2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dylan Williams still in play too. Interesting times.
Yer, forgot about him, would be a great get at our current pick 31... he could realistically still slide that far. I'd be over the moon if we ended up with Rivers and Williams, still plenty of good potential kids on the board for us to choose from.

Who’s the best pacy running defender with elite foot skills and contested ability left on the board and the best inside outside mid?
There really isn’t a running defender like you described left.

The closest would be if you spliced Will Gould and Trent Bianco together.

As for inside outside mid. I’m of the firm opinion that’s what Trent Rivers will become.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at AFL Draft Central rankings for who are their best player left on board.

Will Gould
Trent Rivers
Josh Worrell
Deven Robertson
Trent Bianco
Jackson Mead
Dylan Wiliams
Cameron Taheny
Mitch O'Neill
Jay Rantall
Jeremy Sharp
Elijah Taylor
Harrison Jones

I'm in two minds whether we just take best available at our two picks, or look to trade.

Robertson for me. What an interesting draft the way it has fallen so far and who knows. Robertson is a footballer and a tough inside mid. I commented earlier that instead of looking at what they can’t do it’s what they can do and his national champs were one of the better ones. Is his ceiling high? Maybe, maybe not but he can play, he is a leader and has the right mindset IMO.
THIS

In the ethos of trade for needs, draft for talent is Deven the best left on the board? His kicking maybe suspect but his clearances, tackles and handballs aren't. Remember we thrived on some fast, chaos ball last year (GWS backline pantsing us in that final quarter aside).
Yep imo Robertson is the one hope he gets through

So we have left on the board a player with (for his age) elite possession, elite clearance work, elite tackler, Black like handball (beyond elite) skills and a West Australian to boot and we are looking at one element of his game that needs improvement. Just draft the bloke.

Probably a few we didn't expect to get a look at. We have the number 2 pick for night 2, i would expect we might get a few offers for trades. Would not be surprised if we traded out for another pick next year TBH. Think we could elect to roll with 31 and 36 to pick up another higher pick next year. Will depend on how good the offers are though.

Otherwise i think we will keep it simple and pick our highest rated player at each pick.

So we have left on the board a player with (for his age) elite possession, elite clearance work, elite tackler, Black like handball (beyond elite) skills and a West Australian to boot and we are looking at one element of his game that needs improvement. Just draft the bloke.
Port do have the pick ahead of us and we didn't take the initiative to trade up with Richmond (that I know of). Maybe the club simply don't rate Robertson just like the other teams.

What do we think port are likely to go ? How are they for inside mids ? Boak Ebert all getting on a bit
Port have been linked with Josh Worrell for some time. I've also seen Bianco and Rivers linked to them. I wonder if they'd go the local boy Will Gould? Either way I think there's multiple guys they could go for over Robertson.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back