Live Event 2018 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

I think GC are going to keep at least 2 of their State League free agents. It’s really Carlton that want to trade them out straight away.

I agree with Tayl0r: the reason the AFL did this was so the main draft order wouldn’t be compromised any further, rather than the popular “excuse” of getting mature bodies into young lists.

For me this is another indicator that there should never be priority picks (or even free agency compensation). The reason why some clubs have perpetually bad lists isn’t because of their access to talent but because of the consistently dumb choices their footy admin team make.

Keep the draft “pure” and spend more time thinking about how to improve footy operations at poor clubs. That would have a much better result.

I think GC are going to keep at least 2 of their State League free agents. It’s really Carlton that want to trade them out straight away.

I agree with Tayl0r: the reason the AFL did this was so the main draft order wouldn’t be compromised any further, rather than the popular “excuse” of getting mature bodies into young lists.

For me this is another indicator that there should never be priority picks (or even free agency compensation). The reason why some clubs have perpetually bad lists isn’t because of their access to talent but because of the consistently dumb choices their footy admin team make.

Keep the draft “pure” and spend more time thinking about how to improve footy operations at poor clubs. That would have a much better result.
For mine the problem is the 'high' compensation picks in the draft. The NFL for instance has compensation picks but they are never in the first or second round of the draft (pretty sure it's 4th round and below). Putting any compensation picks low means clubs will be obligated to trade or extend the season before a player reaches free agency. Clubs at the moment aren't giving a toss because of the compo.

For mine the problem is the 'high' compensation picks in the draft. The NFL for instance has compensation picks but they are never in the first or second round of the draft (pretty sure it's 4th round and below). Putting any compensation picks low means clubs will be obligated to trade or extend the season before a player reaches free agency. Clubs at the moment aren't giving a toss because of the compo.
If we had a system that allowed unrestricted signing of players once the draft was done it would make more sense, it would mean any player taken in the draft was higher rated than those after where as now we have drafted players and that's it.

It could work for the AFL too as long as a player had to play at WAFL, VFL, SANFL, NEAFL, TSL, TAC Cup level in that year to be signed.

Yes

Mitch Cleary

✔@cleary_mitch

Confirmed by @sydneyswans Tom Harley that Tom Langdon flew to Sydney yesterday and underwent a medical. Swans have advised the Pies of their interest @AFLcomau

8:21 AM - Oct 10, 2018
As much as I love my Langdons, going to Sydney is a good career move for him. I think he'd work well in their backline and have more support from other players than he does at the pies. But we'll really have to watch out if Ed wants to move over there with him.

If we had a system that allowed unrestricted signing of players once the draft was done it would make more sense, it would mean any player taken in the draft was higher rated than those after where as now we have drafted players and that's it.

It could work for the AFL too as long as a player had to play at WAFL, VFL, SANFL, NEAFL, TSL, TAC Cup level in that year to be signed.
Moving towards this with the 'mid' season draft. It is amazing how the AFL can't just introduce what already works in other professional leagues around the world. They always seem to bastardize it when they do.

Moving towards this with the 'mid' season draft. It is amazing how the AFL can't just introduce what already works in other professional leagues around the world. They always seem to bastardize it when they do.
The AFL isn't as professional as it presents itself. AFL House will prioritise the public perception of the league over what is objectively the right thing.

We absolutely could have six extra spots on the list for non-draft signings but there would be a massive amount of money diverted to hiding players. We don't have a few years of watching the players at college to know who is being hidden.

91.3 Reporting Hogan has failed a medical at Freo. Also stated (to paraphrase) that the deal was basically dead in the water given the picks Freo would have to use to get him. The risk of sending out 2 1st Rounders in a super-draft is just too great.

I guess with the extra $ Freo will have not getting McGovern or Hogan, they can afford to put some extra dollars into Neale's wallet, which always helps. Not to mention Bris just traded out their Pick 24. Clearly, a single 1st Rounder for our BnF is far from enough to let him break his contract. The Neale trade could very well fall over as well now.

So, what started out as looking like a belting trade-period may end up a bit of a fizzer. I haven't fully given up hope yet, but 91.3 are usually pretty accurate.

On the bright side... we will still have a pretty good pick at the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should we use the line he failed the medical... will be a very interesting round 1, and if hogan lines up

We will literally hear about it for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91.3 Reporting Hogan has failed a medical at Freo. Also stated (to paraphrase) that the deal was basically dead in the water given the picks Freo would have to use to get him. The risk of sending out 2 1st Rounders in a super-draft is just too great.

I guess with the extra $ Freo will have not getting McGovern or Hogan, they can afford to put some extra dollars into Neale's wallet, which always helps. Not to mention Bris just traded out their Pick 24. Clearly, a single 1st Rounder for our BnF is far from enough to let him break his contract. The Neale trade could very well fall over as well now.

So, what started out as looking like a belting trade-period may end up a bit of a fizzer. I haven't fully given up hope yet, but 91.3 are usually pretty accurate.

On the bright side... we will still have a pretty good pick at the draft.

So Hogan’s value has dropped if true - might still pick him up for a lot less and still take a punt....

Should we use the line he failed the medical... will be a very interesting round 1, and if hogan lines up

Alternatively, we trade 5+10 for him and he only plays 30 games for us and 5+10 go on to be the next Hodge and Mitchell. Then we could hear about that trade on trade radio for the next 25 years.

If the medicos say no, you have to trust them otherwise there is no point in having them.

If he did fail the medical it will be twice in a row that Melbourne have tried to trade a highly drafted player with a navicular injury only for their injury "to be worse than first thought".

Jack Trengove only discovered his navicular injury had reoccurred when Richmond ran him through their medical...

My modification to the existing system goes like this;

Where a top 8 team recruits a FA/RFA from a bottom 8 club for which there is Band 1 or 2 compensation, the recruiting club also trades their end of season pick (or equivalent points value) to the club who is losing the player.

For any other FA/RFA involving Band 1 or Band 2 compensation, the compensation picks do not change. That is, FA/RFA exchanges between;

• bottom 8 clubs with each other
  • bottom 8 clubs recruiting a FA from a top 8
  • between 2 top 8 trades
the existing compensation calculations are unchanged.

So for example if Neale was going to Lions as a FA we would just receive the compo. If he was going to Richmond, as well as the compo we also receive pick 17 (or points equivalent from their first picks to "purchase" that pick).

The net effect is to prevent FA/RFA being a tool that benefits powerful clubs at the expense of the rebuilders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2018 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back