though, if Gold Coast are committed to Rozee, they could very easily enough get him at 5, so why wouldn't they turn 3 and two of their later picks that they don't need into 5 and 10?

Get Rozee at 5 and then their next pick is at 10, instead of 20-odd or whatever. Winning.

And if they're concerned that Adelaide might leapfrog them into 4 for Rozee, they could trade 5 and another one or two of the later picks that they don't need for pick 4 off us. Get Rozee there and they've still got their next pick at 10.

If they want Rozee, it doesn't make much sense for them to get him at 3, when they could get him at 4 or 5 and get another very good pick for their troubles.

That's the thing though, if Gold Coast are committed to Rozee, they could very easily enough get him at 5, so why wouldn't they turn 3 and two of their later picks that they don't need into 5 and 10?

Get Rozee at 5 and then their next pick is at 10 instead of 20-odd or whatever. Winning.

And if they're concerned that Adelaide might leapfrog them into 4 for Rozee, they could trade 5 and another one or two of the later picks that they don't need for pick 4 off us. Get Rozee there and they've still got their next pick at 10.

If they want Rozee, it doesn't make much sense for them to get him at 3, when they could get him at 4 or 5 and get another very good pick for their troubles.

If, If and If? Enough said?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back