2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

50K people in Brazil watched the Brazillion womens football team play. The Matildas happened to be there at the time. But no, 50K Australians have never paid money to watch the Matildas play football, which clearly is what this discussion is about.

Mr Google? The 2016 Olympics, watch the AFL cheerleader set* duck & weave when all it takes is Mr Google for a reality check..

Great day for Erin Phillips & her team mates :thumbsu:

* aka the peanut gallery.
lol, No. Womens soccer did get 50k attendances at the Sydney Olympics, but not alas, the Matildas. The reason 50k+ would turn up to watch a womens soccer match not involving Australia is that they were not stand alone matches. 50K turned up to watch a mens match at a stadium that also had a womens match.

For the record Matildas got 25k, 34K, 29K in the group stages, and did not progress. I am not sure how many of them were double headers. Given most sources give something like 18k as the biggest stand alone Matildas crowds, I suspect not

Mr Google? The 2016 Olympics, watch the AFL cheerleader set* duck & weave when all it takes is Mr Google for a reality check..

Great day for Erin Phillips & her team mates :thumbsu:

* aka the peanut gallery.
Again, Australians paying to watch the Matildas, not how many people in a foreign country turn up to watch their team, in a game the Matildas happen to be in.

The context of this side discussion is the support of womens sport in Australia. No one cares how many people watch the US womens soccer team.

For the record Matildas got 25k, 34K, 29K in the group stages, and did not progress. I am not sure how many of them were double headers. Given most sources give something like 18k as the biggest stand alone Matildas crowds, I suspect not
Sydney Olympics that is, the only Olympic crowds that are even remotely relevant.

lol, No. Womens soccer did get 50k attendances at the Sydney Olympics, but not alas, the Matildas. The reason 50k+ would turn up to watch a womens soccer match not involving Australia is that they were not stand alone matches. 50K turned up to watch a mens match at a stadium that also had a womens match.

Looked it up & again from the cheerleader set, a FAIL, mmm,well surprise surprise ....

Last edited:
Given there's no passouts then I assume people come and go through the gates and are counted as a separate person each time. Looked like about 45k.

But you're right - the AFL cop a lot of shit about the AFLW, but overall they've done a very good job. I'm channel surfing on Fox and there's a final of the women's super rugby on right now and there's literally no-one there. Maybe a few hundred on the camera side. It's chalk and cheese.

The question now is whether the AFL can monetise it and provide for decent wages for players. As good as that crowd is, it's probably cost a hundred grand for the league in security and cleaning costs (and that's assuming they got the ground rent free).
You would think that the majority of the 50k or so there today would have been willing to pay say $5 for entry, and it wouldn't have had too much affect on the size of the crowd. There's at least some revenue right there.

Surely they can't keep sustaining free entry forever.

You would think that the majority of the 50k or so there today would have been willing to pay say $5 for entry, and it wouldn't have had too much affect on the size of the crowd. There's at least some revenue right there.

The AFL can sustain the cost.

They are getting enough money out of government funding as a result of it to make it well and truly sustainable.
Put up prices, potentially lose crowds, potentially lose interest, potentially lose sponsors ect ect.

The problem with a small entry fee is that the cost of ticketing and extra ground staff will probably exceed gate revenue. It needs to be $15+ or nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes all the other female football codes look mickey mouse including the Soccer Matildas!

This comp will go from strength to strength over the next ten years.
oh look. You are talking about other sports again. Can't you just say good/bad AFL crowd without taking a pot shot at other sports for no reason whatsoever?

the fact that you used a great day for AFLW and womens sport to degrade other women sports shows how pathetic your mindset is. Sure, have a comparison if you wish, but you didn't compare. You just attacked.

Free entry or not, what an outstanding attendance at the womens footy today, especially when most were talking 20k during the week.[
Totally agree. in fact, it was an extraordinary crowd - quite historic, really. I would never have imagined this 3 years ago (or even 3 days ago).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back